Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Seems we're by no means alone with aesthetic clashes from rapid development. Found this interesting read on Flipboard today in the 'Urbanism' mag. It's about  Denver, but as you scroll through the article you'll notice houses, townhomes and apartments that look quite familiar with our own. BTW - I'm not judging anyone's taste in housing....

https://www.citylab.com/design/2017/03/denver-battles-with-its-fugly-new-housing/519333/

• Like 4

^Actually, apart from the 2nd picture which looks exactly like every new apartment building in Nashville but with fewer windows (presumably in response to the intense light of their dry climate) I don't find any of that objectionable.  The tan, desert-y looking ones at the top I quite like.  And to those people complaining the tall buildings don't fit into their neighborhood, your neighborhood sucks.  That said, the newer buildings should have more landscaping, weird to me how even in expensive subdivisions the landscaping is always a cheaply done afterthought.

king-st-1640-2.jpg?w=1024

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Flatrock said:

Seems we're by no means alone with aesthetic clashes from rapid development. Found this interesting read on Flipboard today in the 'Urbanism' mag. It's about  Denver, but as you scroll through the article you'll notice houses, townhomes and apartments that look quite familiar with our own. BTW - I'm not judging anyone's taste in housing....

https://www.citylab.com/design/2017/03/denver-battles-with-its-fugly-new-housing/519333/

I see I am not the only one that reads Flipboard's urbanism Mag. Tons of great stories there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bhibbs said:

On the Nashville building boom: "I think we've seen the peak," says Metro Codes Director Terry Cobb. "There, I said it."

Tweet from Tony Gonzales from NPR Nashville

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a gun pointed in his face, Tony looked Terry in the eye... "All this talk about Nashville being the 'it city'... it's all lies... isn't it? A slow down's coming.. isn't it, Terry?"  "Never!" Terry retorted. *Tony wrestles Terry to the ground* "You tell me the truth about the building boom, or you're done!" yelled Tony. Battered and beaten, Terry looked up at Tony and mumbled "I.... I think we've seen the peak. There, I said it!"  And it was at that moment, we all knew Nashville's fate.

Edited by claya91
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, bhibbs said:

On the Nashville building boom: "I think we've seen the peak," says Metro Codes Director Terry Cobb. "There, I said it."

Tweet from Tony Gonzales from NPR Nashville

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:rofl:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bezoar said:

I love that they're thinking about something like this. I'd love an observation tower since Atlanta already has a wheel but I could still get really excited about this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, henburg said:

I love that they're thinking about something like this. I'd love an observation tower since Atlanta already has a wheel but I could still get really excited about this.

Not a bad spot but wouldn't it be better on the other side of the river?  I feel like there won't be much of a view from the east side. Picture it somewhere in SoBro where you can see the entire downtown, all the buildings in West Nashville, south towards the airport...

• Like 1

^ Agreed.

The office and hotel demand is going to slow down (a little) with all the projects that are already UC or starting this year.  I'm just really looking forwrd to late 2018 and into 2019 when we mostly fill up the new residential projects and maybe even the office space too.  The next wave of projects that will be announced then will hopefully be even more impressive than what we've gotten during the current wave.  And we've still got enough cool stuff going on in the meantime to keep track of.

• Like 1