Augusta Road

vicupstate

This all sounds really good to me. That section of Augusta Road needs a really good grocery store, and that location is perfect for one. I think Harris Teeter re-enterting the Greenville market will be a good thing. Their new store concept sounds great, and I think it will add to the already great grocery options in Greenville.

While I would love to save the post office, I think history has shown us that a store hidden behind it does not perform as well as one with better visibility and more parking. Starbucks makes sense too, and will do well. Not sure why anyone would have a problem with that.

I guess problem some would have with Starbucks is that they have a store about 2 and half block up the street. But thats my opinion.

The Harris Teeter thing is the most disturbing in how its going to having a big parking lot fronting the store.It will change the feel of the area.

Edited by MAJIKMAN

Maybe slightly offtopic, but I'm starting to wonder if HT is going to buy out a portion of the BiLo stores in the Greenville area. When I was last down there, the stores seemed to have really gone downhill, and as if there was no capex being spent on them any longer.

That is probably a function of Bi-Lo being bought by Winn Dixie. 

Is it now over for the BI-LO next to the Kmart near the hospital?  That Kmart will surely close when the chain does, if not sooner, and I cannot imagine the Chanticleer/Augusta Road crowd shopping at a BI-LO (in general, but particularly one in a downscale shopping center) instead of a nice Harris Teeter.

Edited by mallguy

Is it now over for the BI-LO next to the Kmart near the hospital?  That Kmart will surely close when the chain does, if not sooner, and I cannot imagine the Chanticleer/Augusta Road crowd shopping at a BI-LO (in general, but particularly one in a downscale shopping center) instead of a nice Harris Teeter.

Proximity and pricing will keep some business at that Bi-Lo.  That side  of town isn't all affluent.  My guess is the folks that live on Augusta that will shop at HT, don't shop at that Bi-Lo now.

Agree, hope this project gets the thumbs down. A Harris-Teeter adds nothing. H-T has been in the Greenville before and failed. With the onslaught of Walmart Markets the grocery market will be saturated soon. WM Markets are planned all over the area. 5 new ones open in January.

Edited by apaladin

I like Harris Teeter and am glad to see Lewis Plaza get an upgrade, but:

1. The HT architecture should be keeping with the Lewis Plaza style.  "Mid-century Modern" or whatever the HT architecture is will be horribly dated in the future.

2. I love my downtown Publix and will keep shopping there; Cleveland Street into downtown is much easier to navigate than Augusta Road, with traffic and narrow lanes.

3. Why do we need a 3rd Starbucks in between the one on S. Main and the one already on Augusta?

Agree, hope this project gets the thumbs down. A Harris-Teeter adds nothing. H-T has been in the Greenville before and failed. With the onslaught of Walmart Markets the grocery market will be saturated soon. WM Markets are planned all over the area. 5 new ones open in January.

I disagree completely.  Harris Teeter was great when it was here.  I really enjoyed shopping there.  WM Marketplace? its for a different demographic than HT, especially since this one seems geared more towards the Whole Foods crowd.  Speaking of which, this HT is an outstanding anchor store which will bring in more and better shops and breathe some life into the current/remaining crop of dying on the vine stores there.  I am more concerned about impacts to traffic than anything else.

• Like 1

I am more concerned about impacts to traffic than anything else.

Agreed. Augusta Road is bad now. Wait until they add a 50,000 ft. HT to the mix. Augusta Road needs to be widened with turn lanes added. 

Overall, traffic inside the box of Pleastanburg / 291 (North & East); Augusta (south); and, Academy (west) is becoming very congested, in my opinion.

Neighborhoods inside this box are now high-speed short cuts for many motorists. 

The last thing Augusta Road needs is a widening project. If anything, the road should be shrunk in size with bike lanes, landscaping, and a median added.

And overall, I see HT as a good thing for this area even with the surface parking lot in front and post office being demolished.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

The last thing Augusta Road needs is a widening project. If anything, the road should be shrunk in size with bike lanes, landscaping, and a median added.

And overall, I see HT as a good thing for this area even with the surface parking lot in front and post office being demolished.

I tend to aagree and dedicated turn lanes only at signaled intersections would likely keep traffic moving quicker than it does today. I think most of the heavy traffic should be directed down Pleasant burg and Laurens roads.

Church to East Augusta Place? I'm talking extensive turning lanes though. Left and sometimes right as well at intersections. Don't know if it's possible or feasible. There needs to be limited left turns at least so people aren't always slamming on their brakes.

that's not a bad idea. A lot of the issues backing up traffic are from cars turning accross traffic.  Creating a center median for turning cars could improve both the look and the congestion.  It might improve today's traffic, I am not sure how well it would scale if we doubled the number of cars though.

Doing something similar to E North St would make sense.  A center turn lane would make it much safer than cars currently stopping traffic in the left lane waiting to turn.  It would cut down on people having to weave back and forth between two lanes to get around cars stopped to turn, and slow down speeding. Unfortunately it's a DOT road and what makes sense isn't exactly their top priority.

Doing something similar to E North St would make sense.  A center turn lane would make it much safer than cars currently stopping traffic in the left lane waiting to turn.  It would cut down on people having to weave back and forth between two lanes to get around cars stopped to turn, and slow down speeding. Unfortunately it's a DOT road and what makes sense isn't exactly their top priority.

I would be all for this. E-North has certainly improved with the center turn lane. Didn't know about the DOT. That is unfortunate for local businesses along that stretch. 

Edited by FUgrad02

I hope local leaders will show strength and reject this proposal. WYFF failed to report the story accurately and now some citizens in the neighborhood are excited about a "2-story luxury grocery store." This is misleading information and fails to expose the reality that this developer will replace one of the most charming and recognizable shopping centers in the region with a bland, suburban-style big box store and large parking lot. The urban design standards will continue to erode along Augusta Street if this opportunity to restore and enhance a quality urban village center is wasted.

• 2 weeks later...

Work continues on Augusta Walk clearing and site work, the condos at the corner of Prentiss has the site cleared, the bank at the corner of Grove is finishing up, and the CVS site work continues.

Have they lowered the prices for Augusta Walk? I thought they were to be from the 800's. The sign on site now says 600's. I'm assuming this could stem from the inability to gate the development, unless my memory serves me wrong.

Have they lowered the prices for Augusta Walk? I thought they were to be from the 800's. The sign on site now says 600's. I'm assuming this could stem from the inability to gate the development, unless my memory serves me wrong.

Real Estate Marketing 101: Price one house at 699,000 and the next house is $75,000+ more.