Two New Interstates for GA?

Guest donaltopablo

I live in Augusta and I had to go to Greenville twice in the last year or so and hated the drive because all of the turns and back roads you have to take. Same for when I go to Savannah although that wil be a little better now that the Savannah River Parkway is finished. I would love for i-3 to go through greenville.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interstate 3 articles

But Broun now says he has learned how important the highway could be to Augusta and Savannah and says he's trying to get the route to avoid the Georgia mountains.

Savannah- Augusta- Greenville New Route May Be In Store For Proposed Interstate

Rep. Paul Broun says he has a plan to keep a proposed north-south highway from cutting through the north Georgia mountains while still bringing economic benefits to Augusta and Savannah.

http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/13507597.html

http://www.wjbf.com/midatlantic/jbf/news_i...01-07-0020.html

I-14 should already be built already. Since it would link augusta, columbus, and macon three of GA top metros together. There is talk to extend it east to myrtle beach or wilmington north carolina. And west to austin or el paso texas.

I like I-3 between knoxville or greenville more. I-30 extension is okay. I see I-30 would link

with I-75 like the proposed I-3. So they are trying to divert traffic away from atlanta. And bring it through augusta, & savannah.

''I-3 would provide Augusta and Savannah with the interstate access they badly need''

''Under my proposal, the federal government would have to consider the advantages of connecting Augusta and Savannah to the interstate system by utilizing an existing network of roads leading to the interstate systems in either Clinton, S.C. or Greenville, S.C.''

http://onlineathens.com/stories/011508/opi...080115024.shtml

^ I dont dispute what youre saying about Max Burns wanting to bring I-3 to Screven Co. But the whole idea for this interstate had nothing to do with Ft. Stewart, except to honor its soldiers. It has to do with connectivity between Sav & Augusta, a way for personnel & equipment at Ft. Gordon to move to the Savannah ports, and for trucks coming to & from the ports to have easier access to points northwest of Savannah.

It would make sense to align I-3 along the US 80 corridor, giving Statesboro interstate access.

• 2 months later...
Also, there's word that a committee of the Columbus Chamber was working behind the scenes on building support for the I-22 extension from Birmingham to Brunswick. The Columbus Deputy City Manager is an ex officio member of the Chambers' transportation committee, I believe. You can e-mail David Arrington to let him know there's growing community support for the project...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I believe the smartest thing that the GA DOT can do with this issue is to place the emphasis on trying to establish easier access to Columbus, GA by expanding the existing I-185 (re numbering the highway to like "I-??") which is to extend from I-85 to I-10. Also approve of the highway link between Montgomery, Columbus, Macon, and Augusta as it is very difficult to travel East to West in GA. As far as the Savannah to Knoxville... too much of a negative impact on the environment (Appalachian Mountains) but it would be good to just limit it to Augusta and Savannah.

But on a long term energy/gas thing... they should really invest in the old railroads. Subsidize them and make Georgia the first state in the south that has a European-like rapid transit system that will allow people without cars to travel across the state! :thumbsup:

But on a long term energy/gas thing... they should really invest in the old railroads. Subsidize them and make Georgia the first state in the south that has a European-like rapid transit system that will allow people without cars to travel across the state! :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It got buried in the State section of the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer (article here), but the State Transportation honchos have come together to bring a message of doom to the Governor and new legislature. Underfunding transportation could cost Georgia hundreds of thousands of jobs in future years. The IT3 project is a centerpiece in the report the State leadership.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
^ I dont dispute what youre saying about Max Burns wanting to bring I-3 to Screven Co. But the whole idea for this interstate had nothing to do with Ft. Stewart, except to honor its soldiers. It has to do with connectivity between Sav & Augusta, a way for personnel & equipment at Ft. Gordon to move to the Savannah ports, and for trucks coming to & from the ports to have easier access to points northwest of Savannah.

It would make sense to align I-3 along the US 80 corridor, giving Statesboro interstate access.

• 3 months later...

New public meetings scheduled for discussion of Interstates in SouthWest GA -

Public Involvement Meetings

At 5 pm

clip_image002.jpg

1. Monday, November 2, 2009

Southwest Georgia Technical College - Sewell Building D 15689 US Highway 19 North Thomasville, GA 31792

(From US 19 heading south, proceed on US 19 through intersection with US 84 Bypass. College is on the right.)

2. Monday, November 9, 2009

Albany State University – L. Orene Hall 504 College Drive Albany, GA 31705

(From US 82 (East Oglethorpe Blvd.), turn south onto College Drive. Continue on College Drive straight until it ends. Turn right into the parking lot, then left into the parking lot.

L. Orene Hall is the last building straight ahead.)

3. Thursday, November 12, 2009

Chattahoochee County Middle and High School - Cafeteria 360 Highway 26 Cusseta, GA 31805

(From Columbus, travel south on US 27/SR 520 and take a left on SR 26. Travel 2-3 miles; School is on the right. From Albany, travel north on SR 520; take a right on SR 26.

Travel 2-3 miles; School is on the right.)

Unfortunately, GDOT isn't recommending any new Interstates for South Georgia. That means no extension for I-185 nor extending I-22 from Memphis to the Coast, or even extending I-16 west to Mississippi. It's very unfortunate. They say the current or projected traffic doesn't justify.

"Presently, GDOT is studying the need for Interstate access within Southwest Georgia. Information on this study (Southwest Georgia Interstate Study) can be found on our website at: http://www.dot.ga.gov/informationcenter/programs/studies/Pages/southwestgeorgia.aspx. This study is near completion and we are not recommending the construction of additional Interstates in southwest Georgia-including the I-22 and I-81 proposal attached to your e-mail. This recommendation is based on existing and projected future traffic volumes plus a benefit to cost analysis which was completed."

• 1 month later...

Archived