Louisiana ranked No. 7 business climate in the country

itsjustme3

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So we go up 14 points in 1 year. Does anybody see a noticeable difference in the business climate here or is that the business climate in a lot of other places were hit drastically by the current economy. Not trying to be a downer, but if this is the case why isn't Louisiana seeing "Texas-style" economic growth. I can't speak for other parts of the state, but I haven't seen any job creation around here on a level worth discussing that aren't low-level service industry type positions and construction/large projects (which is more so a reaction than a progressive trend). Unless someone here can break something down for me I'm percieving this as "the country is in deeper s*** than I thought" instead of "Louisiana is doing something right".

So we go up 14 points in 1 year. Does anybody see a noticeable difference in the business climate here or is that the business climate in a lot of other places were hit drastically by the current economy. Not trying to be a downer, but if this is the case why isn't Louisiana seeing "Texas-style" economic growth. I can't speak for other parts of the state, but I haven't seen any job creation around here on a level worth discussing that aren't low-level service industry type positions and construction/large projects (which is more so a reaction than a progressive trend). Unless someone here can break something down for me I'm percieving this as "the country is in deeper s*** than I thought" instead of "Louisiana is doing something right".

You cant "see" it. Its not a object. Consider this: Louisiana's unemployment rate is 6.8%. Mississippi is at 10%.

You cant "see" it. Its not a object. Consider this: Louisiana's unemployment rate is 6.8%. Mississippi is at 10%.

How can you not see it. If there was significant job growth it would be evident. If you read my original post you will see that I already considered that. South Louisiana without a doubt has a much stronger service industry and there's been no shortage of construction jobs in Southeast Louisiana due a few hurricanes. Add that in with the fact that the petrochemical/oil industry will not be slacking anytime soon and voila, Louisiana got marginally better thanks to a little misfortune and several other states simply got extremely worse. Unemployment in Texas is 8.5% and Georgia is at 10.3%, you know that really says a lot. :whistling:

Louisiana got marginally better thanks to a little misfortune and several other states simply got extremely worse. Unemployment in Texas is 8.5% and Georgia is at 10.3%, you know that really says a lot. :whistling:

You can be negative if you want. The fact is Louisiana is becoming a attractive place for businesses to stay and come to. The unemployment rate and state rankings in business publications is evidence of that.

That is being snark, no need for that.

No I was not and I responded.

You responded with something that has to relevance to the question.

That is being snark, no need for that.

You responded with something that has to relevance to the question.

You obviously just want to argue with me considering I wasn't even talking to you. I answered a question. Didn't Neo say that if you have a problem then you should use the ignore feature? You're basically just trolling and looking for a fight.

You can be negative if you want. The fact is Louisiana is becoming a attractive place for businesses to stay and come to. The unemployment rate and state rankings in business publications is evidence of that.

Well here is the original article. http://www.siteselec...1/nov/cover.cfm

While we're at it what businesses can you name that have come and stayed in the last two years? What job sectors in Louisiana are actually growing?

Oh, by the way you didn't answer the question. You just threw out some unempolyoment numbers even though the all of the states ranked above Louisiana have higher percentages of uneployment.

Well here is the original article. http://www.siteselec...1/nov/cover.cfm

While we're at it what businesses can you name that have come and stayed in the last two years? What job sectors in Louisiana are actually growing?

Oh, by the way you didn't answer the question. You just threw out some unempolyoment numbers even though the all of the states ranked above Louisiana have higher percentages of uneployment.

Im not going to do research for you. If you want to prove me and the articles authenticity then you should research it and prove you are right.

And like I said, it's a fact that the business environment in Louisiana is healthy right now compared to other states.

You obviously just want to argue with me considering I wasn't even talking to you. I answered a question. Didn't Neo say that if you have a problem then you should use the ignore feature? You're basically just trolling and looking for a fight.

I don't really want to argue with you, and I'm not looking for a fight. Most people here are tired of you. If we all blocked you, you might as well quit posting here. Which would be easier on us all, to be honest.

Sorry, Neo.

Im not going to do research for you. If you want to prove me and the articles authenticity then you should research it and prove you are right.

And like I said, it's a fact that the business environment in Louisiana is healthy right now compared to other states.

Since it was you who said that companies were coming and staying and posting employment numbers it's technically falls on you to back up your own statement. I'm assuming that you shouldn't have to go and "research" your own claims. Since you threw it out there you should already be prepared to support your statement. Can't put that ball in my court.

When did I ever say that Louisiana wasn't healthy compared to other states? I've repeatedly said that other states have gotten worse than Louisiana, that would mean that they are getting unhealthier. Think much? Don't even bother with it, I'm finished. You obviously still don't have anything to contribute.

In order to recruit and retain business and jobs nowadays, many states and local governments are required to make concessions to businesses, wether that be tax breaks, tax credits, or some other type of public assistance. The states that seem to compete the best for businesses, are also the states that have given the most to attract corporations.

If louisiana has jumped so high in the rankings, at what cost has it been to the Louisiana tax payer? For example, Shaw Group threatens to leave Louisiana and the city and state start throwing millions of dollars at them to stay. I understand its a competitive market and Louisiana must compete, but at what cost? If every state is competing for the same corporations, at what point will a state say "HEY, COME TO OUR STATE, YOUR BUSINESS WILL PAY NO TAXES, BUT WE WILL JUST CHARGE YOUR WORKERS HIGHER PROPERTY TAXES AND SALES TAXES TO MAKE UP FOR THE DIFFERENCE IN LOST REVENUE!"

I think that will be a sad day when it comes, and i fear it will happen in the next 50 years. Corporations shouldn't be allowed to hold states hostage in that manner and require the tax payer to foot the bill of a private business.

In order to recruit and retain business and jobs nowadays, many states and local governments are required to make concessions to businesses, wether that be tax breaks, tax credits, or some other type of public assistance. The states that seem to compete the best for businesses, are also the states that have given the most to attract corporations.

If louisiana has jumped so high in the rankings, at what cost has it been to the Louisiana tax payer? For example, Shaw Group threatens to leave Louisiana and the city and state start throwing millions of dollars at them to stay. I understand its a competitive market and Louisiana must compete, but at what cost? If every state is competing for the same corporations, at what point will a state say "HEY, COME TO OUR STATE, YOUR BUSINESS WILL PAY NO TAXES, BUT WE WILL JUST CHARGE YOUR WORKERS HIGHER PROPERTY TAXES AND SALES TAXES TO MAKE UP FOR THE DIFFERENCE IN LOST REVENUE!"

I think that will be a sad day when it comes, and i fear it will happen in the next 50 years. Corporations shouldn't be allowed to hold states hostage in that manner and require the tax payer to foot the bill of a private business.

The same thing has been bothering me too. If we can't attract more large businesses quickly, they will start leaving.

Businesses can come and go where they want. If a state tries to gouge them with ridiculous taxes then of course they will look elsewhere.

Businesses can come and go where they want. If a state tries to gouge them with ridiculous taxes then of course they will look elsewhere.

Businesses proposition local government with the promise of thousands of new jobs, and therefore more new citizens to add to the local tax coffers. The city sees it as a win-win, we pay this corporation 20 million this year, but will see in increase in tax revenue of 50 million over the next 20 years. Businesses act as though they couldn't afford to start their new operation without that public assistance. Its a lie and its a scam. You should know that...

Grow up and stop picking fights

Hypocrite.

Archived