KVB extension and new Round-about work has started

smeagolsfree

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ha, good point. There has to be a happy medium. All of the proposals are garbage right now.

I love weirdness, but I have to say I'm not too crazy about the examples shown. If it were up to me I'd build a collossal human figure like the Soviet era stuff in St. Petersburg. commemorating the seige of Lenningrad, but I'm probably a minority of one there. Check out the scale of this statue, "The Motherland Calls", in Volgograd (formerly Stalingrad). Grovel before me, tiny human! Of course the money's not there for a real statue anyway.

I sure hope those people with the plastic letters spelling out sappy slogans don't win. Their stuff sucks.

My favorite public art in Nashville is that nude dude in the war memorial, but after the Musica kerfluffle we're not going to get that kind of public bootie display. And with this budget don't expect to see any bronze.

The_Motherland_Calls.jpg It actually sucks, the drapery is terrible especially around the bosom and trailing the legs, but the scale is just about right.

Might not be structurally sound.

Back when the old Fountain Square mall opened, they decided to have the celebrities leave their handprints in cement (country music personalities, that is). When it came time to Dolly Parton, she mused that she should leave a different sort of "print." She then decided to change her mind, remarking she didn't want little children falling in and hurting themselves (or little men). :whistling:

Referring to Smeagols post just above regarding finalists for the roundabout artwork, here are some samples of their works. These in no way give any indication of the range of styles each artist produces. They are just some I selected from their websites that might fit in with what the committee is looking for:

Roberto Behar and Rosario Marquardt

FormFollowsFear_2.jpg

(bwithers1 comment:  I looked this one up.  It is located in downtown Denver near a performing arts center and it won an award in 2007 for the best public art piece.  That kind of playfulness make sense in that context (near a performing arts center).  Plus, it kind of reminds me of the song, "All Together Now," from the Beatles' Yellow Submarine movie.  Very whimsical.  I'm not sure that I would want something quite that whimsical at the kVB roundabout, per se, but I do like the verticality.

These folks are based in Miami and a lot of their work is very colorful, which makes sense.)

Archived