Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

3 hours ago, shanky said:

The more I look at this, the more I agree that this wall should not have been painted.  There is some serious grittiness to it that cannot be replicated other than time and the elements.  If I were a tourist wondering around the city and came upon that wall, I would be in awe of my good fortune.  Its reminds me of a Pollock painting.  They should have left this one alone.

At least the wall is still there. How many old walls that could tell stories if they could talk have gotten knocked down in favor of parking lots and gas stations?

6 hours ago, markhollin said:

*clearing throat* 

: )

6 hours ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

Want a Ricola, boss ? :D

Heh! Watch that "Ricola" thing. [LoL] That's yet another nickname tacked on to me during this lifetime, along with "Ricardo", "Rictarded", "Rickety", and "Ricketts", to name a few.  Fact is, I still answer to 'em -- anything but my formal sounding christened name.  Of course, it really doesn't matter at this age. -=;)=-

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rookzie said:

Heh! Watch that "Ricola" thing. [LoL] That's yet another nickname tacked on to me during this lifetime, along with "Ricardo", "Rictarded", "Rickety", and "Ricketts", to name a few.  Fact is, I still answer to 'em -- anything but my formal sounding christened name.  Of course, it really doesn't matter at this age. -=;)=-

You want us to call you Melvin ?

• Like 1

Another new report on Nashville's strong office and industrial expansion.  From today's Nashville Post:

The office of Colliers International | Nashville has released its office and industrial market reports for the recently completed second quarter.

Some takeaways:

* Nashville boasts the highest level of office construction, as a percentage of inventory, in the South. At 16.9 percent, Nashville is followed by Austin (8.7 percent), Charlotte (7.9 percent), and Raleigh (6.7 percent).

* Nashville has over 3.4 million square feet of Class A office space under construction, and 65 percent is pre-leased.

* The Class A vacancy rate sank to a record sub-2 percent in Brentwood, Cool Springs and West End.

* Nashville’s office market posted 71,089 square feet of positive net absorption during the second quarter, the lowest occupancy gain in nearly three years. Despite the lower absorption, Nashville’s 10-year average absorption of 903,469 square feet continues to outpace the 10-year delivery average of 689,038 square feet.

* Nashville’s industrial vacancy rate dropped for the ninth consecutive quarter, down to 4.5 percent at mid-year 2016.

* The tightening market coupled with high demand continues to push rental rates upward. Average industrial rent reached $4.81 per square foot, a 4.6 percent increase since last quarter and a 25.5 percent increase over the last 12 months.

* At the close of the second quarter, Nashville’s industrial market absorbed 3,330,799 million square feet, exceeding last year’s mid-year 2015 numbers by 1.4 million square feet.

* Nashville boasts 4.2 million square feet of industrial space under construction, with 3.5 million square feet scheduled for completion by the end of this year.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

Backstory on the little-known bank that has pumped $490 million into Nashville commercial and residential real estate in the past 3 years:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/07/26/bold-unknown-bank-pumps-500-million-into.html

Pretty interesting.  Seems they are a bank that decided they would run out in front of all of these skittish "big" banks and do loans that others hem and haw over.  If these end up being home runs for this bank...their shareholders are going to reap some handsome rewards.  Go big or go home, I guess.

• Like 1

Ticked-off with all the Nashville construction development, or in love with it?  New survey seeks to get answers from the populace.  I think as many of us as possible in the Urban Planet Nashville group should weigh in.  Read about it and take the survey here:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/07/26/ticked-off-at-nashville-development-in-love-with.html

• Like 3

^Ah, yes, 2006. I remember those fun times. :rolleyes: It's remarkable this forum survived. I took a long break and was over at the Nashville Charrette until moseying back on over here to see that the gang was still here and everything still cooking.

As for our friend, John (Doormanpoet, et al), he's not been around in a bit, unfortunately. Maybe someone can call him back over.

Nashville home values up 11% over last year at same point according to today's Nashville Post:

The Nashville market saw a median price of $214,725 for all homes sold during the first six months of the year, an 11 percent increase compared to the number of the same period in 2015, according to a RE/MAX of Tennessee release.

In addition, the RE/MAX Market Trend Report for the first six months of 2016 showed a 2 percent increase in the number of closed transactions compared to sales during the same period for the prior year.

The average number of days on the market for all homes sold during the year’s first half was 70. The figure was 63 for the corresponding time period in 2015.

The average number of months supply of inventory in the first six months of 2016 was 1.6, a 38 percent decrease from the figure of the same period in 2015.

“It is the story we have been telling for months now — Nashville has a hot real estate market,” Jeanette Schneider, RE/MAX of Tennessee senior vice president, said in the release.Home prices and home sales are up while inventory is very low. This is good news for sellers as many of them can anticipate their home selling quickly once it is on the market and for a favorable price. For the buyers in the market, mortgage interest rates remain low. And while prices have gone up, many buyers have not been priced out of the market.

It's now official: Live Nation will be doing all of the booking for Municipal Auditorium.  This should be a real shot in the arm to help garner more consistent activity in our venerable historic arena, which still has some good years left in it.  Nice 70-image slide show of the 54-year history of the building accompanies this piece:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/industries/music/2016/08/02/live-nation-strikes-deal-book-shows-nashvilles-municipal-auditorium/87964058/

• Like 1

Commentary from the Tennessean about the upcoming 2017 property tax reappraisals: http://www.tennessean.com/story/opinion/editorials/2016/08/07/homeowners-prepare-higher-property-tax-bills/88045854/

Certainly something that those of us who live in Davidson County should be proactive about in communicating with our council reps and the mayor's office. Major value appreciation + new, inexperienced property assessor could make for interesting/expensive times over the next couple of years. 

• Like 1

Question. Driving around Nashville recently I noticed so many new construction homes that look like they're made of plastic. The builders seem to be placing two on each lot. What concerns me is the materials they're using.

How are these homes going to age? What will they look like in 10-15 years? They're expensive, like 700k, but they look like they're cheap. Is this impression accurate?

Any insights, or anyone that has knowledge about how they're being built, I'd love to know more details on all these houses that are filling in our city.