Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

From the article. " There's no question that the metro Nashville area's population has increased consistently over the past five years. Reflecting migration and new births minus deaths, the 14-county region went from adding 62 people a day between 2010 and 2011 to 100 people daily last year"

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

14 County region!!! That seems a bit extreme. Are our "peer cities" also looking at that many surrounding counties? I would like to know what area they are counting for those cities as well. Stuff like this is when I sometimes start to question the validity of some stats. As in they really wanted to make Nashville into a top growing city so they just kept increasing the area. Sure it is nice saying Metro Nashville is 1.8 million, but including areas 35+miles away (Spring Hill, Murfreesboro, etc) is a bit misleading. Just quickly looking at Greater Austin Wiki and it looks like it only includes 5 counties. 

Growth cities

Annual average percentage growth in population, 2010-2015

Austin 3.2%

Raleigh 2.4%

Denver 2%

Nashville 1.8%

Charlotte 1.8%

Atlanta 1.5%

Indianapolis 1.0%

Louisville 0.7%

Memphis 0.3%

United States 0.8%

Metropolitan_and_Micropolitan_Statistica

Edited by bigeasy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

The MSAs, μSAs, and CSAs are defined by the OMB and Census, so they generally aren't manipulated in that manner. You are correct that they are pretty inconsistent in their application (cf. the areas covered by Nashville's, Knoxville's, and Memphis's MSAs). It's especially bad because metropolitan planning organizations have to use these boundaries. Still, I think that no matter which way you slice it (MSAs, counties, municipalities) Nashville is among the top growing in the country.

I used to work at the Nashville Chamber of Commerce and that broad MSA definition always bothered me, but I have gotten more used to it.  People from all of those counties commute to Nashville for work or are otherwise doing business that serves Nashville.

• Like 3

Right. The growth rate would be even greater without those 5-6 counties. I saw something recently that the combined population of Davidson and Rutherford today is greater than the population of the total of the 8 counties that made up the metropolitan area twenty-five years ago... something like an estimated 995k today vs. 985k in 1990. In the same article, it noted that Rutherford's population will be around 600k by 2035 (effectively doubling in 20 years). Pretty amazing stat when you consider that Williamson's growth isn't even a factor in that comparison.  And now that Wilson is taking off, that looks to be the next "Williamson" in the metro. 

• Like 3

It's also important to note that the federal government doesn't randomly assign counties to certain MSAs.  There is a criteria that has to be met for a county to be included.  Specifically, I believe, it has to do with certain percentages of people traveling to and from counties.  Counties in MSAs have to interact with each other in a very defined manor based in census data. These standards are set nationwide, so MSAs should be comparable nationally in terms of inter connectivity.  

Regardless, like others have said, our core MSA counties are the ones responsible for our growth (Davidson, Wilson, Summer, Williamson, and Rutherford). If we were to jettison Macon and Cannon, Trousdale, etc., we would see our growth rate increase.

Also, I've always thought it is odd that Clarksville isn't in our CSA.  I don't know what the criteria are for inclusion in the Nashville CSA, but it seems like Clarksville is part of Nashville in many ways (I may be a little biased because I work with several people that live in Clarksville and work in Nashville).  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

Yes...you really need to compare sq. miles instead of number of counties.

Yeah, counties are not a good indication of a metro's land area.  Atlanta and Georgia's small county size are a good example of that.  Since Nashville and Austin were brought up:  

Nashville's metro is 7,484 square miles.

Austin's metro is 4,286 square miles.

Austin's metro has consisted of only five counties since 1990 because it's sandwiched between the San Antonio and Killeen-Temple-Fort Hood metros and cannot expand north or south.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Right. The growth rate would be even greater without those 5-6 counties. I saw something recently that the combined population of Davidson and Rutherford today is greater than the population of the total of the 8 counties that made up the metropolitan area twenty-five years ago... something like an estimated 995k today vs. 985k in 1990. In the same article, it noted that Rutherford's population will be around 600k by 2035 (effectively doubling in 20 years). Pretty amazing stat when you consider that Williamson's growth isn't even a factor in that comparison.  And now that Wilson is taking off, that looks to be the next "Williamson" in the metro. 

I really doubt we'll see Rutherford hit 600k by 2035. That's a massive leap in growth...think of what Davidson County is currently experiencing in terms of numerical growth, add 50%, and sustain it over 2 decades. I'm not saying it's impossible...but it seems highly unlikely. What makes it more unlikely is how much infrastructure would be required to support that population. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, UTgrad09 said:

I really doubt we'll see Rutherford hit 600k by 2035. That's a massive leap in growth...think of what Davidson County is currently experiencing in terms of numerical growth, add 50%, and sustain it over 2 decades. I'm not saying it's impossible...but it seems highly unlikely. What makes it more unlikely is how much infrastructure would be required to support that population. 

I could see Rutherford hitting about 450k by then....or something close.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, titanhog said:

I wish they could have saved the shed.  Would have been cool to have something like an International Market underneath it.  Can you imagine how cool that would be in today's downtown?

They could have saved the shed.  They chose not to.  I remember them saying at the time that they would save the component pieces for later use.  I wonder if they really did, and if they did, if they could rebuild the grand, old lady?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, titanhog said:

Question about the "train shed" land...which is now a parking lot.  Who owns it...and is this potential development land?  Seems like a GREAT place for a huge project.

I believe DZL, the owners of Cummins Station, also own that piece. I've heard murmurings that they desire to develop it into something more substantial, but right now the parking it provides is predominant over any other use. As someone who parks in that lot every day, I can tell you firsthand that it is filled to overflowing almost every day and there has to be a viable replacement before they even begin to consider filling it with something else.

Speaking of parking, part of me wonders if the huge parking pedestal underneath Crescent Demonbreun was designed with input from DZL in order to handle some overflow... Cummins Station already uses some parking space in the Music City Center, so it only makes sense that they would endeavor to find a more permanent parking arrangement in preparation for one day developing the surface lots that surround (which they also own).

Edited by Vrtigo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Vrtigo said:

I believe DZL, the owners of Cummins Station, also own that piece. I've heard murmurings that they desire to develop it into something more substantial, but right now the parking it provides is predominant over any other use. As someone who parks in that lot every day, I can tell you firsthand that it is filled to overflowing almost every day and there has to be a viable replacement before they even begin to consider filling it with something else.

I was just thinking that if they could development it with a couple of towers with the main entrance coming from Demonbreun. level with the bridge, then everything below could be parking...giving you 2-3 levels of parking without even digging.

• Like 2