KVB extension and new Round-about work has started

smeagolsfree

Work has now started onthe KVB extension between 4th and 8th. A lot of the buildings on 8th Ave. have alreday come down and I expect the rest to be down by Friday at the latest. This is going to take about a year or so to complete. So, that means since it is a Metro project, look for it to be finished in a year and a half to two.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The brick building on the corner can easily be replicated upon further review. The same holds true for the Berger Building on the Federal Courthouse Lot. Now, don't get me started on actual significant buildings like the Sudakem Building, The Vauxhall Building, The Tulane Hotel etc...

The 1890's-1940's two story brick buildings are easily replicated as evidenced by some many low rise apartment and retail buildings being constructed in 12 South, East Nashville, etc...

• 2 weeks later...

So I actually sent an email to the department working on the roundabout / extension (I'm a nerd), asking about the plans for the roundabout itself. I was told that currently the plan is to just have a landscape layout, but "they are in talks with metro art department".

William Williams- could you possibly write an article discussing the positive effects of roundabouts / urban art? I happen to love the music row roundabout, especially the architecture, and wish it was downtown. I think this roundabout is extremely important for the south side of the convention center and could have an extremely positive impact if done right.

I would really like to see something like roundabout at music row, the roundabout in Indianapolis, or Columbus Circle in New York.

• 2 months later...

Just received this email.

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=c4da815c98bddcb137c97ab72&id=6afa2da5fe&e=5a4e0bbc0c

I really hope the right design and artwork is going to be used. I would love to have something similar to the roundabout in Indianapolis, but I am not sure what we can do with $750k. Surely something beautiful. I do not want another roller coaster east bank disaster.

Just received this email.

http://us2.campaign-...fe&e=5a4e0bbc0c

I really hope the right design and artwork is going to be used. I would love to have something similar to the roundabout in Indianapolis, but I am not sure what we can do with $750k. Surely something beautiful. I do not want another roller coaster east bank disaster.

If it were bigger and more easily accessible for pedestrians, I'd say small fountain, some bricked paved area, a few landscaped trees big enough to provide shade. However, with the way this is designed to control traffic flow, it'd not be good to interrupt it with traffic signals and crosswalks. (Yes, I know that is heresy to say, but sometimes you have to let traffic be).

The more I see this revitalization of KVB, the more I'm excited about it. I think this will do a LOT to bring in businesses to the area that will increase foot traffic. All it needs is a hotel, some shops, a few sidewalk cafes with plazas where you can sit on a summer day and sip a beer or wine and watch the world go by.

Yes, I don't think a fountain will work due to size and budget. Something similar in Indianapolis would work I believe, and be very aesthetic.

In one sense I agree that an Indianapolis-style monument would work here, but not for $750K. The cost to do that today would add a zero or two (or three) to that number! The Indianpolis roundabout goes around the Soldier's and Sailor's Monument, which was constructed over 100 years ago of Indiana limestone. Not only are materials like that pretty high cost today, but the craftsmanship that goes into something like that is highly skilled. The IBEW puts up the Christmas Light display on the monument every year in something that Nashville can't seem to grasp: de-politicized holiday decorations erected by union labor.

That roundabout has been central to Indy's identity for so long that it is the reason that Indianapolis is called the Circle City. I hate to say it, but a monument like that would be kind of wasted at this intersection, standing as it does at the back end of the convention center and all. Now if that part of the convention center were going to be activated with retail, then we could potentially start to get something started like Indy's roundabout, but it would take a lot. But I'm skeptical that anybody will be bringing their grandchildren out on a special trip every year to see the intersection of 8th and LaFayette.

I'm curious to see what designs are submitted to Metro Arts Commission, but please, please, no guitars! And I'm actually leery of a fountain at this location: what if it becomes nothing more than a public shower for the homeless? But a good monument or vertical installation would be great, particularly sitting on a bit of a rise as the new traffic circle area does. Something with height could create a good visual beacon for this otherwise neglected part of downtown.

I think that with the proper construction and standoffs (shrubbery around it, no crosswalks), a nice fountain would do wonders here. See Logan Circle in Philadelphia, amazingly beautiful fountain that ties together a large boulevard. With the shrubbery or other boundary, as well as clearly marking it as no swimming or bathing and actually enforcing the rules, that should keep the bums out of it.

And yes, no guitars or musical instruments!

You mean no crosswalks into the center, or no crosswalks at all?

I think that with the proper construction and standoffs (shrubbery around it, no crosswalks), a nice fountain would do wonders here. See Logan Circle in Philadelphia, amazingly beautiful fountain that ties together a large boulevard. With the shrubbery or other boundary, as well as clearly marking it as no swimming or bathing and actually enforcing the rules, that should keep the bums out of it.

And yes, no guitars or musical instruments!

I acutally love the roundabout at Musica.

I also think that Musica is great...it's bold and unique...I only wish that they had been able to include the water element that was a part of the original concept for the roundabout. That said, I do think the signage on the circle is less than "tastefully" done and all the overhead utility lines and the corresponding poles are hideous!!!

I like that Musica is embraced by the community with holiday/event decor covering it every so often.. an unplanned benefit of the monument.

By the way.. does anyone know how much they paid to construct the naked people?

• 4 months later...

Here's some updated pictures on the progress of the roundabout and KVB. I would really like to see this street become Nashville's version of a mini Champs-Elysees in Paris. Either that or Demonbreun into the Music Row roundabout, but I think the likelyhood of development happening on the otherside of KVB is greater if the street activity on the backend of the convention center is there.

Facing Lafayette

DSC00890.jpg

Facing KVB

DSC00887.jpg

KVB by Omni

DSC00907.jpg

DSC00911.jpg

Great shots! I was actually about to ask if anyone had any updated pictures.

I must say, I'm a little dissappointed in the way this was laid out though. It appears as though the curve in the KVB hasn't been straightened, which kind of kills it for me aesthetically speaking, anyway. Grand boulevards should have nice straight lines that draw the eye into the distance. When it has to curve to approach the focal point, the roundabout, it destroys the symmetry. I suppose it was too much hoping for a mini-Ben Franklin Blvd. (Philadelphia):

IMG_0395.JPG

EDIT: Also, please please PLEASE tell me they are going to bury ALL utility lines in this area...

^I hope they bury them, but then again they weren't buried in the Gulch when Icon and the Terrazzo were finished so who knows. Also, you need to quit posting badass photos of Philly like that...you're making me jealous and pissed off for not having been up there in over two years. lol

^I hope they bury them, but then again they weren't buried in the Gulch when Icon and the Terrazzo were finished so who knows. Also, you need to quit posting badass photos of Philly like that...you're making me jealous and pissed off for not having been up there in over two years. lol

I'm quite the fan of these two...

https://picasaweb.go...437789465298146

https://picasaweb.go...903886299688018

:D

Archived