Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Of course, I wrote that in a speculative sort of way.  But I recall when the first Super Bowl was announced for 1994 in Atlanta, back in spring 1990, there were several articles in the AJC about additional air service, to/from several midsize cities, in the wake of the announcement.  I'll see if I can find any of them, but they were usually in small business blurbs.  Anyway, anything related to the SB was soon to be overtaken by the announcement of the Olympics later that year. 

Edited by MLBrumby

On 1/17/2017 at 2:14 PM, titanhog said:

Thanks.  I'm actually working on making a color-coded map.  Thing is...it appears many neighborhoods have different names...so I'm not sure what to call each neighborhood...so I'm having to flip a coin on some.  And...each neighborhood's boundary is a little sketchy on different maps.  However...my map should at least be close.

I guess it's all we have, but this particular map is more a map of neighborhood associations than geographic neighborhoods, isn't it? Some of these "neighborhoods" are not much more than a block in size while some are relatively huge, and much of Nashville isn't assigned to any neighborhood. Google gives me more what I'd expect as neighborhood boundaries, at least for some neighborhoods (the boundaries show up in my desktop browser, but not on my iPhone):

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Inglewood,+Nashville,+TN/@36.21564,-86.7361566,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x886468210ed8072b:0xf0900e2e5f447f74!8m2!3d36.2127781!4d-86.7164863

Chicago's definition of its neighborhoods has long seemed to me to be pretty close to the gold standard in this respect, with clear neighborhood boundaries and not too many tiny enclaves:

city_neighborhoods_old-map.jpg

Edited by billgregg55
  • Like 2

^^Yeah...the one thing I noticed about Google Maps is that I couldn't get all of the neighborhoods they have in their system to pop up at once...ala that Chicago map.  Is there a way to get Google to show all of the neighborhoods with their boundaries on one map at one time...instead of having to do them one at a time?

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

^^Yeah...the one thing I noticed about Google Maps is that I couldn't get all of the neighborhoods they have in their system to pop up at once...ala that Chicago map.  Is there a way to get Google to show all of the neighborhoods with their boundaries on one map at one time...instead of having to do them one at a time?

I haven't found a way. Some of their neighborhood definitions overlap, and last I checked, some neighborhoods like Antioch don't have boundaries, so it wouldn't be a perfect neighborhood scheme, but it would be interesting to see on a map.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billgregg55 said:

I haven't found a way. Some of their neighborhood definitions overlap, and last I checked, some neighborhoods like Antioch don't have boundaries, so it wouldn't be a perfect neighborhood scheme, but it would be interesting to see on a map.

If and when I get my map completed, I'll post it on here.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

Nashville needs a domed stadium or a warmer winter climate to host the Superbowl.

Does anyone know the dimensions of Nissan Stadium? With the newly renovated TV screens, seats, technology, etc... I honestly believe in renovating / adding onto the existing stadium than building one from scratch. Look halfway down the article at the link below - I think we should add on a roof. 

http://www.startribune.com/what-it-took-to-build-u-s-bank-stadium/383837311/

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Does anyone know the dimensions of Nissan Stadium? With the newly renovated TV screens, seats, technology, etc... I honestly believe in renovating / adding onto the existing stadium than building one from scratch. Look halfway down the article at the link below - I think we should add on a roof. 

http://www.startribune.com/what-it-took-to-build-u-s-bank-stadium/383837311/

The seating layout of US Bank and Nissan are very similar! The real question is can you actually build a roof that big over the existing structure?

• Like 1

Because of the inevitable... when the owner of the Titans announce that they want a new dome, or else they'll move.  Then the denizens of Nashville will need to decide if they will bend to their extortion. I don't make the rules.  I've just been a spectator of the game for many years now. 

Someone asked if the stadium can be "retrofitted" to be a dome, and I know for a fact that it was designed to enable that sort of "expansion" It's why seating in the end zones is small and the structure is wrapped in what looks like an exoskeleton. Of course like all large venues, it may be obsolete by league standards by the time Nashville begins to discuss a new home for the Titans. 

A study would need to be done on other domed NFL stadia and the economic impact they've had, specifically in Indianapolis, Atlanta, Detroit, Dallas, New Orleans, Houston, Arizona, and Detroit.  All but the latter are towns that have strong convention business, and also have the hotel support in their areas to support major events.  But even Detroit's Ford Field hosted one Super Bowl.

A state-of-the-the-art 70,000 seat retractable dome with flexibility to be scaled down to 40,000 for basketball and other "half house" events could have quite a few uses over the course of any given year:

A minimum of 10 NFL games (2 pre-season and 8 regular season)

Possibly 2 NFL playoff games

2 collegiate football games in the fall (one of the TSU Classics and the UT series)

The Music City Bowl

Super Bowl (if all goes well, could end up in a rotation every 5 years or so like Arizona, Dallas, New Orleans because of their reputations as great host cities)

3 nights of concerts at CMA Week

At least 4 more major concerts

Moto cross event

Monster Truck event

10 days for really huge convention use (would develop a strong relationship with MCC and Opryland Hotel for MAJOR conventions that need 40-70,000 seat capacity for certain gatherings)

20 Major League Soccer games

3 possible MLS Soccer playoff games

2 amateur national soccer matches

1 major religious rally

1 NHL Winter Classic game

1 X-Games type event

1 Wrestlemania

2 days of NCAA Basketball Final Four

1 SEC Football Championship game

2 days of Tennessee H.S. Football Championship playoffs

1 day of major rodeo 

TOTAL of 72 events in a really good year, and probably 50 events in a "slow" year.

Nashville has become an entertainment destination city, much like Las Vegas and New Orleans, so it is quite conceivable that major events like these would like to have a city with our ever-growing positive hospitality reputation on their regular docket.

Additionally, there would be other revenue streams from rentals of banquet halls, club level restaurant rentals, stadium tours, Titans locker room tours, Titans Hall of Fame, attached parking garages, etc.

• Like 3

Wasn't aware that Karl Dean co-authored a new book, "Nashville: The South's New Metropolis," that was just released.  I'll pick up a copy today and let you know what it's like. Nice interview with the former mayor here about the themes in the book:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/01/21/karl-dean-talks-new-nashville-book-possible-run-governor/96843226/

• Like 3

15 hours ago, japan said:

Has that been done successfully?  I know no one has done it in the NFL.

While not a football stadium, Arthur Ashe Stadium in Queens added a roof. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/30/nyregion/how-the-roof-was-raised-at-arthur-ashe-stadium.html?_r=0

Hard Rock Stadium for the Dolphins went through a complete renovation and added parts of a roof, so I believe we can add a roof.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2016/09/01/all-eyes-on-renovated-renamed-hard-rock-stadium-tonight/ 

Little war going on between Metro Planning and Metro Council.  Who do you guys see as the "bad guy?"

In a trend that’s become more commonplace as development pressure mounts in Nashville, 12 zoning proposals recommended for rejection by the Metro Planning Commission were nonetheless approved by the Metro Council in the past two years. In the previous five years, the council voted to override the commission 10 times.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2017/01/21/development-booms-nashville-council-goes-against-planners-more-often/96585874/

19 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Might Pinnacle need a new tower in the next few years?  Pinnacle bank has just acquired another bank (BNC) out of NC.  While their assets are a modest $20 billion, the company's growth trajectory has been remarkable. The acquisition puts the bank in the top 50 in the country, well on the way to its founders' stated goal of becoming “the dominant bank in southeastern commercial banking." Started in 2000, it had less than $5 billion, just five years ago when their downtown HQ tower was built.  

From the Tennessean... http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2017/01/22/pinnacle-financial-partners-acquire-bnc-bancorp/96934022/

Is this their national HQ?

13 minutes ago, titanhog said:

But it's in many states now, right?

According to their website, it appears to be located only within the big four TN metros, and now, NC, SC, and Roanoke VA. 

Oddly enough, there appears to be another Pinnacle Bank with locations in and around Lincoln, NE that is a completely separate entity.  Weird...

Edited by BnaBreaker