Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

43 minutes ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

Nope, it was a lady. I cannot believe I'm blanking on her name at the moment. She was one of the main plaintiffs in the case.

Wonder if she might have been Rita Sanders Geier, who had been one of those who filed the suit way back in 1968, when I turned a senior in H.S.  When I took a handful of classed at UTN, during the late '70s, I opted for transcripts as UT rather than as TSU, because that's what I had intended when I started.

10 hours ago, rookzie said:

Wonder if she might have been Rita Sanders Geier, who had been one of those who filed the suit way back in 1968, when I turned a senior in H.S.  When I took a handful of classed at UTN, during the late '70s, I opted for transcripts as UT rather than as TSU, because that's what I had intended when I started.

YES! That was her!

Nashville's record 70 months in a row tourism record comes to an end.  Is this is a sign we've maybe reached critical mass on hotel room prices?  Or...was this just inevitable and we'll pick right back up and start another continuous month over month trend?

The Tennessean reports that Music City’s streak of 70 consecutive months of record tourism numbers, the longest streak in U.S. history, ended in October.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/12/16/report-nashville-s-record-setting-tourism-streak.html

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Nashville's record 70 months in a row tourism record comes to an end.  Is this is a sign we've maybe reached critical mass on hotel room prices?  Or...was this just inevitable and we'll pick right back up and start another continuous month over month trend?

The Tennessean reports that Music City’s streak of 70 consecutive months of record tourism numbers, the longest streak in U.S. history, ended in October.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/12/16/report-nashville-s-record-setting-tourism-streak.html

The data indicates Nashville set another local record for hotel tax collections in October, the streak of room night records — which measures how many hotel rooms are booked — came to an end, but it still is the second-best month in the history of the city.

• Like 4

Interesting that UTN had an enrollment of 6,000, in the 1970's. I'm guessing this was a total headcount of even non university level students. So much for TSU having the campus, they've not capitalized on it at all. They'd be better off giving it to MTSU or the state should re-charter the University of Nashville as an urban institute (similar to Memphis, Louisville, Cincinnati, and Houston). There's opportunity for higher education downtown.

• Like 2

Something of a technical question, so putting it in B&P, but is anyone else experiencing random pop up ads on Urban Planet?     This has started happening to me within the last couple of weeks.   I'll be in a thread and audio ads will suddenly start playing.    There doesn't appear to be any accompanying video and there is no apparent way to make the audio stop except to exit out of the thread.   Annoying to say the least. 

• Like 2

Google Earth has updated their imagery for the Nashville area. New dates are in late October 2016. Featuring new attractions such as the Westin and Thompson hotels, 1212 Demonbreun, SoBro, Skyhouse, Aertson, start of Capitol View, the stupid "TITANS" wordmark in the seats in the Car Hole, and a slightly different water level in Lake Palmer.

• Like 1

New Year's Eve has turned Nashville into a top tourist destination.  Interesting stats and background:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2016/12/28/nashville-turns-new-years-eve-into-major-tourism-draw/95879422/

Davidson County hotel occupancy for Dec. 31

2008: 59.7 percent

2009: 63.1 percent

2010: 75.7 percent

2011: 90.3 percent

2012: 84.2 percent

2013: 80.5 percent

2014: 86.9 percent

2015: 91.6 percent

Source: Nashville Convention and Visitors Corp.

• Like 2