KVB extension and new Round-about work has started

smeagolsfree

Personally, I would like to see an oblisque. I think it would be a good classical representation, it would honor the "antenna" theme we have going on Broadway and would be a good chance to pay homage to persons of interest. Whether its city founders, tribute to country musics ghosts of the past, or even regionally inspired, I like monuments that honor someone or something. Not just something that looks neat and modern.

Now I understand that a classical oblisque might not blend well with the modern looking C.C., but perhaps they could make it work.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I would like to see an oblisque. I think it would be a good classical representation, it would honor the "antenna" theme we have going on Broadway and would be a good chance to pay homage to persons of interest. Whether its city founders, tribute to country musics ghosts of the past, or even regionally inspired, I like monuments that honor someone or something. Not just something that looks neat and modern.

Now I understand that a classical oblisque might not blend well with the modern looking C.C., but perhaps they could make it work.

If you want to honor the antenna theme, there could be a mini replica of the WSM tower made there (a la the "antenna" at the CMHOF). At 1/10 scale, it would be almost 90 ft tall. It would also leave room for a lot of nice landscaping at the base.

If you want to honor the antenna theme, there could be a mini replica of the WSM tower made there (a la the "antenna" at the CMHOF). At 1/10 scale, it would be almost 90 ft tall. It would also leave room for a lot of nice landscaping at the base.

So this antenna in the roudabout would be sort of like Nashville's Eiffel tower? (Before you laugh, don't forget that the Eiffel Tower was HATED by many French intellectuals at the time of its construction. I think that it was Honore de Balzac who hated seeing it so much that he would go up to the top everyday so that he could look out over Paris without having the darn thing block his view.)

Don't forget that in addition to the "antenna" architectural themes on the HOF and the Arena, there is an actual antenna at 2nd and Peabody. That's where Captain Ryman's home was located but demolished to make way for a radio station. In Nashville, it's already hard to tell the real antennae from the fake ones. If we are wanting to add more "architectural" antennae, I'd rather move the radio station into a larger building with an antenna (an actual one) attached for architectural value but that functions for commercial purposes (and that is paid for by private industry) and then redevelop the Ryman property block into some nice housing. The stone gates of Captain Ryman's property are still there but it is such a waste of that site to have it be just a grassy lawn with a utilitarian radio station.

I guess I'm saying that when somebody adds another "antenna" architectural element to a building in Nashville, can we at least have it be a working one? We're getting cluttered with spindles right now.

I can't help but keep picturing Dublin's Spire... Pretty striking when you turn a corner and see it. If you haven't seen it check it out: http://en.wikipedia....Spire_of_Dublin

Actually I'm going to look for pictures of the monument at night. That sounds pretty neat.

I think that if that monument were placed here it would be confused for a flagpole minus the flag. That's not a criticism of the piece, just a criticism of Nashvillians who seem to hate all of our public art ("roller coaster," "naked people," "pointing people," etc.). I think that many would be underwhelmed by a piece like this in that location, barring the light show of course. But I do think that this piece's metallic surface and very sleek design would work well with the adjacent convention center's exterior. That's something to consider versus, say, a traditional shape (Egyptian obelisk) with a stone exterior.

I think that whatever goes in, it needs to be unique. This goes back a bit to the discussion we were having about the (idiotic) guitar tower. Build something that is unique to Nashville, something that is referential to our history and our future, and do it tastefully. I love Musica, and it works where it is. I would personally like to see it either be metal or some other unconventional material like glass (think Chihuly).

Speaking of glass (sort of), I would love to see something like this except much larger. It probably wouldn't be terrible tall. However, I am extremely biased because I am obsessed with vortexes (PhD work).

Charybdis:

http://freshome.com/...ater-fountains/

That is fantastic. I would love to see a giant version of this in the 8th ave roundabout. The distraction would cause multiple accidents...and it does look like it would suck a homeless person to the bottom in a heartbeat... but it would be so cool, and there's no musical instruments.

Actually,l we should plan a roundabout someplace where you can see into the central circle from above; this thing is terrifying from the upper view. As long as the base isn't too deep it shouldn't be too great a threat to life and limb. It really is beautiful.

That is fantastic. I would love to see a giant version of this in the 8th ave roundabout. The distraction would cause multiple accidents...and it does look like it would suck a homeless person to the bottom in a heartbeat... but it would be so cool, and there's no musical instruments.

Actually,l we should plan a roundabout someplace where you can see into the central circle from above; this thing is terrifying from the upper view. As long as the base isn't too deep it shouldn't be too great a threat to life and limb. It really is beautiful.

:rofl:

Didn't think about accidents...to me flowing water, especially a vortex, is mesmerizing like fire. It just draws you in and you just have to stare and watch for a bit. Something primitive and powerful. Just to think people would get stuck in the roundabout like a vortex and keep going round, and round, and round,...

And yeah, some homeless or drunk person would probably try to jump in it... <_<

• 2 months later...

i didn't see anything in your post, timmay? i'd like to say i'm pretty shocked/proud how smoothly the roundabout has worked thus far. i've yet to encounter any snags when using it!

eric b

Hmm, sorry, I just copied the URL from their FB page. I'll download it, then re-upload here.

Referring to Smeagols post just above regarding finalists for the roundabout artwork, here are some samples of their works. These in no way give any indication of the range of styles each artist produces. They are just some I selected from their websites that might fit in with what the committee is looking for:

Ursula Von Rydingsvard

2006CzaraBsnow.jpg

Donald Lipski

doors.jpg

Roberto Behar and Rosario Marquardt

FormFollowsFear_2.jpg

Vito Acconci

36.jpg

The artwork may cost less than one tenth of one percent of the total cost the broader, completed project which includes the MCC, Hotel tax concessions, KVB Parkway, right-of way and property acquisition and utility relocation, etc., etc. Probably approaching a billion dollars all told. What's a few hundred thousand more?

that artwork makes me want to puke. The woman in the article saying "I'll guarantee some people will love it, some people will hate it" makes me want to puke. Why can't Nashville citizens vote for the artwork they want instead of a group of 7 who for some reason think the weirder the better.

Because we might wind up with a 50' guitar.

Archived