North Gulch - Northwestern Mutual - 30+ Acres Mixed Use

smeagolsfree

This is one of the two large announcements we were waiting for a month or so ago.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/print-edition/2011/12/09/boyle-exploring-redevelopment-options.html

The article basically says that Northwestern Mutual bought Croslands share and tapped Boyle Investment Co. to develop. They will start from scratch and may have something ready to show us in 3 to 9 months.

"Northwestern Mutual has $180 billion in assets and $23 billion in revenue, according to the company’s website. It ranked 112 on the 2011 Fortune 500."

The article says that it will be a mixed use project and could possibly be a large office campus. 30 acres in the downtown area is hard to come by.

The Ballpark going into this area could change the dynamics of the development and bring in a lot more retail. That is the wildcard tha article says and they would welcome an opportunity to work the ballpark into the plans.

Now we will have two large players in the Cools Springs area developing projects in the downtown area. This is nothing but good.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Anything new on this? A quick google earth view makes it look like there is alot of activity at this site. Land clearing and the like. That is, if I'm looking at the correct spot (SE corner of Charlotte & 11th beside the RR tracks).

Just wondering if there is, in fact, some development going on there.

I think the NW Mutual site will start construction next year. At least I hope it does. They are currently taking down a number of buildings in the area that they own. WW said he spoke to them and I think he did a story that they do want to start next year. I am still unsure as to where the boundary is for the property they have but is about 32 acres. If anyone knows exactly which properties they own or have the boundaries of the development, please post them.

• 3 weeks later...

So I was in Atlanta, the king-city-of-suburbia, and went to eat Saturday Night at a little pizza place we randomly pulled into. We wanted Thai, missed the turn, but came in a back way and this is what we came across. Town Brookhaven.

As my wife and I were sitting there on the patio with five more feet of sidwalk behind us, I thought... this would be a perfect North Gulch. It was anchored by Publix, a Costco (Urban Target like the one at Atlantic Station would be better), LA Fitness (again, something different preferred), and 6 stories of condo/rental living on top of retail and restaurants.

I just wanted to share that, thanks to eating at Tre' Za, I have what my vision of the North Gulch should be. Just with the minor changes in anchor tenants.

Looks OK except all the surface parking.

So I was in Atlanta, the king-city-of-suburbia, and went to eat Saturday Night at a little pizza place we randomly pulled into. We wanted Thai, missed the turn, but came in a back way and this is what we came across. Town Brookhaven.

As my wife and I were sitting there on the patio with five more feet of sidwalk behind us, I thought... this would be a perfect North Gulch. It was anchored by Publix, a Costco (Urban Target like the one at Atlantic Station would be better), LA Fitness (again, something different preferred), and 6 stories of condo/rental living on top of retail and restaurants.

I just wanted to share that, thanks to eating at Tre' Za, I have what my vision of the North Gulch should be. Just with the minor changes in anchor tenants.

There is a place like you described in San Jose called Santana Row. Think Hill center, but much more pedestrian active, with 3-4 floors of condos on top. Similar feel, but about 6-8 square blocks. The street is divided by a WIDE center walkway with kiosk business, fountains, trees, artwork, human scale chess boards, etc.

The only downside is the upscale-ness of it. Gucci, Burberry, an a bunch of other places I can't afford. Ferrari's are more common than Honda's.

The only downside is the upscale-ness of it. Gucci, Burberry, an a bunch of other places I can't afford. Ferrari's are more common than Honda's.

Yeah as we were leaving, a Fisker Karma pulled out behind me. Not surprising being 3 seconds outside of Buckhead. I saw more cars worth $100k+ in 3 days than I have ever seen in Nashville.

• 1 month later...

Those are the warehouses across from the tobacco plant, right? That's a pretty big chunk of property.

The developers have been so tight-lipped about this since plans were announced that I was beginning to get a little worried. Anyone have any idea if they will even announce anything about future development plans before next year?

I have been seeing a lot of demolition permits issued for this area. We will have to wait and see what is going to happen. It will be a multi year build out reguardless.

Trying to keep a close eye on this one but nothing has popped up on the radar.

I am sure there are a few that know what will happen but they are being silent and lining up tenants.

All but two of the properties along Charlotte in this area have been demolished. Also public works has been replacing sidewalks and repaving here. Gay St and Jo Johnston were renovated despite abutting mostly vacant lots. I wonder if the developer is working .very. closely with the city... Can't wait to see how this turns out.

...Also public works has been replacing sidewalks and repaving here. Gay St and Jo Johnston were renovated despite abutting mostly vacant lots. I wonder if the developer is working .very. closely with the city... Can't wait to see how this turns out.

I had wondered what all the repaving and new sidewalks were all about, too... I had kind of thought they would wait until after whatever was going in before doing either of those..

Still rooting for the rumored urban Target and/or movie theater in that area!

David

The deal with the remaining properties on Charlotte is this: They either have to buy the lease out and pay for relocation and renovation to the new site or wait for the lease to expire. The paint shops lease is not due to expire until next August. I am not real sure about the Korean market. The Nashville Glass site has a lease till 2014 I think and is right behind the paint store and on the next block north.

There area couple of more buildings in the footprint that have not been demolished including the old church and I believe they own and another small office building just north of the church/Als showplace. Also the building along the RR tracks that is next to the demolished bus station is their property as well and not sure about their lease.

The deal with the remaining properties on Charlotte is this: They either have to buy the lease out and pay for relocation and renovation to the new site or wait for the lease to expire. The paint shops lease is not due to expire until next August. I am not real sure about the Korean market. The Nashville Glass site has a lease till 2014 I think and is right behind the paint store and on the next block north.

There area couple of more buildings in the footprint that have not been demolished including the old church and I believe they own and another small office building just north of the church/Als showplace. Also the building along the RR tracks that is next to the demolished bus station is their property as well and not sure about their lease.

I always thought the Korean market was a cool little bit of funkiness in that part of town. I'd like to see it stay! A corridor consisting entirely of new shiny things can be a little boring.

That area is where Jimmi Hendrix got his start playing some of clubs that were there. And I remember a local, late night, weekend TV show that featured R&B artists who came to town to perform at these clubs before they were national stars including Stevie Wonder and James Brown.

It would be nice to see some club or musical showcase built that pays homage to the particular, rich musical heritage that performed and developed in this part of town.

That area is where Jimmi Hendrix got his start playing some of clubs that were there. And I remember a local, late night, weekend TV show that featured R&B artists who came to town to perform at these clubs before they were national stars including Stevie Wonder and James Brown.

It would be nice to see some club or musical showcase built that pays homage to the particular, rich musical heritage that performed and developed in this part of town.

The TV show was most likely Night Train to Nashville or something like that. it was an R&B program and a predecessor to Soul Train, which was based in Chicago. The County Music Hall of Fame had an exhibit on Night Train to Nashville a few years back and issued retrospective CDs.

Weren't the music clubs that you reference actually on Jefferson street?

Archived