Two large projects Downtown to be announced?

smeagolsfree

A poster on one of the other boards says there are still two large projects to be announced for downtown over the next couple of months. As to what they are I do not know. Does anyone care to speculate or have ay information as to what they coule be.

If even half of this stuff gets built we are in for a busy and exciting time in Nashville over the next few years for sure.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A poster on one of the other boards says there are still two large projects to be announced for downtown over the next couple of months. As to what they are I do not know. Does anyone care to speculate or have ay information as to what they coule be.

If even half of this stuff gets built we are in for a busy and exciting time in Nashville over the next few years for sure.

Demand for hotel rooms for groups utilizing the new MCC is outpacing the supply at this point. I am confident you will se at least 2 new hotel projects get confirmed in the near future. One of those may indeed be the Girantana project. Also several different interests are looking at potential projects in the area. Confirmed to be looking is House of Blues utilizing the building at KVB and 4th. Not a done deal by any means but when you think about the space and proximity it makes sense.

Demand for hotel rooms for groups utilizing the new MCC is outpacing the supply at this point. I am confident you will se at least 2 new hotel projects get confirmed in the near future. One of those may indeed be the Girantana project. Also several different interests are looking at potential projects in the area. Confirmed to be looking is House of Blues utilizing the building at KVB and 4th. Not a done deal by any means but when you think about the space and proximity it makes sense.

I think we are on the same page as far as another hotel announcement. That is what I am feeling and have heard a little more. I would love to see a City Center 2 built as there is a bank looking from what I have heard. Guess we will have to hold our breath.

Does anyone else remember this image posted back in 2009? It is the first rendering that I found for the First Baptist Church surface parking lots....this would due very cool ... about 400 roomsMCC.jpg

Nashville City Center 2 could be an option, but the architectural style is a bit dated and the facade would not match the new building because of the age of the cladding materials. It would revitalize that area though and possibly force The Hermitage Hotel to do something with its properties on the same block. It could also help to close in the lot across from McKendree Church.

From what I gather one of the projects is going to be a multi-phased project with a hotel. As to the where, my money would be either on the Baptist Church lot or the Bert Mathews property @ 4th and KVB.

This is just speculation on my part but I think the project will be mixed use with retail, hotel, residential, and maybe some office componant with structured parking of course.

Just did a quick overview for the available areas of possible redevelopment in SoBro. Here is a map of SoBro with the yellow representing current or proposed development and the red indicates areas that are open and prime for development. There are still a lot of places we can build in this area. Shelby will be happy I included his property I hope.

DTSB.jpg

I agree NB. Would love to see that happen with the FBC lots. It's going to take one incredible offer for the church to let that land go. Two problems. One, the church makes a lot of money from the large lot and the deal would have to include an underground garage for ongoing revenue. Second, the smaller lot has the Next Door Ministry on it which houses women recently released from prison as they transition back into society.

The church has hired HH Architects out of Dallas to develop a master plan for the campus which would include things like replacing existing education space with new buildings as well as other major interior renovations. My Dad is a deacon at FBC and he said there is a vote coming up on whether or not to accept the architect's recommendations. This of course is very preliminary and I don't see anything happening soon. I had heard several months ago that the church might consider selling the smaller lot to fund a portion of the new construction, if the price were right. Church administration being what it is and slooooooow, we shouldn't hold our collective breath.

So bottom line is, if someone has a project to announce it won't be on one of the FBC lots, at least not yet. I'll try to find out more.

Thanks everyone! Mrs. Geek and I really miss all of you and the monthly meets, not to mention the great city of Nashville. Tampa is a nice place but... if you twist our arms we may consider finding a way to move back in let's say...2013. :shades:

I'll let you guys know when we'll be back for a visit. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to discussing Nashville's new momentum!

I do know one of the current proposals that would take some of the red lots from what I have heard is congingaint on control of large areas of land.

From what skyscrapergeek has said, 1st Baptist is planning on soem kind of campus for the church which would include some of the areas north of the new CC.

The large lot between 2nd and 3rd bordering KVB is controlled by Ragland and that mey be where one of the unannounced developments is going. I look for them to develop that at some time maybe sooner rather than later.

The lot directly south of the new CC on 4th is owner by Bert Matthews Company. I knwo they are seeking to develop that property too.

The property south of the CC between 5th adn 6th is owned by another Indian gentleman named Patel if the info I have is correct. Most of this area is currently being used for CC construction offices at this time.

The lot where Slaughter House is and the Pie shaped lot is owned by Shelby Smith and there are a few indipendant owners of lots there as well. I think if the right deal comes along that too will be developed within the five year window.

I think there will be at least one more hotel along with maybe an apartment tower, along with retail and some commercial developments as well.

I look at myself as a visionary as to waht could be and a lot depends on the economy for sure.

Will all of this being said, I think that within five years maybe ten at the very most, all of the ares in red may be developed. There are some big players in thsi mix and this area is a logical next area of development for the growth of downtown.

There has to be some connectivity between the Gulch and downtown too, and that area will be seeing a lot more growth for sure.

Hopefully with all of the development DT and in the Gulch and midtown, the momentum in the burbs will be slowed adn the Nashville's urban core will benifit.

On another note, one area that will see growth I think within five years will be the north Gulch where Crosland has assemble almost 30 acres of land. Right now they are sitting on it and plan to develop it at some point. With all of the activity in the Gulch I would hope they jump on the oppertunity sooner rather than later down the road.

This could be our decade to be the new leader in the south.

Right now, all we really have is a lot of proposals. Unfortunately I learn from experience. Until I see a crane in the sky, its not being built, but I am optimistic with some projects. We will get hotels. That is a given. Older properties get stale and the market fleshes out what is no longer needed. Older hotels a.k.a Sheraton, Doubletree, Renaissance, Loews, and the Hilton have done renovations, but new properties are always welcome, and most of the time the market supports them.

Producer2 is correct as usual. I only spent 7 years in the hotel industry, but as memory serves in cities such as Nashville, new properties are always welcome because they keep the market fresh and they make hotels more competitive. It also needs to be said, not all properties serve the same market. For example, all the hotels in downtown do not need to be convention hotels. Some are tourist hotels, and some cater to overnight business clientele. What we need is a hotel catering to the long time guest such as 1 month or more. Many people locate to Nashville for long periods of time to do business. They don't want to rent a condo for extended periods of time. We had many such guests when I was in the business.

Archived