arcturus

Beer

GRDadof3    1833

Two big holes in the ground.  That's what was there when I rode by about 3pm, as well.  They've started digging the foundation for the envelope building on the north end.  They already have the foundations in place for many of the supports for the trusses at the south end.  Maybe GRDad will have photos. It was pretty wet out at 3pm, though.

Yeah, the site was pretty wet and messy. I did get a pic of these. Were they there before?

8645765874_18cab07a7e.jpg

fotoman311    50

Yeah, the site was pretty wet and messy. I did get a pic of these. Were they there before?

8645765874_18cab07a7e.jpg

Yep.  They were put in as part of the big batch of racks the DDA installed before ArtPrize last year.

GRDadof3    1833

Yep.  They were put in as part of the big batch of racks the DDA installed before ArtPrize last year.

Ah. I never walk on that section of sidewalk. I'm always walking across that decrepit parking lot. :)

GRJohn    26

Is it a brewery or will Bell's be offered on tap? The article isn't very clear.

I can't imagine that they would do a brewery at the airport.  I would think that it would be a bar/restaurant owned and operated by Bell's serving only Bell's beer.  All we need now is for Short's and New Holland to come to GR and my dreams will be fulfilled.  

GRDadof3    1833

I can't imagine that they would do a brewery at the airport.  I would think that it would be a bar/restaurant owned and operated by Bell's serving only Bell's beer.  All we need now is for Short's and New Holland to come to GR and my dreams will be fulfilled.  

Yeah, I can't imagine they could brew beer there, probably just on tap. But it sounds like the airport is trying to get a local brewery in there as well. I did find it odd that visitors to Grand Rapids would be treated to a beer from... Kalamazoo. "Did I land at the right airport?" :)

They're also going to have a craft brew section called the Great Lake Tap Room in Concourse B. The airport and ExperienceGR are going full bore on the Beer City thing.

GR8scott    79

I hope this is this is just the first installment of a larger plan for them to become more of a regional brand. Maybe other airports like AZO and DTW will soon get a Bell's? Of course it would make sense for GRR to have GR Brewing Co or Founders or some other GR based one there, hopefully the Beer City theme means that one of them could open up shop there as well, a little bar hopping in the airport before boarding sounds like fun. 

GR8scott    79

sounds cool, I like large beer gardens! Also like how GRs becoming a destination with a concentration of breweries downtown as well as scattered smaller neighborhood ones. 

fotoman311    50

This is pretty awesome!

http://therapidian.org/local-brewers-create-tree-inspired-beers-benefit

To support Friends of Grand Rapids Parks and their Urban Tree-PLanting Project, 17 local breweries created tree-inspired beers that they will be selling August 4-10. Purchase of the special beers raises money to increase the tree canopy in every part of the city. 

jdkacz    38

Drove by Elk City Brewing this afternoon and saw work started on what looks to be a future outdoor patio section. I'm pretty happy to finally see work on this brewery.

jdkacz    38

Good for those guys, they have a good brewery. I'm still looking forward to see what brewery lands in the market.

GRDadof3    1833

Good for those guys, they have a good brewery. I'm still looking forward to see what brewery lands in the market.

Why would you think a brewery is still going to land in the market? I figure if one hasn't yet, it'll probably end up as restaurant space.

jdkacz    38

Why would you think a brewery is still going to land in the market? I figure if one hasn't yet, it'll probably end up as restaurant space.

The floor plan has space for two larger size restaurants (one potentially earmarked for a brewery). I hold hope for a brewery because I think the impact is much greater then a restaurant. The brewery attracts patrons that may not regularly visit the market and vice versa.

I'm biased towards beer, but I just feel it could be more beneficial to the market's long term success.

GRDadof3    1833

The floor plan has space for two larger size restaurants (one potentially earmarked for a brewery). I hold hope for a brewery because I think the impact is much greater then a restaurant. The brewery attracts patrons that may not regularly visit the market and vice versa.

I'm biased towards beer, but I just feel it could be more beneficial to the market's long term success.

I had heard they were going to break the brewery space up into two smaller spaces. Knowing the team working on filling the market, I would bet they've talked to every brewery within 100 miles.

mpchicago    187

It's a shame that New Holland and the Market could not come to a resolution on what I would guess was a lease disagreement.  What is the deal with New Holland?  I think they have had something like three false starts in Grand Rapids over the last 5 or so years. 

I too would have liked to see a brewery go into the market.  I do think it would have been a great anchor tenant for the place.

Edited by mpchicago

elcelc    51

Lack of parking (yes that P word) was an issue with one, if not more, of the breweries pursuing this space.  It's been close to full every time I've been down there since the indoor opened.  I can imagine the days when the outdoor is open will be pretty packed.