Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I did not claim that a 50% increase in assessed value equals a 50% increase in my taxes so I can only assume you quoted me by mistake...

I looked-up the new assessed valuation for my property and then took the .25 factor and then applied the tax rate and THEN noted the increase in my taxes. So....

20 hours ago, samsonh said:

50% bump in assessed value is not going to equal a 50% bump in taxes. Overall amount of tax collection remains the same county wide. How people forget this every reassessment blows my mind.

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

I did not claim that a 50% increase in assessed value equals a 50% increase in my taxes so I can only assume you quoted me by mistake...

I looked-up the new assessed valuation for my property and then took the .25 factor and then applied the tax rate and THEN noted the increase in my taxes. So....

This is also incorrect. You cannot use the same multiplier on the .25 factor from the last assessment. It will change. You will most likely see a 10-20% increase in property taxes(as will I for that matter). This is all publicily available information.

Its important to understand how systems work before getting angry.

not angry at all, but thanks for checking...

I strive to learn new things everyday. So, instead of twice letting me know "that is not how it works" why don't you explain how 'it' works?

Thanks

3 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

not angry at all, but thanks for checking...

I strive to learn new things everyday. So, instead of twice letting me know "that is not how it works" why don't you explain how 'it' works?

Thanks

The 4.516 you are referring to will be lowered in conjunction with the commercial rate to ensure an equal amount of tax dollars are brought in. That new rate will come out in the coming months. You will find out your new bill later this year. That help?

This isn't my job btw. I just pay attention to things as as a property owner.

Edited by samsonh

Never once thought it was your job.

How about we put a pin in this and circle back when the 'new rate' has been decided. With history as a guide I will place a marker that my new rate will be closer to a 45% percent increase that a 20% increase...we shall see. 

Edited by Guest

16 minutes ago, nashville_bound said:

Never once thought it was your job.

How about we put a pin in this and circle back when the 'new rate' has been decided. With history as a guide I will place a marker that me new rate will be close to a 45% percent increase that a 20% increase...we shall see. 

It is purely mathematically set. It really all depends on how much commercial value has gained and the quantity of commercial added. I doubt you will see 45, if you do I do as well. I think it will be closer to 20-25. Some will gain and some will lose. My guess is your small government buddy fm will gain, and you and I will lose. But you and I have gained a great deal in value on our properties. I am more than happy to pay a small percentage to our nice city. I have a great deal of pride in Nashville and am willing to invest in it.

Edited by samsonh

Is the Rock N Roll Marathon a huge deal? I was planning on riding greenway into town on Saturday and just heard on the radio that the marathon was this Saturday. I don't' want to mess with riding around downtown if there are going to be tons of road closures and people everywhere. It also looks like part of the greenway is on the route, so do they close down the actual greenway? (Shelby Bottoms)

4 minutes ago, bigeasy said:

Is the Rock N Roll Marathon a huge deal? I was planning on riding greenway into town on Saturday and just heard on the radio that the marathon was this Saturday. I don't' want to mess with riding around downtown if there are going to be tons of road closures and people everywhere. It also looks like part of the greenway is on the route, so do they close down the actual greenway? (Shelby Bottoms)

It is pretty big.  One of RnR biggest.  There are maps available for road closures on the local news sites.  Would be wise to stay away from downtown if you can.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

It is pretty big.  One of RnR biggest.  There are maps available for road closures on the local news sites.  Would be wise to stay away from downtown if you can.

Thanks! I figured that was the case. The one map I found mentioned that the Shelby Bottoms Nature Center was closed, so I am assuming all of the greenway is till 1:30. (I really only asked this question so that we could change the subject in this thread :D) I kinda wish we had midnight bike rides on marathon courses like some cities do, but I guess they don't' close the roads that early.

Side note: every time I see your thumbnail picture I laugh to myself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

Thirty thousand runners and I avoid downtown and the entire route like the plague all day Saturday.

Guess I will change my route then. Friend I was riding with hates hills, so I told him we could do the greenway. Guess we can go with Percy Warner now (evil laugh)

47 minutes ago, bigeasy said:

Guess I will change my route then. Friend I was riding with hates hills, so I told him we could do the greenway. Guess we can go with Percy Warner now (evil laugh)

Stones River or Mills Creek (depending on the distance you want). Otherwise, Murfreesboro

1 hour ago, LA_TN said:

Stones River or Mills Creek (depending on the distance you want). Otherwise, Murfreesboro

I've biked both the Stones River GW and the Harpeth River GW (Basically an extension of Percy/Edwin Warner) several times. Stones River is rather hilly, IMO. The majority of the Harpeth River Greenway follows the banks the river so it's relatively flat until you get to Morton Mill at the very tail end. I was actually out there last night and it was still impassible (by road bike standards) from the weekend deluge. Awesome trail though!

Edited by claya91
  • Like 1

He said he wants to ride 30 miles, but I am doubtful since he hasn't been on a bike in awhile. Last time we rode from Crockett Park to Arrington Vineyards he stopped on the side of the road and I had to ride home to get a car and pick him up haha.

Stones River isn't bad, but I HATE the section between the dam and Kohls as there are too many people. I will probably choose Harpeth section though since he has never rode there and I don't think he has seen Ensworth before, which to me is a really impressive looking school.

• Like 2

Those of us who walk the Stones River Greenway aren't too fond of some of the speed racers on bicycles either! The greenways are built as shared assets for our community...walk to the right, folks-bike riders signal with a bell or "on your left," please. Can't we just all get along?

Edited by donNdonelson2
Spelling

36 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Those of us who walk the Stones River Greenway aren't too fond of some of the speed racers on bicycles either! The greenways are built as shared assets for our community...walk to the right, folks-bike riders signal with a bell or "on your left," please. Can't we just all get along?

I don't think I said I wasn't fond of the walkers, but since you mentioned it :D  My frustration with the walkers are the people that do it 3-4 wide, have a dog on a long leash, or can't hear me ask to pass because of their music. Both sides have their faults, but the Stone River section seems to be the worst. To me that section has the casual users, and Shelby Bottoms has the people that use it more consistently/for exercise so they are more aware of their surroundings.

All that being said, if you are riding a triathlon bike on the greenway then you are at the wrong place. There is a reason the speed limit is 15mph. It isn't a race track.

• Like 4