Two New Interstates for GA?

Guest donaltopablo

I truly believe that if either of these interstates come to Augusta, they will follow the alignment of I-520 through town as a dual-designation. The approach to 520 from the west and south is still sparse enough where it can be done with minimal disturbance. As DaGaBoy said, its the northern part of I-3 that would cause the problem. If SC was willing to take on a portion of the interstate, it would be simple to extend it part of the way up the US 25 corridor at the I-520 terminus at I-20. But if the project stays in GA, there will be some angry WASPS in Columbia County. There really aren't many poor areas to route a highway through Columbia County, so this is bound to cause some contraversy.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, its fairly common. For another example there's the section where 40 and 85 piggyback in North Carolina. I think there's also examples (can't think of any off the top of my head) where a new 2-digit interstate will swallow up an entire 3-digit interstate, although there's really no way for this to happen in this case. I was just trying to show that Augusta has the infrastructure to support a new interstate through town without having to destroy additional neighborhoods.

• 4 weeks later...

Could they not split I-3 from I-520 at the I-20 Interchange? Sure it would have to disrupt some of Columbia Counties wealthy neighborhoods but if they kept it going west enough it wouldnt be that bad. They are already buying up lots of land around the I-520, I-20 Interchange...The old Microtel suites, that Palm Tree nursery and the Sam's Club will most likely move further South near the Sheraton hotel.

I'm aware that the 20/520 interchange is being rebuilt with two new flyovers - one for 520 westbound to 20 westbound, the other for 20 westbound to 520 eastbound.

Speaking of 520, does anyone know of a site that has any photos of 520 intersecting 20 in South Carolina?

^ That's correct. The current alignment (which isn't finalized) has 520 bypassing most of N. Augusta to the east (through Belvedere) and piggybacking US 25 for the last short stretch. I think the interchange will remain at Exit 5, and just be an interchange for I-520/US-25.

There is currently some development on 25 at the I-20 exit, but most of it is on the north side of I-20 and won't be affected by the interchange.

It will be interesting to see how the 20/520/25 interchange is rebuilt or relocated eastward a couple miles. I may assume a flyover from 20 westbound to 520 westbound is certain, but I will wait and see for a flyover from 520 eastbound to 20 westbound.

Any chance they will extend the Palmetto Parkway northward of 20 up towards Edgefield and Greenwood anytime soon? I doubt it would be an interstate highway, but just enough for US 25 to become a limited access highway.

Doubtful. I would love to see that, but don't expect it to happen, unless Edgefield Co. really starts to boom. US-25 is a 2 lane road just north of I-20, and doesn't have anywhere near the traffic to warrant even 4 laning yet. What I think will happen, is the intersection will start to look like the Bobby Jones/520/20 intersection in Augusta, where as soon as the interstate ends (crosses 20), the horrendous, tacky, sprawl begins, as well as the traffic congestion. Of course they'll want a highway then, but it'll be too late...

Uh is anybody realizing that I-3 belongs on the WEST COAST with I-5? the east coast N-S interstates begin with I-95 go on to I-77 then I-75 in the Mississippi valley go to I-55 etc.

I know these Interstates are losing there numbering system (I-99 WEST of I-95 in Pa!) but I-3 in Georgia when it really should be skirting the Pacific Ocean or in Hawaii is a little too weird.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The reason for the "3" in the proposed Interstate 3 would be to dedicate the highway to The 3rd Infantry Div. based at Ft. Stewart Ga.

It would be a better route to connect not only Savannah to Augusta, but Ft. Stewart to Ft. Gordon. Lets not forget one of the reasons we build interstate highways in America.

It is interesting that 520 will piggy-back 25 for its last mile or so before it runs into 20. I was kind of hoping for an elaborate group of flyovers over 20 but oh well :P

Are they ever going to 6-lane the rest of 20 through Augusta. Seems odd that they only did that 2 mile stretch from 520 to Belair road in Evans and left the rest 4 lanes. Augusta is big enough to have a full length 6 lane freeway...even if there is not much traffic on it...lol!

While we are on the subject does anyone know what they are building on the north side of Martintown Road in North Augusta at I-20? Looks like alot of land was cleared recently.

It is interesting that 520 will piggy-back 25 for its last mile or so before it runs into 20.  I was kind of hoping for an elaborate group of flyovers over 20 but oh well :P

I'm assuming the design for both intersections, 520 @ 25 and 520/25 @ 20, are still in the design stages. I will not rule out flyovers yet knowing how 520's western interchange with 20 is being rebuilt for them. Full cloverleaf intersections would be a bad idea because of high speed access and more traffic.

Are they ever going to 6-lane the rest of 20 through Augusta.  Seems odd that they only did that 2 mile stretch from 520 to Belair road in Evans and left the rest 4 lanes.  Augusta is big enough to have a full length 6 lane freeway...even if there is not much traffic on it...lol!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, 20 is the most traveled road from Atlanta to Columbia. Its widening to six lanes will be very realistic in the next couple years, similar to 85's widening up through GSP onto Charlotte.

there are plans to widen 20 from 520 to riverwatch. i'm sure that this will coincide with the rebuilding of the 20/520 interchange. when will that get started? i heard that they postponed that so that they could go ahead and widen walton way ext. and add a half diamond to 20. why couldn't they do all of that work at once? it basically sits right on top of each other.

From what I understand, the new interchange is being built to ease congestion and provide a new route WHILE the 20/520 interchange is under construction... And the good news is that after its done, there will be two easy ways to access Augusta Exchange, and it'll hopefully clear up the awful mess at 520 and Wheeler...

that site was great dagaboystinger. looks like aiken county is all about finishing 520. my question is, what happened to the money originally alotted for this project? did aiken county spend it elsewhere? needless to say, it will open up so much development to the area. i hope they have made provisions to possibly extend 520 past 20 in the future for further developent. love the flyovers. makes so much more sense than trying to combine with highway 25.

The Palmetto Prkway link has a drawing of the SC interchange at I-20.  I don;t know of any pictures, or renderings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A drwaing is good enough for me. It appears indeed a new intersection with flyovers will be built eastward of the current 20/25 interchange. It appears there may be enough room northward should 520 be extended. As for the 20/25 interchange itself, it will transform from a partial cloverleaf to a full diamond interchange.

• 1 month later...

That sounds like a good plan to help these areas. I have family that live in South Georgia, so I travel through these area alot. I think that this would help tremendously. An interstate from Greenville to Augusta to Tallahassee would help alot too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I Second that!!!!

:thumbsup:

I Second that!!!!

:thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I went to college in Tallahassee, I would have loved to have had a freeway to take me there. If they build I-14 which would connect to 75 around Macon/WR then there would be no need for it since HWY 319 is now 4 & 5 lanes always the way to Tallahassee and including bypasses/truck routes around Moultrie and Thomasville. When I was in school down there in the early/middle 90's, it was 2 lanes all the way and it would take 3 to 3.5 hours from Macon, now when I go back it takes 2:45.

I-185 should be extended from Columbus to Tallahassee. That is the most logical route for a new north-south interstate. It would benefit both cities greatly if I-185 would be extended down from Columbus.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be the best thing since bread if it actually happened... as Marcus points out, the trip from Tallahassee north through GA has to be done either via 319 or 27. 319 is my preference being that its more scenic and direct, but on the other side of Thomasville things change.

Its something about driving through municipalities with stop and go traffic that bothers me when I'm on the road. I'd drive 100 miles out of the way to avoid this if the road weren't so pretty from Tallahassee to Thomasville. There are tons of speed traps along that 319 route also, so watch out! Those small town cops have nothing better to do than sit back and collect revenues.

If they would do a route like the one you proposed above ATLman, I could visit the family up in Smyrna more and do a little more trading with you all. All of Florida would benifit from that enhanced connection.

• 1 month later...

Archived