The SoBro | 32 stories 345 ft | 3rd & Demonbreun

smeagolsfree

The roof is at 328'.The mechanical roof is at 336'. 33 floors.

Kinda depressing, but I will take it. So it will be almost 100 ft shorter than the Pinnacle? Are office floors that much taller? Pinnacle is 4 floors less but over 100 feet taller.  Should be interesting to see how this will fit into the skyline. To me the rendering is just shouting to be taller than 328'

Edited by bigeasy

Kinda depressing, but I will take it. So it will be almost 100 ft shorter than the Pinnacle? Are office floors that much taller? Pinnacle is 4 floors less but over 100 feet taller.  Should be interesting to see how this will fit into the skyline. To me the rendering is just shouting to be taller than 328'

Yeah, there's a lot more mechanical space that's needed for various things, drop ceilings, etc. 

I'm really confused by the height... It seems like tall ceilings are very much in vogue these days and a lack of height seems like a negative. Don't most structures also have space in between each floor for plumbing, etc?

I feel like the quoted height gives barely enough for 8' ceilings on each floor.

Edited by Vrtigo

Hey, anything over 300 feet is BIG for Nashville. We are not a skyscraper city, and most of our peers are not either. If you look at 10 or so of our peer cities, they are not building anything at all such as  Jacksonville, Louisville, Indianapolis, Birmingham, Little Rock, Memphis, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Mobile, Tulsa, OK City (the Devon tower not withstanding) Tucson, Phoenix  etc... I would not place us as a peer city to Austin or Charlotte. They are so much bigger depending on how you look at it.

I'll take 300+ feet in Nashville any day of the week. Density, density, density.

• Like 1

I'm really confused by the height... It seems like tall ceilings are very much in vogue these days and a lack of height seems like a negative. Don't most structures also have space in between each floor for plumbing, etc?

I feel like the quoted height gives barely enough for 8' ceilings on each floor.

A lack of tall ceilings isn't a negative, it's just a sign that this isn't Chicago or NYC. 

Plumbing and other conduit can be stacked. 

Hey, anything over 300 feet is BIG for Nashville. We are not a skyscraper city, and most of our peers are not either. If you look at 10 or so of our peer cities, they are not building anything at all such as  Jacksonville, Louisville, Indianapolis, Birmingham, Little Rock, Memphis, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Mobile, Tulsa, OK City (the Devon tower not withstanding) Tucson, Phoenix  etc... I would not place us as a peer city to Austin or Charlotte. They are so much bigger depending on how you look at it.

I'll take 300+ feet in Nashville any day of the week. Density, density, density.

Indy just built a tall JW Marriott Hotel too long ago next to their convention center.  As I mentioned at our last forum meet, Indy may not have a lot going on at this very moment, but that is because they are just catching their breath from a period of a few years in which Indy saw a vast amount of new construction and renovation all over the downtown area leading up to their hosting of the superbowl.  They have also recently done a pretty major renovation of their zoo, which is also close to downtown, and built a brand new county hospital in their medical district, which is also not far from downtown.

You're right that not a lot of these buildings were tall.  But the amount and quality of their recent construction projects has been impressive.

Low ceilings are most definitely a negative. I wouldn't even consider a home with anything under 10' ceilings, and I'm sure most people would be turned off by that as well. That's just what people expect in this day and age. I have a friend who has an older home with 8' ceilings, and anytime I go over there it feels like I'm in a coffin. I assure you anytime someone can stand in a home and touch the ceiling with you hands...it's a big negative. As for the SoBro, I can't see this building having anything less than 10' ceilings. If it were less than that I would be shocked. This is after all supposed to a 'luxury' apartment tower. Kinda of a tough sell on the luxury part if you have super low ceilings. I saw a listing not too long ago for a condo unit in 1212. I can't remember if it said 10 or 12' ceilings, but it definitely wasn't 8 or 9'. 10'+ ceilings are pretty much the standard today. 

Edited by mirydi