Transportation Museum of the World

GvilleSC

I thought we had a topic for this, but I guess not?

Anyway, the Journal this past week had a small rendering of the new museum. It appears that the front of the building will be transformed into an old depot (Greenville's old one perhaps?). It won't cover the entire warehouse's front, but it should be an upgrade from the current look.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought we had a topic for this, but I guess not?

Anyway, the Journal this past week had a small rendering of the new museum. It appears that the front of the building will be transformed into an old depot (Greenville's old one perhaps?). It won't cover the entire warehouse's front, but it should be an upgrade from the current look.

I've been out of town for days, but a friend scanned and e-mailed the image of the facade redo. Must say, it looks quite nice. I wasn't much of a proponent of this development....mainly because I hadn't taken the time to understand it.....seems in reading up on it, it is going to be a much higher quality operation than I thought.

Dumb question here, as you probably expect from me.

Why put a transportation museum in GREENVILLE?

I mean - wahoo, this is great news, but is there some part of GVille history that made the people planning this say "Oh, it's GOT to be Greenville!"

Did someone from our fair town invent something vital to transportation, or did one of our companies create important parts, or did Thog the Caveman get his idea for the wheel while visiting the area?

Just curious.

Yeah, I'll take the kiddies and have a great time, but somewhere in the back of my tiny birdbrain, that one question will keep gnawing.

• 3 months later...

I'm assuming this museum will not officially open until the pre construction funding goal is met. To date, only about a fifth of the goal has been reached. Kind of shocking, I never see any ads or fundraising information for this project. Is this project really still happening?

Archived