Two New Interstates for GA?

Guest donaltopablo

I-14 and the Fall Line Freeway are in fact different roads along different corridors. They are very close to one another, but don't travel the same routing except for a portion of their length that overlays I-75 and possibly other parts east of Macon. That said, many parts of the Fall line Freeway are already up to the proposed standards for the Freeway, although I don't know whether any of it is so designated yet. I drove on part of the route last October but didn't notice any signs.

I-14 is generally south of Fall Line Freeway, running through Cussetta, Buena Vista, Ellaville, and Oglethorpe, and then joining I-75 before running east again through Warner-Robins (south of the base), and then apparently on an entirely new routing across I-16 to Sandersville and, eventually, Wrens. Wrens, I used to go through there all the time. This'll destroy that little town, but anyway, it's supposed to bump into US 1 somewhere just north of Wrens and then take US 1 to 520. Apparently they're going to renumber 520 as 14, although that may just be a proposal.

Like the Wiregrass Parkway along US 84 from Jesup to Dothan, Fall Line Freeway is not meant to be interstate-grade.

I think I-14 is warranted and very worthwhile. It has significantly more Congressional support than does I-3 (which I agree would never actually be named that). A proposal even exists to extend I-14 east to Myrtle Beach (over what routing I have no idea) and west to Austin.

As for I-3, Georgia will probably undertake to build most of the in-state part of the road itself. North Carolina would probably never consent to sending the road around Murphy, but one never knows. I like Murphy. I'd hate to see the road wreck that town, and I have to think it would.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Half of the reason for the new interstates is that they don't go through Atlanta.  They are intended to spur growth in areas not currently served by an interstate highway, as well as provide transportation options (i.e. trucking industry) alternatives to the high congested Atlanta area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah... that's the answer I was looking for. I was wondering why none of the new interstate routes when through Atlanta. All of the interstates in Georgia (except 95) seem to have gotten sucked into the metro area.

^ As far as I understand, these are just pipe dreams right now. Just from the gossip and various news clippings, I-14 is the more likely of the two to happen, but it could be a decade before it begins.

An article in today's Augusta Chronicle, however, stated that the Augusta area is really going to start pushing for a north/south route similar to the I-3 alignment. They really want an interstate from Savannah to Augusta to Greenville (which differs from the proposal on the northern end). So which one is built first will depend on who lobbies more I suppose...

I think these would have a much better chance of being built quickly if the state hadn't just spent so much money on the Fall Line "Freeway" and the Savannah River Parkway...

My personal alignment that I'd like to see is a take on the I-3 proposal. I'd love to see I-3 snake off of I-16 or I-95 near Savannah and head up parallelling the river. It'd hit and join I-520 in South Augusta, and cross the river into SC, following the (currently U/C) SC I-520 portion through N. Augusta, up to 520's terminus at I-20. From there it would follow parallel to the river, providing interstate access to SC's most isolated counties (Edgefield, McCormick, Saluda, Greenwood, Abbeville) before it connected with Greenville's highway system and ended there.

Just to put in my 2 cents - though I am primarily a supporter of public transit, I do admit I support [inter]state routes. To clarify my point, I consider interstate routes that provide access to rural areas as well as speedy connection between urban areas a neccessity. Unfortunately, they have transformed rural areas surrounding urban areas into sprawl, I consider this an unneccessary occurance.

Though this has likely been pointed out already - here are my preffered routings:

* I-3 (it shouldn't be I-3 though, but 77 & 79 are already taken - still something else would be better) it should go from Savannah to Augusta, then north to Greenville, SC & connect that city to I-26 in NC. Though I think Athens, GA should have an interstate connection to I 20 or I 85, a 3 digit Interstate route would make sense (I-120 for example)

* I-14 should really be an extension of I-16 from Macon to Columbus and on to I-85, again - the route from Macon to Augusta could be I-316.

I think I-14 is warranted and very worthwhile.  It has significantly more Congressional support than does I-3 (which I agree would never actually be named that).  A proposal even exists to extend I-14 east to Myrtle Beach (over what routing I have no idea) and west to Austin. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does anyone know what the route might be if it goes to Myrtle Beach? The only way I see is if it either follows I-20 or dip through Charleston.

* I-3 (it shouldn't be I-3 though, but 77 & 79 are already taken - still something else would be better) it should go from Savannah to Augusta, then north to Greenville, SC & connect that city to I-26 in NC.  Though I think Athens, GA should have an interstate connection to I 20 or I 85, a 3 digit Interstate route would make sense (I-120 for example)

It would be great to have an Interstate from Greenville to Savannah, but I doubt it will happen. The major route in this area is US 25, which most parts are not up to Interstate standards in South Carolina. From the NC State line to Greenville, US 25 is a divided four lane road with grade level interesctions and traffic lights. From Greenville towards below south of Greenwood, US 25 is a four lane undivided highway. From its split with US 178, US 25 is a two lane road through Edgefield and North Augusta; I'm sure there are plans to widen it to four lanes in a few years.

* I-14 should really be an extension of I-16 from Macon to Columbus and on to I-85, again - the route from Macon to Augusta could be I-316.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Extending I-16 is a very logical idea.

Is it feasible to extend I-24 from Knoxville to Athens, Augusta, and Savannah or I-77 from Columbia to Savannah?

• 4 weeks later...

I think if I-16 should be extended, it shall go westard toward Birmingham, and I-14 is a perfect plan, due to it connecting important metro areas, and if I-3 is approved, it should go from Savannah to Augusta to Greenville, S.C, but an transit such as the high speed rail system would be better for most parts of Georgia

i think augusta will benefit tremendously. out of the 3 and 14 interstates passing through, it will have so much more prominence as a southeast transportation center. i can't think of another city which would benefit more. what do you guys think?

i think augusta will benefit tremendously.  out of the 3 and 14 interstates passing through, it will have so much more prominence as a southeast transportation center.  i can't think of another city which would benefit more.  what do you guys think?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree completely, which is why I completely support these new interstates more than most on here :) The best thing, is the urban fabric of Augusta would hardly be disturbed, as both of these interstates could easily join with I-520 during their treks through town.

I think if I-16 should be extended, it shall go westard toward Birmingham, and I-14 is a perfect plan, due to it connecting important metro areas, and if I-3 is approved, it should go from Savannah to Augusta to Greenville, S.C, but an transit such as the high speed rail system would be better for most parts of Georgia

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just curious, has anyone ever driven from Greenville, SC to Augusta, GA? If so, could you determine if an interstate route could work?

Secondly, is it possible to extend either Interstate 24 (from Chattanooga) or 81 (from east of Knoxville) to Savannah?

Just curious, has anyone ever driven from Greenville, SC to Augusta, GA?  If so, could you determine if an interstate route could work?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've driven from Greenville to Augusta fairly frequently, and I believe an interstate route could work. Some of the areas that it could serve would be Edgefield/Trenton, Greenwood, Clark's Hill Lake/Recreation Areas, and Abbeville. These are mostly areas that were once much more important towns, but they were left behind because of lack of transportation access.

Much of the route already has a 4-lane US Hwy 25. The entire stretch from Greenwood to Greenville is 4 lanes. As well as the Aiken/Edgefield county border on into Augusta. Current plans have the I-520 extension connecting to I-20 in SC at the US 25 exit in North Augusta. Since this is the case, it would make a lot of sense to just continue that highway north along the route of US 25. The only tricky areas of the trip would be Greenwood (a close bypass would work), Edgefield (bypassing just west of town would work fine), and I'm not sure where it could connect in Greenville.

SC would never build from Greenville to Augusta. Given the Upstate's large manufacturing base, a direct link to a competing port in another state would not be something that SC would support.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe what you will see is the South Carolina Department of Transportation (SCDOT) continue to improve US-25 between Greenville and Augusta. I don't see an interstate anytime in the future but the final two-lane gaps that exist will be widened and bypasses constructed and improved. For instance, Greenwood's bypass is a major commercial corridor. US-25 could be constructed around Greenwood in the form of a limited access freeway or an expressway with a few at-grade intersections. Likewise, a bypass around the small city of Edgefield would quicken the pace of traffic too.

i think the savannah, augusta, greenville, hendersonville combo would be the best. i know that georgia wants to try and keep what they can in ga, but the population masses would benefit from the most common sense routing. if it were to go through ne georgia, it would benefit those towns tremendously, but skip the major travel corridors. originally the interstate was to facilitate millitary travel, but the civilians have taken them over. which is more important nowadays?

If I-26 went farther north through eastern KY into OH to Columbus and then to Detroit it would make a good alternate to I-75. As for I-3 it could start around Brunswick, GA and basically follow US-25 to Hendersonville, NC and I-26. That route would be more direct from S FL to the OH and MI than I-75. It would also help avoid Atlanta(a big slowdown).

I have to admit, I am a bit worried about what two more interstates will do to the AUG. We will have just as many different Interstates as ATL, with a perimeter to match. And BTW, I done some map studies of the area, and since I'm from Augusta South, I pretty much know it's development patterns fairly well. Which brings to me this question. Even if we do get these two interstates, How do they plan to intersect them with Bobby Jones (I-520)? And without going through neighborhoods or disrupting already settled highways? And another thing. How in the world are they going to take I-3 PAST where I-520 ends through I-20 and through Evans and Martinez. They sure can't extend it through the jungles of developement and traffic in that part of town. And what about inside Bobby Jones? will the central city and downtown still be shut off from connectable freeway access?

Don't get me wrong, the idea is great, and in fact I think it is absolutely necessary for us to connect to other cities. My concern is just for feasibility of placement once you get to the Augusta area. I don't think our development patterns (especially in South Augusta) have prepared us for such an addition. And anyone knows, a REAL interstate can potentially cover a huge area, unlike other highways. I'm not expecting answers to these questions from anybody, just something to ponder, but feel free to speculate.

The new interstates will have to go through existing neighbohoods unless they want to bypass Augusta completely. And when this happens you can bet they it will go through a poor part of town.

When reading the history of interstates in various parts of the country, you learn that people are not really a concern of the planners of these things. They just build them, and the people adjust accordingly.

IMO I-14 seems most feasable. You could follow US-1 and end it at 520, thus removing the need to remove older neigborhoods inside of 520.

Archived