Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tim3167

Suntrust Tower lighting

13 posts in this topic

After seeing the top of the tower not lift often recently, as I was driving down east west last night, the lighting seems brighter than ever and almost had an LED quality to it.

Anyone else notice this?

If we can just get the lighting replaced to LED's in that "Towering Asparagus" we will all be happy.

Actually, it is lit every night now lately. Up until about a couple months ago, that tower had been dark since I moved downtown 2 years ago...except for on special nights like when we hosted NBA playoff games. I thought perhaps the building was trying to save a few bucks.

Edited by Pete C

The timing is correct - SunTrust only recently returned to profitability.

Anyone else notice a massive increase in the number of large birds (looks like voltures) at suntrust , 55 west and amway? If I had to guess I would say there are over 200 of them. What happened?

Anyone else notice a massive increase in the number of large birds (looks like voltures) at suntrust , 55 west and amway? If I had to guess I would say there are over 200 of them. What happened?

WESH has a slideshow of these guys occupying 55 West: http://www.wesh.com/news/29845806/detail.html

If we can just get the lighting replaced to LED's in that "Towering Asparagus" we will all be happy.

Finally! Yay! Our beautiful Asparagus has LED's!

I've always liked it too, but I never understood why the city neglected it for so long...

1 person likes this

I've always liked it too, but I never understood why the city neglected it for so long...

A fatal combination of expense and embarrassment, I assume. Didn't live here at the time, but seeing as how every time the piece is mentioned in print that the writer/reporter/columnist/blogger is required to mention that it was controversial, expensive and "ugly."

To me, though, that bit of color gives it a story. Rather than just a random piece of modern art dotting a cityscape, it's "The Asparagus." It has a colorful past, which makes it stand out.

How hard is it to rip out some halogen track lighting, go to sunbelt rent a boom lift, go to skycraft and put some LED's all daisy chained, and give 'ol Buddy the key fob remote to control it.

Seems like this should of been a local lighting company write off, or a project for some vo-tech kids, or even an eagle scout project since it's public. Just get the fountain people to retrofit it, it'll take a weekend.

But, whatever you do, DO NOT get the people who did those horrible LED isotopes in the trees. That install job is atrocious and tacky, not to mention hurting the trees.

Edited by jgardnerucf