The SoBro | 32 stories 345 ft | 3rd & Demonbreun

smeagolsfree

This was discussed at the meet. The foundation had some bracing rigging in place, however; I don't see this diner being completed due to the codes issues not being resolved yet. I could, and some agreed, see this project scrapped. I bet this is scraped, and this sliver of land be a tiny pocket park for residents to walk their pets. The sidewalk will be restored, and maybe a little landscaping to make it look nice.

Except that the diner property is privately owned and the current owner is not going to put a park on it.  He may or may not abandon his plans, but if he decides to sell the property, absent a sale to MDHA, which I don't see happening, the property will be developed into some other commercial use.       

Not that I agree with Mr. Giarratana's tactics, but he does have a point. If construction is allowed to resume on what will now essentially be a brand-new building (the Diner) then it should be required to adhere to the DTC. It's a similar issue to the drawn-out McDonald's situation on Broadway, except that McDonald's development team obviously had a better understanding of the DTC. Had they completely torn down their burned-out building before (or even after) receiving a zoning variance we wouldn't be left with the ridiculously suburban island-in-a-sea-of-asphalt style structure that sits there now.

In response to this deceptive "protest", Steve Smith [owner of Avenue Diner and the other Broadway businesses] sent out a press release this afternoon that includes this: "There will be no live entertainment or stages in the diner, making it a place for people to enjoy good conversation with a good meal."

Avenue Diner, LLC were wrong to tear down the previous building without permission, but they still have a right to build a diner as planned on this lot. It's not helping the opposition that they are resorting to such deceptive statements and tactics to sway the public.

The construction plans are very clear [assuming they are accurate] - there are no performance spaces anywhere in this building.

http://www.pgplans.com/viewer/viewer.php?job=133&section=240&file=001T1.PDF

The construction plans are very clear [assuming they are accurate] - there are no performance spaces anywhere in this building.

http://www.pgplans.com/viewer/viewer.php?job=133&section=240&file=001T1.PDF

True, but that 4th floor has more than enough space for a riser or collapsible stage.  I understand Tony G's concern and given the history with this diner so far I wouldn't consider it unthinkable to have live music there. The addition of a somewhat permanent stage wouldn't take any time and could be added (illegally) whenever. They've already violated one code, they'll violate another one. 

Any how does he feel about the amphitheater, which will draw significantly more people and noise?

Two words:

Nights

(and/or)

Weekends.

Any one of us has driven down Broadway in the middle of the afternoon and heard just as much noise from the bars at that time of day as would be present at 10:00 PM on a Saturday night. I think that's his point and what he is trying to save his residents and the surrounding businesses from.

• Like 1

I just can't stand when people make the conscious decision to move right downtown into the center of the city to be where the action is, but then decide that now that they're there, the aforementioned action should no longer be taking place, because they can't invest $2 in foam ear plugs. 

It reminds me of a situation in Chicago a few years ago, where some new downtown residents were trying to get street performing outlawed because it's too noisy.  If noise level was a concern for you when you were looking for a new place, then why the hell did you think it'd be a good idea to move right into the heart of one of the largest cities on earth? 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

I just can't stand when people make the conscious decision to move right downtown into the center of the city to be where the action is, but then decide that now that they're there, the aforementioned action should no longer be taking place, because they can't invest $2 in foam ear plugs. 

It reminds me of a situation in Chicago a few years ago, where some new downtown residents were trying to get street performing outlawed because it's too noisy.  If noise level was a concern for you when you were looking for a new place, then why the hell did you think it'd be a good idea to move right into the heart of one of the largest cities on earth? 

I hear you, but in regards to what Tony G is saying, I understand where he's coming from. However, I think he's using this as a way to get back at the developers of the diner for screwing with his schedule a bit (at least from how I've understood the diner slightly holding him up. Is this correct?).

This might go as planned. Diner is built and is quiet, or its built and it's loud as hell. What this should lead to is a reasonable zoning fix. I'm not saying that live music venues should be kept to one specific neighborhood or zone, but there should be an alternative. The 4 bars on each floor with roll up windows sounds like they want to bump all day. 

Also reminds me of the complaints from people who demanded the lowering of the speed limit on 440 a few years back because of noise.  Fairly certain that the vast majority of the complaints were from people who moved after the highway was built...

• Like 1

Tony's biggest concern is probably getting the highest rents he can. And having a "honky tonk" at his doorstep might inhibit his profit maximization. At least in his maybe ill-informed estimation. It could turn out to be an amenity if it turns out to be an appropriately quiet dining establishment. Renters in SoBro should check to make sure the windows are well sound insulated before paying a gazillion per square foot. 

Does anyone know why Tony did not initially buy this sliver of land? Has the diner entity that owns it now, always owned that piece of land?

You would think Tony would have jumped on chance to incorporate the whole block into his project, instead of having to work around the diner.

This is getting kind of hilarious...this was from yesterday's NBJ

"It’s clear to me the proposed building is merely a remake of Rippy’s and Honky Tonky Central," Giarratana told me. "Do you go to a lot of diners with bars on each level, with roll-up doors and open-air rooftops? What do you think will be going on there — four levels of bacon and eggs?" LOL

As for The Diner's design, previously released renderings show a building and features (those roll-up doors and the open-air rooftop) that looks awfully similar to Honky Tonk Central.Pursell said that's the case because it allows for more room for sidewalk pedestrian traffic, and because it gives The Diner some flexibility.

"You're looking to create a downtown ambiance," Pursell said. "If you have fixed windows and walls, you might as well be in Idaho."

- So Idaho is known around the world for fixed windows and walls...LOL

I am on the 5th and 6th floor at 5th and Main and I don't hear my neighbors, but I hear a lot of street noise, so I am sure those below the 10th floor will hear  a lot, but welcome to the city!

Does anyone know why Tony did not initially buy this sliver of land? Has the diner entity that owns it now, always owned that piece of land?

You would think Tony would have jumped on chance to incorporate the whole block into his project, instead of having to work around the diner.

This is getting kind of hilarious...this was from yesterday's NBJ

"It’s clear to me the proposed building is merely a remake of Rippy’s and Honky Tonky Central," Giarratana told me. "Do you go to a lot of diners with bars on each level, with roll-up doors and open-air rooftops? What do you think will be going on there — four levels of bacon and eggs?" LOL

As for The Diner's design, previously released renderings show a building and features (those roll-up doors and the open-air rooftop) that looks awfully similar to Honky Tonk Central.Pursell said that's the case because it allows for more room for sidewalk pedestrian traffic, and because it gives The Diner some flexibility.

"You're looking to create a downtown ambiance," Pursell said. "If you have fixed windows and walls, you might as well be in Idaho."

- So Idaho is known around the world for fixed windows and walls...LOL

Mrs. Crow refused to sell it to him. She was offered a handsome sum as I recall.

I am on the 5th and 6th floor at 5th and Main and I don't hear my neighbors, but I hear a lot of street noise, so I am sure those below the 10th floor will hear  a lot, but welcome to the city!

Mrs. Crow refused to sell it to him. She was offered a handsome sum as I recall.

I've always wondered how the folks that live on 2nd ave in the apts above the clubs and bars get any sleep. It's just about nonstop for music for them. And I think there are also a couple of apt/condos on broadway above some of the stores/bars. It seems like the floors would shake and rattle. That would drive me nuts.

The below link shows the residential options in the downtown core and their proximity to live music venues on the map

http://www.nashvilledowntown.com/live/residential

Ok...I remember now about Mrs. Crow. Thanks.

Edited by nashmoney