The SoBro | 32 stories 345 ft | 3rd & Demonbreun

smeagolsfree

The giant parking lot on which the garage and 505 will rise was, of course, the former Cain Sloan building.     As I recall from watching the building come down, it left large hole a couple of stories deep and the building debris was used as infill and paved over.    Which is to say, there may be a pre-excavated hole to enable the garage and the 505 tower to include several levels of underground parking without the expense of new blasting.     One of you historians may have a better memory about that.  

Edited by CenterHill

The giant parking lot on which the garage and 505 will rise was, of course, the former Cain Sloan building.     As I recall from watching the building come down, it left large hole a couple of stories deep and the building debris was used as infill and paved over.    Which is to say, there may be a pre-excavated hole to enable the garage and the 505 tower to include several levels of underground parking without the expense of new blasting.     One of you historians may have a better memory about that.  

Historian here. Never been called that before. Anyway....

Yes, the Cain Sloan Building was torn down and the basement area was filled in before being paved. I don't remember how deep it was, though.

Historian here. Never been called that before. Anyway....

Yes, the Cain Sloan Building was torn down and the basement area was filled in before being paved. I don't remember how deep it was, though.

I'm not a historian, just someone who remembers [mostly].    The hole wasn't that deep, there was just one basement level. 

UA...I also wish we could build some kind of iconic structure (not a guitar)...ala the Arch...GG Bridge...Space Needle...etc.

Back in 1975 It was to be called the "Nashville Tower" rising 750 feet over the area which would now be riverfront park. The tower was to front Broadway at 1st Avenue. At the time there was not much to look at, but instead we got the Hyatt Regency at 300 feet with the Pinnacle, then called the Polaris Room. Now, one cannot really see much from the height.

I would be open for that again. In fact, those observation decks, like the one on the L&C, are great revenue generators for the city.

I was recently up in the Chard in London, and the Arch in St. Louis, Empire State Building in NYC, the CN Tower in Toronto, The Sears Tower in Chicago, and the Hancock Tower in Chicago. The views were amazing, and tourists flocked those places to get a sprawling view of St. Louis, Manhattan, Toronto, Chicago,  and London.

A great location for Nashville would be on the PCS metals site. You build a residential and retail community around it.

I would love to see an observation tower at 800-1000 feet, but that would take a lot of cooperation between local government and private industry to pull it off.

Edited by Urban Architecture

^I'd be curious to see a rendering of that Riverfront "Nashville Tower." Probably horrid, given most of the designs of that era.

Yeah, given the time period....and the location...I think I'll file that under "close calls".

To be perfectly honest, I'm not a big fan of most 'observation towers' to begin with. It's one thing if a tall building has an observation deck (Sears Tower, Empire State Building, etc), but I'm not at all sad that Nashville doesn't have a specific observation tower. I just wish more top floors were open to the public, or had restaurants in them. I went to the top of Batman...giant waste of space. It could easily be a (couple of) restaurant(s) or a bar. Fantastic 360 degree views.

But back to the tower discussion. It seems to come in spurts. We don't usually get all that we want, and it's a frustrating wait at times, but I think we're going to see a lot of high rises in our future. The only problem will be that likely only a small portion of them will be "tall"....I would guess most will be in the 15-25 story range. I think the disappointment that most of us feel is that we can't seem to get that 40-50 story building out of the ground.... 

Emporis lists the height in feet of the SoBro as 410.57 ft.

I have not seen that number anywhere else. Anyway to confirm?

Ted Kromer or Phil Meadows, (I think it was Ted)  told WW the building would be 60 feet below the highest occupied floor of the Pinnacle which makes it between 330 and 360 feet. The original design was 30 floors and 395 feet. This building will be 33 floors and 330-360 feet, about the size of the USBank/Regions Tower on 3rd and Commerce.

Emporis is wrong most of the time and will not correct their mistakes. They are based in Germany. I have had email arguments with them in the past. For instance they are insisting the Renaissance is 35 floors when it is 31. Showing them the elevator panel does not change their mind either. They claim Palmer Plaza was built in 1993 when I told them I was in the building in 1986 and they wont change it. Don't waste your time with Emporis.

Edited by Urban Architecture

Ted Kromer or Phil Meadows, (I think it was Ted)  told WW the building would be 60 feet below the highest occupied floor of the Pinnacle which makes it between 330 and 360 feet. The original design was 30 floors and 395 feet. This building will be 33 floors and 330-360 feet, about the size of the USBank/Regions Tower on 3rd and Commerce.

At 33 stories, there's no way the SoBro will be 330'. With the lobby and the mechanical room on top, it will be close to 400'. The 395' number we have been seeing for so long is there for a reason. It doesn't really matter anyway's cause it will never be built, right?

At 33 stories, there's no way the SoBro will be 330'. With the lobby and the mechanical room on top, it will be close to 400'. The 395' number we have been seeing for so long is there for a reason. It doesn't really matter anyway's cause it will never be built, right?

That lobby doesn't have to be more than one floor at street level, especially for a residential development. Anything over 10'-12-14' is wasted space. There could easily be a level of amenities on the bottom floor adjacent to a smaller lobby that's only a 10' floor.

Most mechanical floors aren't counted on the floor diagrams either and don't particularly need to be a full 9" or 10" floor. I've been on mechanical floors taking as been measurements that were only 5' tall.

Edited by arkitekte

That lobby doesn't have to be more than one floor at street level, especially for a residential development. Anything over 10'-12-14' is wasted space. There could easily be a level of amenities on the bottom floor adjacent to a smaller lobby that's only a 10' floor.

Most mechanical floors aren't counted on the floor diagrams either and don't particularly need to be a full 9" or 10" floor. I've been on mechanical floors taking as been measurements that were only 5' tall.

I'm sure what your saying is true in some cases, but just going off the renderings, the lobby (at least to me anyway's) looks a lot more than 10' tall. We also don't exactly know how tall the ceilings will be either. I would assume since this is supposed to be a "luxury" apartment tower, your going to have at least 10' ceilings in the regular apartments, and could be as high as 11' or 12'. If there's going to be penthouses, those would more than likely be taller. To be honest, we still don't know which tower is being built yet. The only thing I'm fairly certain about is that if this tower is going to be 33 stories, we can pretty much guarantee that it will be taller then 330'.

SoBro_zps1c396e04.jpg

Edited by mirydi

I'm sure what your saying is true in some cases, but just going off the renderings, the lobby (at least to me anyway's) looks a lot more than 10' tall. We also don't exactly know how tall the ceilings will be either. I would assume since this is supposed to be a "luxury" apartment tower, your going to have at least 10' ceilings in the regular apartments, and could be as high as 11' or 12'. If there's going to be penthouses, those would more than likely be taller. To be honest, we still don't know which tower is being built yet. The only thing I'm fairly certain about is that if this tower is going to be 33 stories, we can pretty much guarantee that it will be taller then 330'.

A lot of penthouses are double floors, not necessarily floors with higher ceilings. Design wise, it's a pain to have 10 or 12 floors sitting at 9' or 10' and then jump to have other floors at 12' or so. That would throw off your elevation grids as well as break the flow of the facade's spacing. Most residential developments have 9' or 10' ceilings. 

I was in a 30 story building once that was 280 feet. It had 8 foot ceilings,  and built in the 1970's.  So yes, a 33 story tower can be 330-360 feet.  The Sheraton is 28 floors and 299 feet.