North Gulch - Northwestern Mutual - 30+ Acres Mixed Use

smeagolsfree

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still not betting on an IKEA. From what I have heard, one of their core criteria is a minimum population of 2 million people within 40-60 miles of the store.

Not saying it can't happen, but I would guess not likely.

By 2015 we'd have to be pretty close to that wouldn't we?

By 2015 we'd have to be pretty close to that wouldn't we?

The CMA (including Columbia) is around 1.7 million right now.

But within 40-60 miles, you also have Clarksville (about 50 miles, 135k city/175k county)...that brings you up to just under 1.9 million.

And if IKEA isn't absolutely stuck on a strict population radius, Bowling Green, Hopkinsville, and Cookeville are just over an hour away. I'm sure they would draw at least some from that area.

^ But there are almost 300k in the Clarksville-Ft. Campbell metro. I would also expect that IKEA is keenly aware of our recent retail successes and our ability to be a regional draw in the Mid-South. We are getting weekend shoppers from Memphis, Louisville, Huntsville and Knoxville now because we now offer stores they cannot get in their market. I know for a fact that Nordstrom and West Elm have been big draws. Nordstrom has been a big success. West Elm at the Hill Center Green Hills has been such a success that Williams-Sonoma,Inc. wants to open a stand-alone Pottery Barn concept that's similar in the Hill Center.

I doubt the 2 million within 60 miles is an absolute black line rule especially when their desired zone would be over that precipice around the time of opening or soon after. It certainly isn't their only factor to consider. They are watching our upward trajectory as well.

I'm not saying that the 2 million mark is an absolute black line. I've just always wondered what their criteria is. It's somewhat speculative, but this is a pretty rough estimate of their criteria;

-minimum 2 million population within 40-60 miles in the same media market.

-minimum per capita income (what that income line may be is unknown)

-brand awareness (?)

-preferably proven markets (as in, if 1 ikea store works in the area, they like to open another in the same market)

Link to a decent outline of these:

http://www.ikeafans.com/home/ikea-coming-to-my-town-new-stores/

An IKEA? Ew! Their merchandise is really really cheap looking.

I would prefer Bergdorfs, Armani Casa, The Shop (http://www.theshopnyny.com/), the Horchow collection (http://www.horchow.c..._requestid=5701 ), and Clive Christian (http://www.clive.com/en/).

Ummm... The Shop and Horchow collection look just like West Elm/Pottery Barn. I'm sure there is a vast difference in quality, but meh. None of those do it for me. And plus, the styles are vastly different in a lot of cases than what IKEA offers.

An IKEA? Ew! Their merchandise is really really cheap looking.

I would prefer Bergdorfs, Armani Casa, The Shop (http://www.theshopnyny.com/), the Horchow collection (http://www.horchow.c..._requestid=5701 ), and Clive Christian (http://www.clive.com/en/).

Yes, we all get it, you're very very fancy. Much fancier than your average lowly Nashvillian. Is that what you're hoping people tell you everytime you name drop high end boutiques that Nashville doesn't have yet? Congratulations on your success, but most people can't afford to buy their furniture from Armani, and you shouldn't ridicule them for that.

Yes, we all get it, you're very very fancy. Much fancier than your average lowly Nashvillian. Is that what you're hoping people tell you everytime you name drop high end boutiques that Nashville doesn't have yet? Congratulations on your success, but most people can't afford to buy their furniture from Armani, and you shouldn't ridicule them for that.

LOL... good point. The whole appeal of IKEA is that it's very useful furniture that also looks good and is quite affordable. Label-chasers aren't moved by practicality in their purchases.

Well, I for one have nearly my entire home decorated in IKEA furniture. Much of it is second hand. The only person I have to impress is my wife.

There are definately a few tiers of quality at IKEA. There is the dorm room grade stuff (disposable), a mid grade level and then there is their upper end stuff made from mostly real wood.

I for one really like IKEA. If you want something functional, that will last a year or two, you can get it on the cheap, and decent looking too. If you want something to last 10 years, with more quality materials, they have that as well.

No, it's certainly not heirloom type furniture, but lets be honest, hardly anything is anymore. If I want top quality construction, I will do it my darn self.

For the price you will pay for one piece of furniture at a high end ,name brand place, I could purchase the best woods in the world, a table saw, a router, planer, skil saw, jigsaw, table grinder.....etc.

Much of my apartment is also furnished with Ikea items as well, will. Quality tends to be better than average for the price point, design is simple and straightforward. With the various stains and veneers they offer, it's easy to make your items match, even if they're from different lines.

And I have to say, a lot of their non-furniture items are top notch. I have two down comforters from them, one for summer and a heavier one for winter. They're both great, and they were very inexpensive. In fact, as I discovered when I had one dry cleaned last year, it would have been cheaper to just go buy a new one.

Yes, but their meatballs are quite a bit better than any of the retail outfits you named. Anyone that's actually been to an IKEA knows what I'm talking about...

Oh my god...I pick up a couple bags of them in their frozen food section everytime I go! And what a bargain too!!

I'm slightly embarrassed by the amount of food I have eaten at Ikea...

Hahaha...so am I. But not really. If only people knew how shockingly good it was...and you can't beat the price. Granted, I've only ever gotten the Swedish Meatball Platter with Mash w/gravy and Lingonberry Sauce, but still...I'm sure everything there is of equal quality.

Been trying to copy a image of the NW site. Having some issues there, but the site is a bit larger than I first thought. It will go from the RR tracks on the north side and border the interstate on the west, and then continue all the way east to the second set of tracks and will include the V shaped area in between the tracks and then all along Charlotte. The only parcel they do not have is the AT&T parcel right in the middle. I may be wrong on a couple of small points but either way this is a huge site and will actually almost connect to the Marathon Village site. The Interstate will be the only thing that separates them.

I do not expect AT&T to move as William and I were driving there yesterday and he noted that AT&T just moved to that location from the other end of the Gulch when Terrazzo was built.

A lot of the support business's that are having to relocate need to do so out side of the core from this point on as land values are increasing and they will continue to be moved farther out. Hopefully Granger and the paint stores, Nashville Glass and others will find areas well outside the core. We will also have the same issue in SoBro as it expands.

Archived