Augusta Road

vicupstate

On 4/25/2020 at 2:26 PM, vistatiger said:

Too bad they didn't allow that Chickfila with a drive thru since drive thru is basically all you can do right now.  They may want to reconsider. 

It is too small of a site for what they really needed for a drive thru.

SCDOT has regulations that you can not back up a drive thru onto their roads...for good reason. Its not just a traffic problem, it is also a safety issue.

The site was just too small to accommodate a restaurant, parking, and enough space for a long drive thru. 

36 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

SCDOT has regulations that you can not back up a drive thru onto their roads...for good reason. Its not just a traffic problem, it is also a safety issue.

The site was just too small to accommodate a restaurant, parking, and enough space for a long drive thru. 

And with the drive through as the only option right now, it wouldn't help the situation.  I've seen the Church's Chicken just down the street have it's drive through line backed up with cars stopped out on Augusta a few times lately.

1 hour ago, ausrutherford said:

Yep I have seen that at Zaxby's, Cookout and a Sonic recently with lines backed into the street especially in the evening. Personally haven't seen law enforcement present at any of them. 

One thing for sure CFA knows how to do drive thru, They still have double drive thru only units with walkup windows in Greenwood and Spartanburg. They both are very busy and work quite well.

Edited by vistatiger

• 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, victory said:

Is it Augusta Road or Augusta Street? My great aunt and uncle, who lived blocks off of Augusta, used to say Augusta Rd, but it seems I've seen it on a street map as Augusta St.

Augusta Street north of Mauldin Road and Augusta Road south of Mauldin Road. Pretty much where the city meets the county is where the road name changes.

Edited by gman430

57 minutes ago, bikeoid said:

From vague memory, I believe they used to refer to the area around Lewis Plaza as the Augusta Road area, either from an old name or casual association, although it is named Augusta Street today.

True. I have called the area around Lewis Plaza and heard it called Augusta Rd by locals for decades.

• Like 1

Everything from Our Lady of the Rosary to Main St. was colloquially "Augusta Road" growing up in the 60's and 70's. I worked in Greenville for several years in the 80's and 90's, and I never heard anyone ever refer to it as "Augusta Street" (with one exception, noted below). I would have called the whole thing past Donaldson Augusta Road, too. However, I don't doubt that "Augusta Street" was probably the official name all along. IDK.

Just like nobody ever said "Pleasantburg Drive." It was 291 or occasionally 291-Bypass, because it was originally constructed as a bypass.

Interestingly, the Baptist church at the corner of Augusta & Jones is "Augusta Road Baptist." OTOH, the Paramount Park Baptist Church building at Augusta & Haynie originally belonged to "Augusta Street Presbtyerian Church" up till at least the late 1980's. But I think we still called it "Augusta Road Presbyterian,"  whenever we referred to it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Chase and Fifth Third Bank are now under construction. Sunoco gas station is being demolished also. 

The look of this part of town is going to be much different soon.  Not that what was there was worthy of preserving, but it is a little sad to think Augusta Rd is being homogenized into fairly typical suburban shopping plazas.  At least they have been well done to this point.

• 3 months later...