KVB extension and new Round-about work has started

smeagolsfree

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a little dissappointed in the way this was laid out though. It appears as though the curve in the KVB hasn't been straightened, which kind of kills it for me aesthetically speaking, anyway. Grand boulevards should have nice straight lines that draw the eye into the distance. When it has to curve to approach the focal point, the roundabout, it destroys the symmetry. I suppose it was too much hoping for a mini-Ben Franklin Blvd. (Philadelphia):

I was disappointed at first too, but I've decided that Champs Elysee type symmetry is just not for Nashville. We can still have some amazing views, just in a more informal, less classical style. The views from (and in places, within) Rolling Mill Hill are grand in a different way. There are several places downtown where you have a sense of a kind of bowl-like, amphitheater shape to the area which is think is great, layers of shapes at different angles, things partially hidden, all these buildings of different ages and styles, heights and shapes.

I was disappointed at first too, but I've decided that Champs Elysee type symmetry is just not for Nashville. We can still have some amazing views, just in a more informal, less classical style. The views from (and in places, within) Rolling Mill Hill are grand in a different way. There are several places downtown where you have a sense of a kind of bowl-like, amphitheater shape to the area which is think is great, layers of shapes at different angles, things partially hidden, all these buildings of different ages and styles, heights and shapes.

Well said, Neigeville.

WW

To each his own in aesthetic taste. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping for some very lush and spectacular landscaping. I'd go with a mix of Drake Elms and Willow Oaks for shade and flanking the roadway with crape myrtles, saucer magnolias, or other medium sized trees in the median with shrubs and tons of space for flowers to really set things off.

I'm hoping for some very lush and spectacular landscaping. I'd go with a mix of Drake Elms and Willow Oaks for shade and flanking the roadway with crape myrtles, saucer magnolias, or other medium sized trees in the median with shrubs and tons of space for flowers to really set things off.

Trees and flowers, yes...large patches of grass...NO please dear god for the love of god NO!!!!!!!!!! This is supposed to be the premier boulevard in the middle of a large urban center, not a new urbanist development in Coral Gables. I really, really hope they steer clear of the pointless green lawn thing...UNLESS they intend for the median to be accessed and used as green space, which I highly doubt.

Trees and flowers, yes...large patches of grass...NO please dear god for the love of god NO!!!!!!!!!! This is supposed to be the premier boulevard in the middle of a large urban center, not a new urbanist development in Coral Gables. I really, really hope they steer clear of the pointless green lawn thing...UNLESS they intend for the median to be accessed and used as green space, which I highly doubt.

Exactly, I want no grass, well the lawn kind, ornamental and such varieties are fine. The section of KVB from 4th to the bridge needs that grassed yanked up and planting beds installed.

I realized a misplaced comma didn't break up what trees I was wanting to see. Drake Elms and Willow Oaks for shade and flanking the sides. I want Saucer/Tulip Magnolias, crape myrtles, and/or other medium-sized trees in the median with shrubs and flowers with them.

I think that trees in the middle closer to the roundabout would block the view of the sculpture. As for the roundabout art sculpture is concerned, the rumor is that www.echelman.com is one of the finalist. Her work is perfect for the location and would make a huge statment for the southeast.Her Denver and Phoenix works are very eye catching, but for our roundabout I think her Porto, Portugal piece is right on.

I think that trees in the middle closer to the roundabout would block the view of the sculpture. As for the roundabout art sculpture is concerned, the rumor is that www.echelman.com is one of the finalist. Her work is perfect for the location and would make a huge statment for the southeast.Her Denver and Phoenix works are very eye catching, but for our roundabout I think her Porto, Portugal piece is right on.

I had not heard of that artist before. Her creations are very striking and I think they would look great. Are they permanent or temporary though? Being so delicate it seems like they would wear out over time...

I had not heard of that artist before. Her creations are very striking and I think they would look great. Are they permanent or temporary though? Being so delicate it seems like they would wear out over time...

Why not a large marble or bronze piece? Perhaps a column or something, a la Trafalgar Square. I find that much more impressive and enduring than another bit of fluffy modernist art that is lacking tangibility or a real presence.

Why not a large marble or bronze piece? Perhaps a column or something, a la Trafalgar Square. I find that much more impressive and enduring than another bit of fluffy modernist art that is lacking tangibility or a real presence.

Nashville, IMHO, isn't exactly a marble or bronze kind of city. I'd rather have something different (just not like that stupid busted roller coaster). If anyone has ever been to Art-Crawl or in the Arts Company on 5th Ave, Brother Mel would get my pick if we were to have a metal statue downtown. I just don't think he works on that scale, unfortunately...

Nashville, IMHO, isn't exactly a marble or bronze kind of city. I'd rather have something different (just not like that stupid busted roller coaster). If anyone has ever been to Art-Crawl or in the Arts Company on 5th Ave, Brother Mel would get my pick if we were to have a metal statue downtown. I just don't think he works on that scale, unfortunately...

I suppose Trafalgar Square was a bad example. I want something big, something impressive, and something that instills permanence. I'm against somthing whispy or something that just makes you look at it and go, "Huh?" It can be modern, even avante garde.

Haven't been by that area in along while, but can't TDOT plant those fast-growing white pines on their right-of-way to block out the view of said fiberglass statue?

I haven't seen TDOT use them in any new road projects around here. One reason is that they have relatively soft wood and snap/break fairly easily. Plus there isn't much room at all in their ROW to be used and they wouldn't plant a tree that can get 50-80ft tall that close to an interstate in the first place.

I was told by a TDOT official recently that TDOT is actually clearing trees away from the interestates in some areas because when drivers veer off the road, they hit trees resulting in serious injuries or fatalities. So basically, clearing a wider berth will help to lessen the TN roadway fatality numbers.

Wait..that thing is in Nashville?!?! How embarrassing. What is it? Who built it? Can't metro build a wall around it or something?

It's a statue of Nathan Bedford Forrest, a Confederate general and the KKK's first grand wizard. It's around the corner from Overton High School. Kids used to throw things at it when I was in school there. Such a welcoming sight to see passing along the highway, huh?

It's a statue of Nathan Bedford Forrest, a Confederate general and the KKK's first grand wizard. It's around the corner from Overton High School. Kids used to throw things at it when I was in school there. Such a welcoming sight to see passing along the highway, huh?

Goodness, I had forgotten about that thing. Its so tacky.

I don't really care who the statue is about to be honest...it's just horrendously tacky in its execution.

Archived