Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, dmillsphoto said:

Great videos through the Nations, Germantown, and Madison Mill (so aptly named 'decay')

http://nashvillepublicradio.org/post/seeing-something-majestic-nashville-s-decaying-architecture-drone#stream/0

Really cool videos. I had no idea the Nations was so industrialized. Kind of creepy with all the abandoned structures. It would be nice to see it redeveloped on day or PCS move to the area from its current location on the East Bank. I liked the cliffs in the area as well. Didn't know they existed. I could see some nice residential in that area. Seeing these videos reminded me of another thing I appreciate about Nashville, you can be in the city and in a matter of minutes be in an area like in the video. It's like a little slice of the country in the city. I am curious though, any ideas why that area of Nashville has never been developed? It seems almost forgotten. 

Mayor Barry announces $475 million spending budget.  Includes $120 million for various transportation initiatives, and $12 million for the Fairgrounds.  Story also has a link to the entire budget.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/politics/metro-government/article/20780309/mayor-releases-475-million-capital-projects-budget

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Mayor Barry announces $475 million spending budget.  Includes $120 million for various transportation initiatives, and $12 million for the Fairgrounds.  Story also has a link to the entire budget.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/politics/metro-government/article/20780309/mayor-releases-475-million-capital-projects-budget

The $20 million to MTA is apparently a grant match, so effectively $40 million.

On 5/16/2016 at 5:58 PM, markhollin said:

The Nations always has had the largest and most diverse industrial infrastructure in Nashville, even though much of it has been abandoned.  In recent decades ─ the last 40 years ─ some of it has been transformed into many smaller processing enterprises much farther out along Cockrill Bend Blvd., toward John C. Tune Airport, as well as along Centennial Blvd.  Other than the tank farms and river terminals, most of the large high-labor business plants, such as Bruce Flooring and Continental Grain have been vacated.  Perhaps the two largest remaining "brick-and-mortar" industries remaining in the Nations are "Carlex" (formerly the Ford Glass plant [automotive]) and "Innophos" (formerly Stauffer Chemicals [nee- "Agrico Fertilizer"]), the former owners having been among the largest, literally major smokestack industrials of the county, other than that of DuPont in the Old Hickory area.

With respect to sites, the Nations probably became so industrialized historically, because during the first 60 or so years of the last century, that sector of town, as well as parts of North Nashville, along the West Bank and between Heiman St. and Shrader Lane (partially re-aligned as newer Ed Temple Blvd.), had been the highest concentrations of industrial real estate, due to the attraction to and high dependence on the railroads, particularly with the former Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Ry (NC&StL) of the Nations and between 12th and Clifton Avenues, and with the Tennessee Central RR in North Nashville, all now CSX, except for the Heiman St. district.  True, there were a few exceptions, such as near-South Nashville to Chestnut (WeHo), and parts of East Nashville at East Bank and out to South Inglewood, but those were spotty at most.

Every "decent" sized older city at one time or another had concentrations of industrial rail activity, just as Norfolk Va had (and still does have pockets) around Lambert's Point and Sewell's Point, and Money Point and Gilmerton in the city of Chesapeake.  For Nashville, the Nations had the monopoly on the big working-class industries.  BTW, probably very few readers ever knew that Centennial Blvd. actually used to originate at 28th Ave. N. at the end of Jefferson St.  When TSU main-campus was granted a closure of the thoroughfare through its campus at what used to be 35th Ave (a major city bus route) sometime during the late 1980s, the former eastern portion was renamed "John Merritt Blvd." (broken into two portions: 28th to 35th Ave. and 35th to 37th, where the name now is changed to "John Driver Blvd. to 39th Ave, and where the original roadway has been re-aligned into a dog-leg and joins a new alignment as Walter Davis Blvd., most of which serves as a north bypass around the campus and which ends at 44th to join the remaining (western portion) historically named Centennial Blvd.  Jefferson Street and Centennial used to be a nearly straight-shot, uninterrupted thoroughfare from Spring St, East Nashville, to the Nations.

The discontinuity, to an extent, arguably may have established a rather adverse effect on activity along that roadway, since it now directs traffic flow to the circuitous alignment of the Walter David Blvd bypass and negotiating newer intersections at Heiman St., Ed Temple Blvd, and 39th Ave.  The redirection is understandable, from the standpoint of logistics, but the interactive effect on northerly east-west surface traffic connectivity appears to have resulted in more traffic seeking a preferred route to the Nations via 28th Ave. and either 28th, Clifton, and 40th or via 28th and Charlotte, rather than along Walter Davis to Centennial and 51st.  The compound railroad railroad crossing east of 49th Ave and Centennial is rather benign on traffic flow, given the fact that those switching movements are relatively short in length and in disruption.

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, dmillsphoto said:

Great videos through the Nations, Germantown, and Madison Mill (so aptly named 'decay')

http://nashvillepublicradio.org/post/seeing-something-majestic-nashville-s-decaying-architecture-drone#stream/0

Madison Mill looks like it could double as a set for The Walking Dead.

Awesome videos though.  He has quite a few more on his youtube channel too at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7WDdcDDntFeWFEfj05PNUA I suggest we all subscribe and give him a boost!

Edited by BnaBreaker

7 hours ago, dmillsphoto said:

I wish we hadn't lost that 60's apartment building, it was a classic.  This disposable mentality doesn't apply to buildings.

• Like 1

Here's another one of Brian Siskind's drone videos focusing on the countryside that surrounds Kingston Springs in Metro Nashville.  Though it may often get overlooked, and taken for granted, this video shows us once again that Middle Tennessee is home to some absolutely stunning natural beauty that most people on this earth would love to have on their doorstep.  This is part of the reason I despise suburban sprawl so much.  It's because THIS, what you see in this video, is what our invasive and destructive development practices are robbing us of.  All of those gargantuan parking lots, and tacky disposable strip malls, and four lane highways lined with neon signs and power lines and lumber yards and used car lots and pawn shops, are taking the place of unabashed paradise.  

Development is good, even in the suburbs.  It means our city and our region is growing.  But we have a responsibility to try and strike a balance between expansion and conservation by supporting development that is efficient and intelligently planned.  I'm by no means a 'tree-hugger,' but I think we need to start cherishing the drop-dead-gorgeous forests and hills and pastures and woodlands and grasslands that surround this great city instead of seeing them as just another place to carelessly plop another Home Depot or Olive Garden.  Most of us mourn when a historic structure is needlessly demolished, and rightly so.  But at least other buildings can be built in their place.  Once the scenes you see in this video are gone, they're gone for good.  Sorry for the rant. :)

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

Kingston Springs is not in Metro Nashville & Davidson County - its in Cheatham County.

I think BnaBreaker was referring to the Nashville Metro Statistical Area (or to be more specific, the Nashville-Davidson--Murfreesboro--Franklin, TN Metropolitan Statistical Area).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Here's another one of Brian Siskind's drone videos focusing on the countryside that surrounds Kingston Springs in Metro Nashville.  Though it may often get overlooked, and taken for granted, this video shows us once again that Middle Tennessee is home to some absolutely stunning natural beauty that most people on this earth would love to have on their doorstep.  This is part of the reason I despise suburban sprawl so much.  It's because THIS, what you see in this video, is what our invasive and destructive development practices are robbing us of.  All of those gargantuan parking lots, and tacky disposable strip malls, and four lane highways lined with neon signs and power lines and lumber yards and used car lots and pawn shops, are taking the place of unabashed paradise.  

Development is good, even in the suburbs.  It means our city and our region is growing.  But we have a responsibility to try and strike a balance between expansion and conservation by supporting development that is efficient and intelligently planned.  I'm by no means a 'tree-hugger,' but I think we need to start cherishing the drop-dead-gorgeous forests and hills and pastures and woodlands and grasslands that surround this great city instead of seeing them as just another place to carelessly plop another Home Depot or Olive Garden.  Most of us mourn when a historic structure is needlessly demolished, and rightly so.  But at least other buildings can be built in their place.  Once the scenes you see in this video are gone, they're gone for good.  Sorry for the rant. :)

Some of this may be on South Harpeth Road near me which I recommend you take a drive down some weekend. It is absolutely beautiful. Two billionaires, Tom Ingram and Cal Turner, Jr., plus one other fellow worth only $300,000,000, have bought up a lot of the land along SHR and are keeping it undeveloped. One (not sure which, maybe Turner) has paid for preservation easements from many local landowners that will prevent any development from happening in that area requiring it to keep its natural beauty for a long time. He then builds miles of beautiful fences around the preserved property which is mowed and maintained to park-like levels on a regular basis.

It is like having a mini National Park to drive through when I go to Franklin.

Oh, and the critters....my wife and I always spot a critter along the drive, like deer, turkeys, raccoon, owls, coyotes, eagles, and others. We are disappointed if we don't see one. This road is a hidden treasure.

Edit; to qualify my remarks, I served on the Kingston Springs Planning Commission for several years and this topic was discussed on several occasions. So I am repeating such conversations without having reviewed easements myself.

Edited by PHofKS
  • Like 4

Not sure if this was mentioned on here in another thread. But Nashville was awarded a United Soccer League franchise

http://wkrn.com/2016/05/19/usl-awards-soccer-franchise-to-nashville-owned-group/

http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/650233?referrer_id=2333971

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) — The United Soccer League has awarded a soccer franchise to a Nashville-based ownership group.

A public event will be hosted in mid-June to roll out the owners’ vision for the new team, which would operate in Nashville beginning in 2018.

The owners of the team include David Dill, president and chief operating officer of LifePoint Health; president of Jumpstart Foundry Marcus Whitney; and Christopher Redhage, co-founder of ProviderTrust.

“The rise of soccer support in Nashville coincides with our reputation as a vibrant, welcoming city,” Mayor Megan Barry said in a statement.

It is unclear at this time where the team will play.

The USL is a Division III soccer league below Major League Soccer and North American Soccer League. It currently consists of 29 teams in 19 American states and three Canadian provinces. Click here to find out more about the group. 

Nashville currently has an amateur soccer team, Nashville FC.

Edited by bigeasy
  • Like 3

I've been to Barcelona several times and love it---although traffic can be challenging at times.  This new proposal has potential to bring some better flow and even increase the walkability of an already very pedestrian-friendly central city.  I could see some of these concepts working in areas like Germantown, SoBro, North Capitol, The Gulch, and Midtown as they become denser.

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/may/17/superblocks-rescue-barcelona-spain-plan-give-streets-back-residents

3000.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

One of Nashville's largest real estate companies has had to watch as some top competitors flourished and feasted on the hottest part of Nashville's real estate boom — apartment activity.

That officially changed Tuesday, when Cushman & Wakefield announced that it has purchased Atlanta-based Multi Housing Advisors. Terms were not disclosed. As a result of the deal, Cushman & Wakefield's Nashville operation will add jobs and position itself to vie for its share of the record-setting apartment dealmaking that has happened in the past few years, as Nashville built a national profile and enjoyed surging population growth and best-in-class job gains.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/05/31/instant-fix-big-real-estate-business-seizes-on.html

• Like 2