The SoBro | 32 stories 345 ft | 3rd & Demonbreun

smeagolsfree

Indy just built a tall JW Marriott Hotel too long ago next to their convention center.  As I mentioned at our last forum meet, Indy may not have a lot going on at this very moment, but that is because they are just catching their breath from a period of a few years in which Indy saw a vast amount of new construction and renovation all over the downtown area leading up to their hosting of the superbowl.  They have also recently done a pretty major renovation of their zoo, which is also close to downtown, and built a brand new county hospital in their medical district, which is also not far from downtown.

You're right that not a lot of these buildings were tall.  But the amount and quality of their recent construction projects has been impressive.

I think you're referring to Eskenazi Hospital, which I had the unfortunate opportunity to spend a night in during the Indy 500 weekend with a friend who had a drunken tumble.  haha...I must say, it might be the most beautiful hospital I've ever seen.  Just a gorgeous building inside and out. 

Speaking of Indy, they also just finished a massive and incredibly impressive urban bike/pedestrian trail that is really driving a lot of development along it's length.  http://indyculturaltrail.org/

Anyway, I don't mean to get the thread off track...just thought it was worth a mention that Indy has some good things going on too. 

So looking back over the site plan for this, it show's the top of the mechanical penthouse to be 345'. Would that not be the correct height for this, or is that not supposed to be included? Page 14 show's this tower at 345'.... :dontknow:

Edit: The site plan also show's 10' ceilings, and the lobby is 17-20' tall. Can't tell exactly 

Edited by mirydi

Either way it's still going to make a big impression in the skyline.  In my opinion it will look good in between the Pinacle and Encore. I still can't figure out the orientation.  I wish the site plan listed the streets.  Trying to understand where the main tower will be situated and where the shorter part with the pool on the roof will be.  Please if anyone could enlighten me it would be greatly appreciated. Oh and another thing, I wonder if an OxBlue cam will be set up?

Either way it's still going to make a big impression in the skyline.  In my opinion it will look good in between the Pinacle and Encore. I still can't figure out the orientation.  I wish the site plan listed the streets.  Trying to understand where the main tower will be situated and where the shorter part with the pool on the roof will be.  Please if anyone could enlighten me it would be greatly appreciated. Oh and another thing, I wonder if an OxBlue cam will be set up?

If you can look at the site plan go to page 16. It gives you an aerial view of how it's orientated. 

Here is the link...ftp://freeplotting.com/old/archive/SOBRO-%20Arch.pdf

Someone mentioned earlier that Tony said 505 CST will be apartments and condos.  He sounds pretty confident about this.  I wonder if it will happen in the near future, or after SoBro is complete?  And then there is the Turnberry project, who knows what that holds!  Exciting times for Nashville.  I can't wait to make it home soon.  So over Vagina Beach!

• Like 2

I'm looking at a satellite image of Sobro from this year.  Man is it filling up quick!!  I have to imagine that the empty lots fronting first will go pretty quickly once the new amphitheater and park is finished since they'll be directly across the street from it.  And it's surely just a matter of time before the last large parking lot that sits between KVB/Molloy/2nd/3rd is developed into something.  A residential/retail complex filled with practical local-orriented retail (pharmacies/liquor stores/department stores/grocers etc.) sure would be nice there. 

• Like 1

I'm looking at a satellite image of Sobro from this year.  Man is it filling up quick!!  I have to imagine that the empty lots fronting first will go pretty quickly once the new amphitheater and park is finished since they'll be directly across the street from it.  And it's surely just a matter of time before the last large parking lot that sits between KVB/Molloy/2nd/3rd is developed into something.  A residential/retail complex filled with practical local-orriented retail (pharmacies/liquor stores/department stores/grocers etc.) sure would be nice there. 

Haha I was just doing the same thing!  I was on Google Earth so I could get an idea of how the SoBro is going to be oriented.  So much going on!  And then there is the amphitheater that's is going to be a nice addition.

328' for the main roof. 345' for the mechanical penthouse. In the books, it will count as 345'...not that it really matters.

Also....we mentioned earlier, when Walgreens had plans for a downtown location, that somewhere in SoBro might be a better choice. What about here?

This tower, being apartments and likely delivered as such will be a heavy weight to measure and see where the high rise living market could go now. Now with 1212 sales doing fairly well and the apartment demand undying, this could likely spur new hish rise apartment developments. While likely not to the extent to what Austin has been experiencing, it could lead to at least a handful of other proposals getting financed. The banks will be watching this carefully, like as what's been done with 1212.

I think the above ground garage is kind of a bummer, but it's pretty much par for the course on many developments here and elsewhere around the nation. Otherwise, I think this tower, if executed well, will be only the third residential tower of any real distinction, as far as design and materials, built since the mid-2000s urban real estate boom (alongside Adelicia and Terrazo, IMO). It's nice that the balconies are integrated into the form of the building, not hanging off and protruding from the facade. And it's totally not a box! Which should be huge for a lot of you (Except for the garage which is such a box). I hope it stays apartments. But then again, at this price range, it probably doesn't really matter if it's apartments or condos. 

Congrats to Tony Giarratana for sticking with it and getting another major project underway.

If it were to stay apartments and lease at a high rate--which I think it will--this could definitely spur a boom in apartment construction within the inner loop. Hopefully, they won't all be high rises and for high rollers. There are tons of empty and underutilized lots, and there is room for different heights and scales and hopefully price ranges, too. 

• Like 2

I could not read the PDF. The text was too small and for some reason I could make it larger. In any case, I thought there were at least 2 floors of underground parking as well. At least there are in the first two proposals. In any case,  if this is indeed 33 floors sitting on top of the parking garage, it can be concluded that this 345 foot tower will seem to exceed that unless the garage portion is counted in the floor count like the Pinnacle which has only 22 floors above ground, and they include the five stories of parking in the floor count.

In any case, this will be a fun project to watch rise, and indeed if the parking is all above ground, that this will rise fast and could top out in a year and a half.

So I wonder what is going on with the diner?

Correct me if I am wrong, but since the parking is above ground, shouldn't we see this tower rise quick like 1212 in the Gulch?

The diner currently has a stop work order. That is all covered under the Bits and Pieces thread. In a nutshell, they applied for a permit for rehabilitation, and instead demolished the old building and started from scratch. The work they were doing did not match the permits they applied for. Brett or Ron may have better insight.

They also encroached on Tony's property.

Edited by Urban Architecture
  • Like 1

Do you guys think the SoBro will have much impact spurring further development in that area? A significant impact? And if so, what do you envision that might be in the pipeline?

Absolutely. Remember Michael Hayes owns the massive lot across from the Hyatt Place hotel. I could envision a couple of 20 story residential towers there in the next 3-5 years. The next lot I really want to see improved is the surface parking lot where the Westin, then The Hyatt Regency was to go on 2nd and Broadway. Although I abhor surface parking lots, the ones that are discombobulated and uneven are the ones that need development first. Large rectangular or square lots can still fill a need while incorpporating landscaping and sidewalks, but the ones that are a mix of uneven lots, and odd shapes disrupt the flow of development. That is why Tony developing his lot will really "square" the street scape up.

Does anyone know any numbers on how many people are living in the downtown core now...as compared to say, 10 years ago?  Just wondering how much of an impact these apartments (like SoBro) and condo towers are having on the DT core.

Also...how many people living downtown do you guys think we need before we start to see more retail start to blossom?