Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

From the Nashville Post:

Turner report: Construction in Nashville to remain strong through year

Construction activity in the Nashville market should remain healthy throughout 2017, driven in part by office projects either underway or expected to soon start, according to a recently released report from the Nashville office of Turner Construction Co.

The first quarter report shows a predicted uptick in work in the public and higher education sectors.

In addition, construction of large-scale commercial and industrial projects is forecast to remain strong through 2018. The public sector is particularly active, with examples including the Nashville International Airport expansion and the planned federal courthouse project.

The report lists the multi-unit residential sector as the only sector not predicted to grow this year, as demand catches up with an oversupply of apartments and condominiums recently completed or underway.

“Nashville’s growth in the past few years has been tremendous to witness and shows no signs of slowing down in the near future,” Matt Nicholson, manager of business development at Turner Construction in Nashville, said in the release. “It’s an exciting time and a great place to be in our business — and we at Turner look forward to continue playing an active role in this historic growth.”

Nashville is not alone in experiencing a construction boom, the report notes. Most regions of the country expect construction activity to be either “stable” or “growing” in 2017 and 2018, according to the report. The only areas foreseeing a slowdown in 2018 are Connecticut, Dallas and Houston.

The report also shows that the South is outpacing other regions of the country in growth, with a backlog in commercial/industrial construction of 10.7 months. In comparison, the Middle States region has an 8.3-month backlog, followed by the Northeast (7.6-month backlog) and the West (6.6-month backlog).

Nationally, the backlog of commercial and institutional construction expanded by nearly 4 percent during 2016.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, markhollin said:

In addition, construction of large-scale commercial and industrial projects is forecast to remain strong through 2018. The public sector is particularly active, with examples including the Nashville International Airport expansion and the planned federal courthouse project.

Speaking of which--in case there was ever any doubt:

This lot is now striped for parking and equipped with several pay machines.

• Like 3

The only good thing about the time that's passed and continues to pass is that (hopefully) when they actually get serious about it, they'll realize that the Motel 6 thing they've proposed is obsolete and just won't cut it.  [fingers crossed]

BTW: We in Chatty are also in line to replace the Solomon Federal Building, but it's really a beautiful 1930s art deco building constructed in about the time when Nashville post office (now Frist Museum) was built.  We're in no hurry to see that building be replaced. I doubt it would ever be demolished, but it sees a lot of use these days. 

Mods-

I am posting this in Bits and Pieces because this is th location of the post to which I am responding...similar to the courthouse post (which is why I did not post it in the Courthouse thread - to do so would have made little sense. Feel free to move any of my posts to the proper thread just also move the post I had referenced so that the context remains.

To your larger point - political positing in threads - I will offer one suggestion that will help reduce the issue in the future. From my perspective, most of the longer threads concerning politics ensue when a moderator has allowed a progressive talking point to be posted without any comment. Shut it down quickly and I think you will see no conservatives respond...let it linger and you will of course have a back and forth. JMO

4 hours ago, UTgrad09 said:

You can when it's relevant. 

There's a thread for the courthouse that's not labeled "Bits and Pieces"....

I understand that a lot of development issues relate to politics. But when we have the same users getting in the same stale debates over multiple threads....no. Just no.

Message to all (I'm quoting you, nashville_bound, but I'm speaking to all. Just want to make it clear that I'm not singling you out): We have those of both the right and left persuasion  on this board. And neither of you may be 100% right. So please keep an open mind when posting, and realize that there are people with other views. Do not insult them. We're much less likely to intervene in a lively, but informative political debate than we are with one with the same stupid labelling and name-calling that we usually see. It's the two or three page back-and-forth that most people are complaining about. Imagine if you're on mobile and looking for news, and you have to wade through political BS in the top threads just to find anything relevant...and, on top of that, imagine if that political BS is the same version that s spouted over and over, and is responded to with the same stale rebuttal. We get nowhere. It's a waste of bandwidth. 

Keep your political takes fresh and on-point, and don't clog the threads with bickering over the same tired arguments. Make us moderators useless. This applies to the right and to the left.

So far, you're doing a poor job.

Signed -- a moderator seeking less work

58 minutes ago, nashville_bound said:

To your larger point - political positing in threads - I will offer one suggestion that will help reduce the issue in the future. From my perspective, most of the longer threads concerning politics ensue when a moderator has allowed a progressive talking point to be posted without any comment. Shut it down quickly and I think you will see no conservatives respond...let it linger and you will of course have a back and forth. JMO

I completely understand what you're saying -- and I personally groan when I see a "progressive" talking point posted. 

The issue in my mind is that a simple political post zooms out from being a local political issue to being a national political issue. It's the same trap, over and over.

Personally, I think local politics are very fair when it comes to development. And if those opinions can be presented in a reasonable manner, I see no reason to moderate them. It's when it becomes a mudslinging contest that moderators have to step in. We don't want to be speech nazis. We would rather this board self-moderate. It usually does, but not always.

And we can't always immediately step in and shut something down. We have day jobs, too. From 10-7 pm, I can moderate from my phone. You don't want me moderating from my phone.

8 hours ago, UTgrad09 said:

So far, you're doing a poor job.

Signed -- a moderator seeking less work

I appreciate everything the mods do to try to keep this site focused on the evolution and development of Nashville. I know it's tough to try to create and enforce clear guidelines to resist standard internet forum momentum that spirals into flame wars.

It's particularly difficult, though, when you're dealing with someone who's not really interested in stimulating conversations on the primary topic, but very clearly does enjoy endless debates about site moderation and perceived bias. After the 10th time some guy derails a thread with the same shtick (introduce a marginally peripheral topic then loudly defend himself as a victim of injustice when people try to steer it back on course), you can give in and acknowledge that he isn't participating in good faith. Carefully re-explaining the guidelines (always without *singling anyone out*) are only going to provide him with more opportunities to debate semantics and re-litigate past injustices.

At some point you have to appreciate the craftsmanship of the provocateur. As a matter of fact, without singling anyone out, I salute everyone - on the left and the right - who's primary interest is derailing all these boring conversations on here about new buildings, neighborhood development, and mass transit, so that we can talk about the REAL overarching issue of our times (you know what it is ;) ). You haven't disrupted all of them, but you (again, without singling anyone out) have certainly succeeded in disrupting this particular one for another day.

• Like 1

So, I've been waiting months for someone to post about this, but I haven't seen anyone do it yet. Maybe I've missed it, but here it is. There is a single family home under construction on the west side. What's so special about it? The location. Here is a picture of the house (taken from my vehicle on I-40);

IMG_9214_1.jpg

This house is nearly hanging over I-40 E at the I-440 E onramp. Don't get me wrong, it's a mighty fine house. Anywhere else in the city and I would love to own it. Thing is, it is so close to the interstate I can't imagine anyone wanting to live there. It's also probably listed for $500k+. You can even see that it has already been tagged with graffiti. Even if they add a soundwall at a later time, I can't imagine much will help with this homes proximity to the interstate and the associated road noise. Is this a sign of a boom on the verge of bust? Or is it just different expectations for people from different (more dense) cities? Have developers gone mad? Or am I just too poor to own such a nice house regardless of where it is? 

Thoughts?

• Like 4

The State just took about 10 top 12 feet of the hillside for the roadway, which makes it look even closer. If you take the time to drive up there you will see even more of these California style homes not too far on up the hill. This is also the location a dump truck fell off the hill into traffic several months back.

As far as I know the developers of Sky Nashville are still trying to push forward with even more homes or apartments on the hill closer to 440.

As far as the noise, I am 100% with you. I would have no desire to live there because of that. Also not the tagging of the foundation of the house. That happened several months back and I am surprised the builders have not removed it yet.

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

The State just took about 10 top 12 feet of the hillside for the roadway, which makes it look even closer. If you take the time to drive up there you will see even more of these California style homes not too far on up the hill. This is also the location a dump truck fell off the hill into traffic several months back.

As far as I know the developers of Sky Nashville are still trying to push forward with even more homes or apartments on the hill closer to 440.

As far as the noise, I am 100% with you. I would have no desire to live there because of that. Also not the tagging of the foundation of the house. That happened several months back and I am surprised the builders have not removed it yet.

What are california style homes? Like those modern looking houses set on a hill overlooking the city ?

The State just took about 10 top 12 feet of the hillside for the roadway, which makes it look even closer. If you take the time to drive up there you will see even more of these California style homes not too far on up the hill.

They have sometimes been referred to as 'Malibu Homes', much like the narrow homes that line the beach in Malibu. I have also heard them referred to as 'skyline' homes for the incredible views of the skyline they have. The houses on Trinity Lane near I-65 north are also 'skyline' homes.

• Like 3

On 5/1/2017 at 2:24 PM, markhollin said:

I think the answer seems to be no, no it can't. Old or New, "Nashville" can't get along with anyone, to sum it up, "Try getting off the government teat and producing instead of riding in the wagon." as one commenter said, yeesh.