The SoBro | 32 stories 345 ft | 3rd & Demonbreun

smeagolsfree

There are some that want to rent, but it becomes a situation of security. I have a friend renting in Brentwood. She was paying $1200 a month and without any warning they raised her rent to $1500 a month. $300 in one month. She had no say in the matter. Now her rent is over double what my mortgage is in 5th and Main. I don't want to be evicted at the whim of some apartment manager because they decide they don't like me for some reason. Renters have no rights in this state.

John, if she had a lease then this is against the law and she has remedies.

She has a lease, and she is sure a rate increase is in there somewhere. I think its the amount of the increase. $300 is a lot.

All I can say is buyer beware. If you set yourself up for this then you cant be mad about it. There are plenty of places available with no increases if that is the goal...

Hmmm, I like it, but not as much as the original design...I tend to appreciate more sleek and slender designs. The new one seems a bit wide and clunky to me.

I sort of agree. I like the older rendering's tall sleek look more overall...but I really like the curves of the new design. It's a little more "different" for Nashville. This also seems to fit the SoBro look a little more.

I would like to see us get a tall skinny residential building.

I liked the old one too, but this one changes things up a bit, and gets us away from the "square box". The new floor count was mentioned at 33 floors. Taller? Or just more floors fitting into that 395'?

It certainly doesn't look taller...but I did a floor count on the rendering...it's definitely 33. The bottom floor and top two floors are tall, and the floor at the top of the parking deck appears to be as well...so I think 395' should be pretty close.

It certainly doesn't look taller...but I did a floor count on the rendering...it's definitely 33. The bottom floor and top two floors are tall, and the floor at the top of the parking deck appears to be as well...so I think 395' should be pretty close.

I gotcha. One thing I did like about the old design was the base. It was simple, but elegant. However, as long the base addresses the street properly, and has a decent design, I'll be happy. I understand that this is a residential building, and privacy is needed, but hopefully the base will contain something more than a leasing office. Anyways, I guess I need to quit being picky and be happy that there is progress being made on this.

I gotcha. One thing I did like about the old design was the base. It was simple, but elegant. However, as long the base addresses the street properly, and has a decent design, I'll be happy. I understand that this is a residential building, and privacy is needed, but hopefully the base will contain something more than a leasing office. Anyways, I guess I need to quit being picky and be happy that there is progress being made on this.

I liked the base, and the slenderness, of the old design, but this one will have 18,000 sq feet of retail space on the ground floor so it should be activating the street. Plus by my count it has 70 more units. I think the parking structure looks too much like that of the Pinnacle. I just hope they break ground soon.

If you want this project to break ground you are probably hoping for a fall 2013 groundbreaking. There's a lot of money going to apartments. But it's not going to BUILD apartments, but rather buy existing complexes. Tony will have a difficult time financing something this ambitious IMO.

If you read the article it looks as if TG already has a partner for the project being Chicago-based Magellan Development Group LLC. He may already have the financing in place for the project if you have a partner with deep pockets and this company may just have that. http://www.magellandevelopment.com/

If you read the article it looks as if TG already has a partner for the project being Chicago-based Magellan Development Group LLC. He may already have the financing in place for the project if you have a partner with deep pockets and this company may just have that. http://www.magellandevelopment.com/

Uhhh yeah... Magellan has very deep pockets.

Nashrugger,

I hope this project works, I think there is a market for it. But the financing will be difficult. This is a very upscale project that will require lots of equity and lots of debt. Arranging all that takes lots of time in the current environment, especially in a market where urban living is in its infancy in a lot of ways. Even little projects take lots of time to get the financing lined up.

I am predicting a groundbreaking a lot sooner than fall 2013. That is all I will say. I do like the other tower better, but 33 stories is 33 stories. This design is a bit more striking. I hope they fly form this building so it will go up faster, but if they started let's say on January 1 2013, we could see a summer 2015 completion date. 2 1/2 years sounds right for this tower to be completed and opened.

MT

I think the pre-engineering work is already underway as Barge Waggoner was at the site the other day working. The entire block has been painted where the utility lines are. I would venture to say that TG is ahead of Ray Hensler as far as everything goes. There has been very little pre-engineering work done at his site and I would venture to say there will have to be a lot of infrastructure work done at that site where as the site of SoBro a lot of the work was done when Pinnacle was built along with The Encore. I may be wrong but seems to me that this would be an easier start than Henslers project as far as those things go.