Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

59 minutes ago, Nashtitans said:

The whole Sounds stadium area is a fail when it comes to this...Imagine the type of business that could be happening when baseball fans leave the stadium and are looking to buy or eat something.

I remember listening to an interview with Karl Dean on Nashville Public Radio several years ago when the plan to build the stadium at the old Sulphur Dell site was initially being discussed. As I'm sure most of you recall, prior to that, most bets were on a new Sounds stadium being built south of Broadway.

The justification given by then-Mayor Dean for building the stadium on the north side of the Capitol was that this area offered more potential for development, as compared to the already highly saturated SoBo area. The idea was that the stadium would serve as a catalyst for bars, restaurants, retail, etc. to move into the area, creating something akin to Wrigleyville.

I say all this in support of your statement that, as of now, the stadium has been far from successful, especially considering that the main goal in choosing the location was to spark the this particular type of development. 

Edited by Canuck87
  • Like 2

Mayor Berry has hired Brian Kelsey to serve as the city's first-ever "Chief Strategy Officer."

The position was recommended as part of the Strategic Budgeting and Innovation Project Public Investment Plan, and its purpose is to "promote collaboration and align the Metro budget with the needs and priorities of Nashville's residents."

Kelsey is the Principal and Founder of Civic Analytics, an economic development research and consulting firm based in Austin, Texas. He also served as an adjunct lecturer in economic development at The University of Texas at Austin.

He will work with Metro department heads and staff, as well as citizens, to design and implement changes to government functions. Additionally, he will work with the city's chief data officer to better collect and publish data.

Hopefully, he can bring some of that Austin-growth with him to Nashville.

Coverage:

Press Release: http://www.nashville.gov/News-Media/News-Article/ID/5964/Mayor-Barry-Names-Brian-Kelsey-to-Serve-as-Chief-Strategy-Officer-for-Metro.aspx

Tennessean Article: http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2016/12/13/mayor-barry-appoints-first-chief-strategy-officer-bring-business-tools-nashville/95384374/

Nashville Post Article: http://www.nashvillepost.com/politics/metro-government/article/20846643/barry-fills-new-chief-strategy-officer-position

Full biography: http://civicanalytics.com/brian-kelsey/

BK.JPG

Edited by Canuck87
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, samsonh said:

Completely agree. Stadium has been a huge hit as far as I am concerned. It has helped stir activity in an area people used to never go. Once these apartments start opening up the area will be buzzing. I am not sure what people expect from a minor league stadium, but Nashville is getting good bang for its buck.

I agree with both of you, and I certainly did not intend to come across as critical of the stadium itself or the city's decision in choosing that location. I think it's an excellent facility, and I really believe the location will prove to be the best choice in the long run. 

If anything, I'm surprised that: A) it's taken as long as it has to develop the area around the ballpark (not that 1.5 years is an especially long time), and B) that the existing development (i.e., the Carillon Apartments) did not do more to cater to the park's attendees. But neither of those issues are attributable to the city.

I guess I was expecting more of an immediate response from developers, but to echo Mark, Rome wasn't built in a day...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, samsonh said:

Eventually, when the Ward Family's Sounds Apartments (400 units including retail/restaurants wrapped around the third base line and left field), Stockyard Apartments (310 units with some retail/restaurants just a block east), and Provident Germantown (on hold for now, but 300+ units with retail/restaurant a block and a half southeast), are up and running, that will add to the percolation around the stadium.

I know this is off topic, but I can't help but marvel at how densely populated Germantown is going to be. That whole place is going to be very much alive, especially on game nights.

• Like 4

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/12/14/nashville-still-cant-top-austin-according-to-new.html

"Despite the city's quick growth, Nashville still can't top two of its most competitive peer cities, Austin, Texas, and Raleigh, N.C., on a new list of the country's best-performing cities.

According to a new study released by the Milken Institute, Nashville ranks No. 7 in relation to its 2016 growth in employment opportunities, wages and technology. Austin, meanwhile, came in at No. 2 and Raleigh was ranked No. 6.

Though it fell short of these notable competitors, Music City saw its individual rank increase 11 spots compared to its 2015 performance.

“America’s best-performing cities yet again demonstrated their innovation advantage aligned with high levels of entrepreneurship,” Ross DeVol, chief research officer of the Milken Institute, said in a news release. “That is witnessed not just in ‘traditional’ technology but in medical and financial services.”

Not having an abundance of high-tech jobs is what ultimately impacted Nashville's overall score. For instance, if the entire United States' concentration of high-tech jobs is scored as a 1.0, then Nashville's is 0.65, according to the study. By comparison, the study's No. 1 city, San Jose, Calif., has a concentration of 4.42.

While highly touted, Nashville's tech scene has lagged behind both Austin and Raleigh's Research Triangle, both of which had a higher concentration of technology jobs than Nashville. Take, for example the tech war between Nashville and Austin. In 2015, Nashville-area startups raised a combined $135.9 million, while Austin’s brought in $740 million.

Nashville's overall rank benefited from solid wage growth. The war for talent in Greater Nashville has led several of the city's largest employers to raise wages in order to retain their best employees, as we wrote about recently in relation to the city's booming restaurant sector."

• Like 1

What's really holding Nashville back as far as tech jobs growth is the lack of local major university STEM programs. UT Austin has more engineering students than Vanderbilt's entire undergraduate enrollment. Raleigh has NC State, Duke, UNC Chapel Hill to pull from, with Wake Forest less than 100 miles away.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SoundScan said:

What's really holding Nashville back as far as tech jobs growth is the lack of local major university STEM programs. UT Austin has more engineering students than Vanderbilt's entire undergraduate enrollment. Raleigh has NC State, Duke, UNC Chapel Hill to pull from, with Wake Forest less than 100 miles away.

What is the reason that UT (Tenn) doesn't have a Nashville campus?  Is it because of TSU?

7 hours ago, titanhog said:

What is the reason that UT (Tenn) doesn't have a Nashville campus?  Is it because of TSU?

UT Nashville was shut down because of a lawsuit claiming that its existence was defacto segregation. The person behind the lawsuit, who's name I cannot remember at the moment, spoke at my graduation from UT back in 2006, giving the most self congratulatory oration I had heard up to that time and since. 

Edited by Nathan_in_DC
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

UT Nashville was shut down because of a lawsuit claiming that it's existence was defacto segregation. The person behind the lawsuit, who's name I cannot remember at the moment, spoke at my graduation from UT back in 2006, giving the most self congratulatory oration I had heard up to that time and since. 

Not that it matters but wasn't it Avon Williams to whom your referring to?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

UT Nashville was shut down because of a lawsuit claiming that its existence was defacto segregation. The person behind the lawsuit, who's name I cannot remember at the moment, spoke at my graduation from UT back in 2006, giving the most self congratulatory oration I had heard up to that time and since. 

16 hours ago, shanky said:

Not that it matters but wasn't it Avon Williams to whom your referring to?

16 hours ago, bhibbs said:

he died in 93, so that would be a very creepy speech in 06

Nathan might have been referring to Avon Williams III, who died in 2005.  He attended the former Peabody Demonstration School (then a part of Geo Peabody College, prior to it becoming incorporated with Vanderbilt), a K-12 school from where I was graduated in 1969, when he had been in about the 2nd or 3rd grade.  Indeed it was reported that he had tooted a mouth full of whistles form time to time.

It was his father, a former Tennessee state senator and prominent civil rights lawyer (as well as the divorce attorney for my parents in 1963), who died in 1993.  That was the one who actually had initiated the litigation.

16 minutes ago, rookzie said:

Nathan might have been referring to Avon Williams III, who died in 2005.  He attended the former Peabody Demonstration School (then a part of Geo Peabody College, prior to it becoming incorporated with Vanderbilt), a K-12 school from where I was graduated in 1969, when he had been in about the 2nd or 3rd grade.  Indeed it was reported that he had tooted a mouth full of whistles form time to time.

It was his father, a former Tennessee state senator and prominent civil rights lawyer (as well as the divorce attorney for my parents in 1963), who died in 1993.  That was the one who actually had initiated the litigation.

I like the idea of the ghost of AW giving the commencement

22 minutes ago, Canuck87 said:

"Nashville: ‘Music City’ has amplified appeal for homebuyers"

A great write-up about Nashville's recent growth and development from the Financial Times. 

https://www.ft.com/content/26e68698-bd42-11e6-8b45-b8b81dd5d080

The article appears to be locked behind a paywall. Any chance of pasting a screenshot of the article? Thanks!

11 hours ago, rookzie said:

Nope, it was a lady. I cannot believe I'm blanking on her name at the moment. She was one of the main plaintiffs in the case.