Augusta Road

vicupstate

23 minutes ago, gman430 said:

The city wants to implement safety improvements due to the deadly car crash that happened with the woman walking on the sidewalk a few months ago. 

People have been hit on Augusta for years. Glad to possibly see some action moving forward. I hope they keep the street narrow, but maybe limit curb cuts and build up / separate the sidewalks from the street. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, apaladin said:

I’m sure they want to make it a 2 lane road which will be a traffic nightmare. 

Agreed.  So much traffic on that road. Road diet would be a bad idea IMO.

It's already a traffic cluster nightmare. Can't imagine them taking a lane away. I was over that way today and one lane was blocked near Church Street because of a stall or something and traffic was backing up  on both sides of Church street and into the intersection at Church and Augusta. Ambulances were trying to get thru on way to hospital and having to go up wrong side of road.  With the hospital being over that way they better proceed with caution.  Last thing  they need to do is choke off the hospital access  points at Grove, Church and Faris. Can't even imagine how bad traffic would stack at the lights with only one lane in each direction.

Edited by vistatiger
  • Like 1

Augusta Road has always been dangerous. I used to drive it when I worked in Greenville, and always thought, "I wish they'd move these power poles back away from the street"..you just feel an accident is ready to happen. Years later, my teenage daughter drives Augusta to school and back.  Scares me a bit.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Road diet moving forward with construction on phase 1 starting February 2022 and phase 2 starting Summer 2023: 

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/2021/11/19/augusta-road-redesign-underway-greenville-sc-after-analysis/8630705002/

The road diet reduces lanes to allow for a center shared turning lane or median.  The project's second phase is anticipated to include installation of multi-use paths, improvements to access, landscaping, utility undergrounding, repaving and traffic-signal upgrades.

Great news. I wish the county would do something for White Horse Rd. 

It's probably been discussed before, but when do road diets not make sense? Many roads are overcrowded as is, and reducing lanes is probably going to result in longer backups, longer light wait times, and more frustration for drivers. It also likely inspires many drivers to go off main roads; which, in this case, would result in increased traffic for the surrounding neighborhoods; including those frustrated drivers who may not be looking out for families. Not to mention that Greenville is quickly adding new residents. Post-diet roads may look nice but are they practical and useful?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2021 at 2:10 PM, distortedlogic said:

It's probably been discussed before, but when do road diets not make sense? Many roads are overcrowded as is, and reducing lanes is probably going to result in longer backups, longer light wait times, and more frustration for drivers. It also likely inspires many drivers to go off main roads; which, in this case, would result in increased traffic for the surrounding neighborhoods; including those frustrated drivers who may not be looking out for families. Not to mention that Greenville is quickly adding new residents. Post-diet roads may look nice but are they practical and useful?

Sounds like a total nightmare. Single lane roundabouts on Augusta? Whoever came up with that idea should be fired on the spot. 

Didn't the "road diet" on East North Street work?  Really, I don't know. I don't normally drive that road often anymore.

I think the turn lanes will be HUGE benefit. It gets the left-turn'ers out of the way allowing traffic to keep moving at a steady pace without sudden stops and cars darting between lanes. The traffic study does state traffic time will increase very slightly. And I'm totally okay with that if it means a significantly less stressful driving experience on Augusta, and less accidents between vehicles (and vehicles vs. bikers, and pedestrians). 

I remember when everyone on Next Door fretted and laughed at the traffic calming bump-outs and restriping on McDaniel Ave. Now, it's crickets on the subject, or the same whiners post pictures of the pretty flowers in the "pot bunkers" they initially hated and called them.

So, I'm going to assume the traffic experts also know what they're doing on Augusta Road. I expect it to be an improvement. 

• Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, ingvegas said:

Didn't the "road diet" on East North Street work?  Really, I don't know. I don't normally drive that road often anymore.

I think the turn lanes will be HUGE benefit. It gets the left-turn'ers out of the way allowing traffic to keep moving at a steady pace without sudden stops and cars darting between lanes. The traffic study does state traffic time will increase very slightly. And I'm totally okay with that if it means a significantly less stressful driving experience on Augusta, and less accidents between vehicles (and vehicles vs. bikers, and pedestrians). 

I remember when everyone on Next Door fretted and laughed at the traffic calming bump-outs and restriping on McDaniel Ave. Now, it's crickets on the subject, or the same whiners post pictures of the pretty flowers in the "pot bunkers" they initially hated and called them.

So, I'm going to assume the traffic experts also know what they're doing on Augusta Road. I expect it to be an improvement. 

Yea I live off East North and it’s great honestly. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, johnpro318 said:

Yea I live off East North and it’s great honestly. 

Agree, but E. North has always pretty much been residential and there is much more traffic on Augusta. 

5 hours ago, ingvegas said:

Unless the turn lanes are very long the turn lanes will just back up traffic more, Peeps that are going straight will have to wait for the left turners to clear. The left turn lanes will surely backup into the straight lanes. Of course I could be wrong. 

Augusta has been down to one lane recently there near Grove Rd where the two new banks are under construction and it has been a backup nightmare. They put that commercial area of Augusta with all those lights on a road diet and I hope I never have to frequent those businesses around that area again.

Edited by vistatiger

7 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

Augusta has been down to one lane recently there near Grove Rd where the two new banks are under construction and it has been a backup nightmare. They put that commercial area of Augusta with all those lights on a road diet and I hope I never have to frequent those businesses around that area again.

I don't see how the construction example is relevant. You're talking about what sounds like a bottle neck condition, and zero turn lanes. There will be NO bottle necking on Augusta post road diet -- either you're in the lane of travel or you are not.

I think folks are having the exact same reaction they had to East North's road diet. They get so used to something operating and functioning in one manner that you cannot even fathom an alternative. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, apaladin said:

Agree, but E. North has always pretty much been residential and there is much more traffic on Augusta. 

Unless the turn lanes are very long the turn lanes will just back up traffic more, Peeps that are going straight will have to wait for the left turners to clear. The left turn lanes will surely backup into the straight lanes. Of course I could be wrong. 

The capacity analysis points to some sections deemed not functional with others determined to be functional with estimated increased traffic times.  

image.thumb.png.338222c1087f931fa60c686a221004f7.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...