Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

On 9/23/2016 at 3:29 PM, titanhog said:

Who are your top 3 landowners you wish would sell and allow redevelopment?

I've mentioned them in the past, and will do so again:

1) The parking lot at NE corner of 4th Avenue South and Symphony Place. Has the same footprint as Pinnacle, and a 40-story beauty would fit nicely there:

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 8.34.34 AM.png

2) The huge parking lot facing KVB between 2nd and 3rd Avenues South. Could be home to a couple of behemoths...I'm envisioning at least one of them being perhaps the biggest in town (50-60 stories).

KVB lot 2 between 2nd and 3rd, Aug. 2016.png

3) The lot along Commerce Street between Rosa Parks and 7th Avenue North.  With the new Federal Courthouse going up across the street, the LifeWay Campus redevelopment catty-corner to the NW, the old convention center development just a block east, this whole corridor along Commerce is going to be popping, and something grand need to go right here.

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 8.39.39 AM.png

• Like 4

- Who owns the parking lot facing KVB along 2nd and 3rd avenues? I wish Nissan had built their headquarters there, similar to Bridgestone

- I always thought a bell tower, similar to the one in Florence, Italy, would fit nicely in front of the Symphony Hall

https://www.google.com/search?q=florence+italy&biw=1745&bih=973&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiGp7H9n7LPAhVE2R4KHZadBW8Q_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=florence+italy+bell+tower&imgrc=UpmKcxt-AFvCzM%3A

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

- Who owns the parking lot facing KVB along 2nd and 3rd avenues? I wish Nissan had built their headquarters there, similar to Bridgestone

- I always thought a bell tower, similar to the one in Florence, Italy, would fit nicely in front of the Symphony Hall

https://www.google.com/search?q=florence+italy&biw=1745&bih=973&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiGp7H9n7LPAhVE2R4KHZadBW8Q_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=florence+italy+bell+tower&imgrc=UpmKcxt-AFvCzM%3A

Ragland owns it and rents it out to Asurion.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, markhollin said:

1) The parking lot at NE corner of 4th Avenue South and Symphony Place. Has the same footprint as Pinnacle, and a 40-story beauty would fit nicely there:

I think there are multiple land owners at this location. I think as many as three.

46 minutes ago, markhollin said:

2) The huge parking lot facing KVB between 2nd and 3rd Avenues South. Could be home to a couple of behemoths...I'm envisioning at least one of them being perhaps the biggest in town (50-60 stories).

That is in fact owned by CB Ragland. Michael Hayes will redevelop this site at some point and I think it could be something special. Remember guys, we have so many areas that could be built out as compared to other cities, its almost laughable. Huge tracts and blocks of land that will take 40 to 50 years to build out.

49 minutes ago, markhollin said:

That is where I would love to see a big boy, but again will be a ways down the road.

The old CC site, Lifeway campus site, NW Mutual site will have to get built out first as they are all competing for large office tenants to go in office building to be built on those sites.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nashvillwill said:

One very important thing you guys are forgetting. You can't sell alcohol (or advertise it) on a college campus. Considering this would be a significant revenue stream and source of sponsorship for an MLS team, I can't see a partnership working here. And Vandy would never consider building an off campus stadium. 

Read this. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2016/09/16/exclusive-vanderbilt-talks-new-football-stadium/90126742/

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

That is in fact owned by CB Ragland. Michael Hayes will redevelop this site at some point and I think it could be something special.

I've been told that whatever parking is being taken away will be replaced in a garage in a surrounding area.  So the new building on Malloy would be a candidate I suppose.  Asurion is also losing parking up across from Ascend once those buildings get started.  Either way it will be a long time before that huge lot between 2nd and 3rd gets built on.

13 hours ago, nashvillwill said:

You can't sell alcohol (or advertise it) on a college campus.

Really? My (public) university sold beer on campus. Granted this wasn't in TN. Prohibited by state law? Is there no differentiation between public/private?

Never mind. Answered in a later post.

Edited by Rockatansky
Sorry.

13 minutes ago, AUNash said:

I know this might be a minority view, but I would really love to see this particular lot converted into a public plaza. Yes, I know Hall of Fame Park is right across the street. But if this spot could be converted into a plaza, you could have a upgraded passageway from Broad through to the Shelby St Bridge and the front entrance to the schermerhorn. The places on Broadway that back up to it could have patio/outdoor seating in back, which would enliven that area. This could also be really useful space for the various festivals downtown. And if they could put an underground parking lot underneath as well, That would be perfect. I think this would be a great addition to downtown.

I agree with you 100%...I've always thought it would be a perfect bridge between Broadway and Sobro, and also kind of provide a little bit of a pressure release valve, if you will, for the crowds on Broadway.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AUNash said:

I know this might be a minority view, but I would really love to see this particular lot converted into a public plaza. Yes, I know Hall of Fame Park is right across the street. But if this spot could be converted into a plaza, you could have a upgraded passageway from Broad through to the Shelby St Bridge and the front entrance to the schermerhorn. The places on Broadway that back up to it could have patio/outdoor seating in back, which would enliven that area. This could also be really useful space for the various festivals downtown. And if they could put an underground parking lot underneath as well, That would be perfect. I think this would be a great addition to downtown.

I agree 110%. The bell tower concept is interesting, but have always wanted this to be a public park/plaza. My understanding is that Parks has wanted to make this into a "grand plaza" to serve as an entrance into the Schermerhorn Symphony Center

I can understand the desire for a tall building here, due to the impact it would have on the skyline. But it would most likely be a travesty to Broadway if that ever occurred

• Like 1

^ ^ ^ I'm not sure how it would be a "travesty to Broadway" if there were a tall building there.  AT&T is just 1/2 block from Broadway on the other side of the street, and that looks fine.  And the Grand Plaza idea seems a bit odd since HOF Park is right across the street and is already underutilized much of the time.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, markhollin said:

^ ^ ^ I'm not sure how it would be a "travesty to Broadway" if there were a tall building there.  AT&T is just 1/2 block from Broadway on the other side of the street, and that looks fine.  And the Grand Plaza idea seems a bit odd since HOF Park is right across the street and is already underutilized much of the time.

If we take a look at the aerial you posted of that space above, my ideal scenario would be for this hypothetical plaza to be made up of the upside down 'T' and the remaining large square space be left for the development of a high rise.  I don't know if that's even plausible, but to me you'd get the best of both worlds.  I agree with you that there is no need for a plaza to take up that entire lot, but I do think a 'grand entrance' of sorts that also connects the Schermerhorn to Broadway would be beautiful.  Thoughts?

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

If anyone enjoys live music, they should absolutely watch an incredible show called "Later, With Jools Holland," which is a BBC show that is essentially a talk show, if the talking portion and the music portion were flipped in terms of importance.  It airs tonight on MTV Live (formerly Palladia) at 9PM Central, and the reason I bring it up is because, although 'Nashville' is not an official theme, three of the six live acts are from Nashville.  You have the extremely famous Jack White and Kings of Leon, but then you also have an amazing up and coming talent named Kandace Springs, again, also from Nashville, who does some astoundingly beautiful soul music that is reminiscent of classic Motown.  

Thanks for the tip!     I saw Kandace Springs at Bonnaroo last year ('15).   She played on one of the small stages (Solar, I think) where you could walk right up front and listen.   She's incredible! 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Maybe travesty is too harsh a word, but I absolutely concur that this would be an ideal spot for a plaza (a bigger plaza), as long as the northern end has street level activation that would encourage an indoor/outdoor vibe. Cafe tables and whatnot. I think the front door of the Schermerhorn could be a natural public gathering place. But really, I'm only talking about that narrow strip of parking adding to what's already there. 

14 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

Thanks for the tip!     I saw Kandace Springs at Bonnaroo last year ('15).   She played on one of the small stages (Solar, I think) where you could walk right up front and listen.   She's incredible! 

That's awesome!  She seems like she'd be amazing live...I honestly have only recently been introduced to her music, and you're right, she really is incredible.  Very proud to have her representing the city.  

But yes, Later With Jools Holland is one of my favorite programs out there...it is *ALL* about the music...Jools Holland himself is extremely passionate about music, and it shows...he showcases all genres from all eras, and loves to give up and coming artists the spotlight, giving them equal time to the big names.  The show is done in this really unique 'stage in the round' style where all the artists have their own small stage...an artist performs a song, then once they are done the camera in the middle of the room immediately pans to the right where the next artist/group is waiting, and on and on.  What I find really cool is that when an act is performing, you can see all the other acts listening to them and reacting in their own way as fans themselves.  Such a unique show.

From the Nashville Post:

The Nashville office of Cushman & Wakefield has released its third quarter reports of the commercial real estate sector, with the vacancy rate for Class A, B and C buildings at 4.7 percent, down from the 6.2 percent mart at the beginning of the year.

The report notes expansion has surpassed supply and driven rental rates to all-time highs.

Of note, the report shows that the last year Nashville built more office space than it absorbed was 2009, which had a 14 percent vacancy rate at the time.

Since then, 2.9 million square feet of office space has been built and 5.6 million square feet has been absorbed. Absorption through the first three quarters of 2016 totaled 883,000 square feet.

On the industrial side, the reports shows that absorption through the first three quarters totaled 3.3 million square feet, just under the figure for the same period last year.

Last year’s annual total of 6.5 MSF is likely to be surpassed as completions scheduled for the fourth quarter include another 3.3 MSF of leased or build-to-suit space.

• Like 1