Two New Interstates for GA?

Guest donaltopablo

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I-3 would have a negative effect on the North Ga mountains. Send it through the upstate of South Carolina, not through the pristine Ga Mountains.

Umm...I'm sure some folks in the pristine SC mountains may feel differently. But, I do agree it should be sent towards Greenville.

I-3 would have a negative effect on the North Ga mountains. Send it through the upstate of South Carolina, not through the pristine Ga Mountains.

Via the proposed I-3 or I-24's eastern extention, another interstate will be coming through north Georgia's mountains. A route with minimal environmental impact and economic growth to these towns is carefully under consdieration.

Is US-441 supposed to be upgraded to a limited access highway between Athens and Gainesville with a bypass around Commerce?

Is US-441 supposed to be upgraded to a limited access highway between Athens and Gainesville with a bypass around Commerce?

All of US 441 is slated to be converted to a four lane highway with at-grade intersections. It will not be limited access. The bypass around Commerce is finished, and work is underway on 441 south from the Commerce Bypass to the Clarke County Line.

For more on the routing and construction status of the entire project, you can check out GDOT's fact sheet for US 441.

I have to admit, I am a bit worried about what two more interstates will do to the AUG. We will have just as many different Interstates as ATL, with a perimeter to match. And BTW, I done some map studies of the area, and since I'm from Augusta South, I pretty much know it's development patterns fairly well. Which brings to me this question. Even if we do get these two interstates, How do they plan to intersect them with Bobby Jones (I-520)? And without going through neighborhoods or disrupting already settled highways? And another thing. How in the world are they going to take I-3 PAST where I-520 ends through I-20 and through Evans and Martinez. They sure can't extend it through the jungles of developement and traffic in that part of town. And what about inside Bobby Jones? will the central city and downtown still be shut off from connectable freeway access?

Don't get me wrong, the idea is great, and in fact I think it is absolutely necessary for us to connect to other cities. My concern is just for feasibility of placement once you get to the Augusta area. I don't think our development patterns (especially in South Augusta) have prepared us for such an addition. And anyone knows, a REAL interstate can potentially cover a huge area, unlike other highways. I'm not expecting answers to these questions from anybody, just something to ponder, but feel free to speculate.

run it threw the augusta downtown, which needs to be re-done by the....going east ....running along the canal which is perfect and once its in the sanbarfary area...or what its call.......it will be smooth sailing from there..it will be used by the south augustain often....problem solve you augusta people worry too much

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
That sounds like a good plan to help these areas. I have family that live in South Georgia, so I travel through these area alot. I think that this would help tremendously. An interstate from Greenville to Augusta to Tallahassee would help alot too.

Via the proposed I-3 or I-24's eastern extention, another interstate will be coming through north Georgia's mountains. A route with minimal environmental impact and economic growth to these towns is carefully under consdieration.

The SC portion of that map is way wrong. This is clearly a Columbus-centric group, or the deep south if nothing else. But I like the idea of 22, 14, and 81. Those are all logical places for an interstate. particularly 14 and 22. I like conencting Columbus and Albany to the Coast, and I still think that the Fall line highway would be the best thing that could happen to Georgia. I hope that one is a priority for GDOT.

The SC portion of that map is way wrong. This is clearly a Columbus-centric group, or the deep south if nothing else. But I like the idea of 22, 14, and 81. Those are all logical places for an interstate. particularly 14 and 22. I like conencting Columbus and Albany to the Coast, and I still think that the Fall line highway would be the best thing that could happen to Georgia. I hope that one is a priority for GDOT.

Im worried about GADOT doing projects the state needs like adding a few lanes here and adding a new road there... but these new interstates will cost big time bucks.. I see the need, but who is paying for it? GA? or is there US funding for these interstates.... if its a portion by Georgia... good luck ill say.. GADOT is in a problem of its own, having projects that are needed now are so backed up ... its insane.......

btw, Id rather see the I-4 come into play, the route from Knoxville, TN to Augusta, GA to Savannah, GA ..... Augusta and Savannah need to come into play alot more.....the cities have a bigger impact on Georgia as a whole ....

• 2 weeks later...
There are alot of excellent reasons to support these new interstates. Mostly, the economic impact they'd bring to the rest of GA, and even the southeast... I recently received a map pic in a mass e-mail to people in my industry. It envisions extending I-22 from Birmingham to Brunswick. I-14 is there along with extending I-81 south from TN to FL using i-185 through Columbus. Living in the Valley area on both sides of the GA/AL border, I can support all of this.

22-14-81_Combined.JPG

The way these are routed, it gets back to the original design of Interstates to connect urban areas without tearing through the center and causing big congestion issues. Blog Promotes SE Interstates

I really do see this as overkill for the Columbus area. I think the I-14 is a great idea it would be a faster route when heading toward the eastcoast and also probaly relieve some of the traffic Metro Atlanta has on that east/west routes. Extending 185 to Tallahassee which was put before the state earlier this year is also good. Its a faster route for people to get to the panhandle beaches, as well as the tourist/travel dollars would really benifit the poorer counties of southwest georgia. but I-81 extension is a waste of money as well as 222 and 22. Traffic in Columbus is already get bad and the addition of 30,000+ people to the city population over the next 5 years is only making it worse. Imagine what 3 1/2 major interstates would do to the city. I say just a main east west route and a north south route are neccessary. a bypass is not needed as of yet maybe 20-30 years down the line. Has anyone heard anything on the status of I-3 & I-14 lately last i heard was in march of 2005 when they said Congress had approved the funds for the study of the routes. Anything since then?

Actually, I think that the skeleton of 22 and 222 are pretty much already in place. The highway between B'ham and Columbus is almost entirely fourlaned, as is Corridor Z from Columbus to Albany/Brunswick. If 22 and 222 followed that existing route, then all that would have to be done is to bring the roads to interstate standards. Certainly less costly than acquiring entirely new route thru condemnation.

I-81 is not only beneficial to Columbus -- it also relieves alot of the traffic that is funneled thru Atlanta. Thus, it could be considered as a boon to traffic in the Metro, as well as to W Ga.

Yes that is true. I'm all for progress it just concerns me with what type of increases in traffic all these new routes would bring after all most people do travel interstates as opposed to state and us highways. It just worries me is Columbus ready for that type of influx with local traffic already getting worse by the day

I would have to agree that those proposed interstates are obviously Columbus overkill. I think the Fall Line Expressway is a good idea as well as the I-3 idea if they will just make it curve to Statesboro, or at least provide an I-16 leg and an I-95 leg, just like the Savannah River Parkway provides. I just question people's ability to plan for the future growth areas. Savannah and Augusta definitely need better connectivity, but Georgia has many fast growing smaller markets that will be large players by the time these new routes will be completed. Statesboro, Brunswick, Warner Robins, Athens, Albany, Rome - these are the markets we need to be focusing on as well to provide interstate connectivity along the routes of our larger players. These fast-growing markets will become major competitors before these projects can be completed. I also agree that the GDOT has enough on its plate as it is. All but two of Statesboro desperately needed projects have been taken off the 3-5 year project list and have been moved to the 5+ year long-term list simply because of lack of funding, not because of a lack of need.

We desperately need the Northern Arc, the Statesboro-Brooklet parkway, etc. At least they moved up the 67-South Gateway project and the Bypass widening is finally underway. The Saturday before classes started back at GSU, there was a 9-mile stretch of our bypass that was transformed into a hurrican floyd parking lot. An interstate connection would be SO awesome!

I would have to agree that those proposed interstates are obviously Columbus overkill. I think the Fall Line Expressway is a good idea as well as the I-3 idea if they will just make it curve to Statesboro, or at least provide an I-16 leg and an I-95 leg, just like the Savannah River Parkway provides. I just question people's ability to plan for the future growth areas. Savannah and Augusta definitely need better connectivity, but Georgia has many fast growing smaller markets that will be large players by the time these new routes will be completed. Statesboro, Brunswick, Warner Robins, Athens, Albany, Rome - these are the markets we need to be focusing on as well to provide interstate connectivity along the routes of our larger players. These fast-growing markets will become major competitors before these projects can be completed. I also agree that the GDOT has enough on its plate as it is. All but two of Statesboro desperately needed projects have been taken off the 3-5 year project list and have been moved to the 5+ year long-term list simply because of lack of funding, not because of a lack of need.

We desperately need the Northern Arc, the Statesboro-Brooklet parkway, etc. At least they moved up the 67-South Gateway project and the Bypass widening is finally underway. The Saturday before classes started back at GSU, there was a 9-mile stretch of our bypass that was transformed into a hurrican floyd parking lot. An interstate connection would be SO awesome!

The reason why all of these proposed interstates go through Columbus is because Columbus is centrally located. I think there is a huge demand to have these interstates go through Columbus because of the growth the West Georgia and East Alabama area is currently seeing and will continue to see for years to come. Columbus is an ideal location to pass through because it is centrally located to other markets like Birmingham, Atlanta, Montgomery, and Tallahassee as well as smaller markets like Macon and Albany.

Archived