Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

2 hours ago, bhibbs said:

The Tennessean to sell offices, pursue new Nashville home http://tnne.ws/2bpOVFM 

The Tennessean is putting its longtime offices up for sale, as the media company considers a new downtown Nashville home better suited for its expanding digital operation.

Though no sales price has been named, the 10-acre property at 1100 Broadway covers a full city block adjacent to the booming Gulch neighborhood and is expected to fetch a sizable price for The Tennessean's parent company, Gannett Co. Inc.

Whoa.   This is huge.  Between the Tennessean's 10 acres, the LifePoint campus and the Endeavor project, the west side of downtown could be completely transformed over the next 10 yrs.    

There are 8 developers with ready to go plans from the MDHA Trolley Barn bid process.   With a few modifications, any of those could work on the Tennessean site.    

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bhibbs said:

The Tennessean to sell offices, pursue new Nashville home http://tnne.ws/2bpOVFM 

The Tennessean is putting its longtime offices up for sale, as the media company considers a new downtown Nashville home better suited for its expanding digital operation.

Though no sales price has been named, the 10-acre property at 1100 Broadway covers a full city block adjacent to the booming Gulch neighborhood and is expected to fetch a sizable price for The Tennessean's parent company, Gannett Co. Inc.

GREAT news!!

• Like 2

In the second quarter, the average prices of a new, detached, single-family home in the Nashville area rose to a record $381,100, up from $346,000 at the same time in 2015, according to Metrostudy's latest field survey. "With prices above the $300,000s, affordability may soon become an issue," said Eugene James, the firm's senior regional director over the Nashville market.

Guess I am going to be stuck in my townhome for the rest of my life. Or just have to move to another city. Do people in Nashville make this much money, or are most people having incredibly high mortgages? 

Edited by bigeasy

That stat is misleading. The median price for a single-family detached home in Nashville is $267K. What it looks like they did is average that with the median for Williamson County, which is $452K, and presto, a "Nashville-area" home looks really expensive. Of course, if they factored in Cheatham, Sumner, Wilson, etc., the average would likely be lower than $267K.

The article also only focuses on the supply of vacant raw lots, which is only a portion of the calculation for housing supply. I don't see the point of publishing such an article without including the larger context of multifamily units, rentals, existing lots, HPRs, etc. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, shanky said:

Speaking of Chicken, Prince's is opening up new location on South side, mere minutes from me, and they're serving beer as well!  I have put my cardiologist on speed dial!!!

Woot! I saw that also. Will be about a mile from there. Did you ever go to the place it is replacing? 3rd Base Bar or something like that. 

1 hour ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

A few months ago I made the above observations, and I wanted to give an update after being in town last weekend and doing a little drive-around.

Thanks for that recap of your assessment, Nathan.  Since you've been living away from the region for quite some time now, it's likely probably a bit easier to be a bit more objective in your observations than those like me, who have become so disgusted and used to it, that they have become "comfortably numb" to it.  I'm sick and tired of having to walk into the roadway beneath the 4th and 5th Ave. North RR underpasses, because the sidewalks constantly have pigeon droppings (and toppings) from roosts beneath those overhead girders, and it's very easy to "spin off" on it, if one passes unaware of these hazards.  RR underpass pedestrian-way maintenance is the responsibility of the city, not the railroad. 

Plus, the stink trees (Ailanthus) literally have taken over, city-wide, and frequently observed growing and hanging over the wing-walls of bridge underpass abutment piers.  One's taking a leap of faith (and courage) to walk under the CSX underpass over Murfreesboro Road at Aladdin Industries and the Lane Motor Museum (between Menzler Rd and Arlington Ave.), as the passageways of this ancient structure stay clogged with hanging vines and washout debris, something for which there is absolutely no excuse.  Metro Public Works "never" should have to be informed of this by the reporting process, as they always should be proactive on handling such commonly known "no-brainer" problem areas.  And the trees intentionally planted along the street parkway strips have become so overgrown that they hang in one's face and buckle and break the sidewalk pavement.  Obstructions along most sidewalks force a zig-zag path, and at times an "edgewise" side-step when passing others, as on the south ped-way of the Demonbreun Street viaduct.

Demonbreun St Bridge Skinny South Sidewalk.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bigeasy said:

Guess I am going to be stuck in my townhome for the rest of my life. Or just have to move to another city. Do people in Nashville make this much money, or are most people having incredibly high mortgages? 

Also, these include only NEW, detached houses.  It does not include existing home sales.  There is definitely a premium paid for a new house. 

I do think attitudes will change toward housing in Nashville just as it has in larger cities previously.  No one expects to own a single family detached house in Manhattan, and people are fine with that. People rent, they buy condos, or they get roommates.  While Nashville isn't anywhere near that same level of expense for a house, I do think the expectation of purchasing a single family house in the urban core/Green Hills/Crieve Hall/etc on anything less than a 6 figure salary is gone. Condos, townhomes, and triplexes are alternatives as is buying around transit hubs away from the core that will yield easy access to the city. 

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 1:24 PM, bigeasy said:

Woot! I saw that also. Will be about a mile from there. Did you ever go to the place it is replacing? 3rd Base Bar or something like that. 

Yeah I used to go in there.  I would usually venture in when I didn't want to run into a big crowd.  Unfortunately, the lack of a crowd probably had a lot to do with their closing

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, markhollin said:

I am serving this week on a jury trying a case between some development entities around a downtown concern.  I can't say anything more right now, but it is very interesting, and my involvement on this discussion board has given me great insights as to all the behind-the-scenes machinations.  Will give a full report once the case is decided several days from now.

Hope you get to send someone to the pokey.  Will up your street cred. :tw_glasses:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

I am serving this week on a jury trying a case between some development entities around a downtown concern.  I can't say anything more right now, but it is very interesting, and my involvement on this discussion board has given me great insights as to all the behind-the-scenes machinations.  Will give a full report once the case is decided several days from now.

Tell Taylor Swift we said Hi!

Edit: I see where she has now been excused....

Edited by PHofKS
  • Like 2

It's always interesting, for perspective, to see other cities grappling with the same issues we are.    In Edmonton, a city roughly the size of Nashville in population, the community is upset about the city's approval of an above-grade parking pedestal under what will be the city's new tallest (a 45 story residential tower called The Emerald).   The developer explains (pretty well, actually) that it comes down to the economics of going below grade vs. what the market will pay for the units.   Above-grade pedestals are common here (way too common for my taste), but in communities that aren't used to them, people call them out for what they are - poor urban design.     

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/real-estate/calgary-and-edmonton/above-grade-parking-hobbles-edmontons-tallest-high-rise/article31583437/

"Oliver residents also turned out in force to voice their concerns. “The biggest issue we have is the urban design,” says Dustin Martin, civics director for the Oliver Community League. “The developer is proposing above-grade parking, which means the second, third and fourth levels aren’t in active use. The retail bays at ground level, in our opinion, are too large. We want developments to support smaller, local business owners. We also want more affordable options and three-bedroom units for families.”

“Edmonton is still in a mentality of ‘any development is good development,’ but that’s incorrect and the faster we grow the more incorrect it becomes. Suburban councillors approved the Emerald; councillors representing the city’s core disputed it. There’s some catching up to be done in terms of how Edmonton see’s itself.”"

• Like 3