Louisiana ranked No. 7 business climate in the country

itsjustme3

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, some companies do take advantage of state incentives and probably don't need the help. One example I can think of is the film industry. While I'm glad they are here in Baton Rouge, I doubt they need all that help. A further example is the Green Lantern movie (which wasn't filmed here). They spent loads of money on film-shopping on a mask and promotions and skimped on the script. This is just one example of how industries across the spectrum sometimes have their priorities all mixed up.

Oh and another example is the Country Superfest which still ran without city subsidization.

Also, now that y'all mention it, it probably is a case of the other states being behind than Louisiana being ahead. But if the business climate really is improving, I'd figure it would take a while to fully manifest itself so I guess only time will tell.

In order to recruit and retain business and jobs nowadays, many states and local governments are required to make concessions to businesses, wether that be tax breaks, tax credits, or some other type of public assistance. The states that seem to compete the best for businesses, are also the states that have given the most to attract corporations.

If louisiana has jumped so high in the rankings, at what cost has it been to the Louisiana tax payer? For example, Shaw Group threatens to leave Louisiana and the city and state start throwing millions of dollars at them to stay. I understand its a competitive market and Louisiana must compete, but at what cost? If every state is competing for the same corporations, at what point will a state say "HEY, COME TO OUR STATE, YOUR BUSINESS WILL PAY NO TAXES, BUT WE WILL JUST CHARGE YOUR WORKERS HIGHER PROPERTY TAXES AND SALES TAXES TO MAKE UP FOR THE DIFFERENCE IN LOST REVENUE!"

I think that will be a sad day when it comes, and i fear it will happen in the next 50 years. Corporations shouldn't be allowed to hold states hostage in that manner and require the tax payer to foot the bill of a private business.

Shaw didn't threaten to leave.

Houston offered them tax incentives, so Louisiana Economic Development did its job and got them to commit to Baton Rouge.

Shaw didn't threaten to leave.

Houston offered them tax incentives, so Louisiana Economic Development did its job and got them to commit to Baton Rouge.

Remember when Les Miles got asked to coach Michigan? He used that as a negotiating tool to get more money from LSU. Shaw did the same thing, even if they had zero intentions of leaving Baton Rouge.

But thats exactly my point. With multiple states competing for the same corporations, at one point will a state offer incentives that leaves the corporation paying little to no taxes? At that point almost all states will have to adopt similar strategies just to stay in the game and I see it being a loser for individuals and families and a winner for corporations. IMO

Remember when Les Miles got asked to coach Michigan? He used that as a negotiating tool to get more money from LSU. Shaw did the same thing, even if they had zero intentions of leaving Baton Rouge.

But thats exactly my point. With multiple states competing for the same corporations, at one point will a state offer incentives that leaves the corporation paying little to no taxes? At that point almost all states will have to adopt similar strategies just to stay in the game and I see it being a loser for individuals and families and a winner for corporations. IMO

That's silly. Luring businesses here brings in jobs, keeps existing jobs, brings in new populations, and help to improve the quality of life.

No new jobs were being created, they were being transferred from one state to another. Its costing the tax payer money to subsidize a private business and it sounds like extortion. Thats ridiculous and you know it.

I suppose to believe in a society were businesses are untaxed and you and your family have to pay higher taxes to make up the difference. Good luck with that. Shouldn't the tea party be against such a position?

No new jobs were being created, they were being transferred from one state to another.

Wrong. If a business is moving from one state to another then those new residents will buy things in their new homes. The business will also have new vendors in their new state. Those new residents will also pay new taxes. And so on.

Wrong. If a business is moving from one state to another then those new residents will buy things in their new homes. The business will also have new vendors in their new state. Those new residents will also pay new taxes. And so on.

THATS THE POINT! Individuals and local governments get stuck footing the bill so some CEO can keep his private jet. You basically repeated what I said earlier. Growth is great, but growth would, could, and should happen with out tax payer subsidies.

THATS THE POINT! Individuals and local governments get stuck footing the bill so some CEO can keep his private jet. You basically repeated what I said earlier. Growth is great, but growth would, could, and should happen with out tax payer subsidies.

Like I said, local parishes get a influx of new residents and local businesses get new customers.

No new jobs were being created, they were being transferred from one state to another. Its costing the tax payer money to subsidize a private business and it sounds like extortion. Thats ridiculous and you know it.

I suppose to believe in a society were businesses are untaxed and you and your family have to pay higher taxes to make up the difference. Good luck with that. Shouldn't the tea party be against such a position?

I elect people who do everything possible to put economic development at the top of their priority list....I am certainly not going to complain when they actually bring business to the state by using tax incentives or improving state infrastructure. Louisiana has been aggressively pursuing business with tax incentives and attempting to cut corporate taxes across the board. The state still has to push itself to overcome the corrupt image earned in the Edwards years. I'm okay with this. Many are out of work, and companies are trying to find ways to become more efficient and expand into areas where taxes are low and labor is cheap. I'd certainly rather see them move to Louisiana or Mississippi than Mexico or China.

I do see the potential for abuse when companies 'shop' incentives- but the reality is that they are not enabled to do that if they weren't providing the promise of a large number of high paying jobs. I think Mayor Holden and the Governor have been doing a great job to keep business here and to attract businesses to the area.

What I do have a problem with is government attempting to act as a venture capitalist. I see no need for it, as such an industry already exists in the USA. If the business provided decent ideas, they'd have no trouble finding a loan. When I see half a billion in federal dollars just being pissed away to a "friend of the administration" who runs a company that provides 100 year old technology that is incredibly easily commoditized, I get angry. When I get angry, I vote for the other guy.

Buckett, I know you are a relatively smart guy. It sounds like you have been exposed to what is out in the world. You know what Louisiana (and this country) is up against. During recessions, people get incredibly desperate for jobs.....and Louisiana desperately needs to diversify its economy or risk becoming Detroit. The state can't handle another decade like the 1980s again. Those corporations that people love to hate provide jobs that us normal people depend on to pay the mortgage.

There is a colossal difference between what is being done in Louisiana (for the film industry, for example) and what actually went on with General Motors, Chrysler, Solyndra, and half of Wall Street.

Archived