Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

15 hours ago, GreenHillsBoy said:

When, not if, we have to replace Nissan, we must MAKE the billionaire Adams family contribute significantly to the cost.  I was part of the Nashville YES! Group to  bring the Oilers here and have had season tickets since.  HOWEVER, I am sick of billionaire owners basically blackmailing cities to spend billions on these luxurious stadiums for millionaire players.  I don't want to lose the Titans, but common sense and priorities must be in line with the greater good and need for cities and their taxpayers.

Until there is a federal law that prohibits taxpayer subsidies by states or municipalities the owners will continue to do as they are now. If Nashville doesn't play the game then the Titans or Preds will move somewhere else. It's very similar to corporate tax breaks for relocating headquarters or industrial expansion.  This can't be legislated at the state level, and definitely can't be acted upon at the city level. This is a place for Congress to step in and do something.

• Like 3

To be clear, are you advocating that the federal government step-in and legislate a prohibition against state and local governments offering incentives to private enterprises? I also believe that to be, not only unconstitutional, but unwise. I also believe it to be injudicious to build the Titans a new stadium on the backs of Metro taxpayers, but the politicians we vote in have the authority to enact such a plan.

1 hour ago, Hey_Hey said:

Until there is a federal law that prohibits taxpayer subsidies by states or municipalities the owners will continue to do as they are now. If Nashville doesn't play the game then the Titans or Preds will move somewhere else. It's very similar to corporate tax breaks for relocating headquarters or industrial expansion.  This can't be legislated at the state level, and definitely can't be acted upon at the city level. This is a place for Congress to step in and do something.

Edited by Guest

42 minutes ago, nashville_bound said:

To be clear, are you advocating that the federal government step-in and legislate a prohibition against state and local governments offering incentives to private enterprises? I also believe that to be, not only unconstitutional, but unwise. I also believe it to be injudicious to build the Titans a new stadium on the backs of Metro taxpayers, but the politicians we vote in have the authority to enact such a plan.

It would be unconstitutional for the federal government to ban cities/states from building stadiums and providing other incentives, but because of the fed's power to regulate interstate commerce, they could probably prevent the Broncos from crossing state lines to play in an unsanctioned tax-payer funded stadium here in Nashville, for example.  That would not only put an end to the NFL as we know it, which would create quite the uproar to say the least, but such a backwards approach to addressing the stadium finance issue would look ridiculous at face value to even casual observers and is pretty indefensible.  Neither side of the aisle as any political motivation to kick that kind of hornets nest, and no one really has any better ideas so far as I can tell, thus the stadium finance and corporate relocation subsidy race to the bottom continues. 

What's ironic is, I bet a vast majority of people would have no problem if the governors of each of the 50 states got together and decided to simultaneously propose legislation banning the public financing of stadiums.  Of course, then each of the 50 state legislatures would have to successfully enact that legislation, which would require years and years of revisions and be a total mess of a process that almost certainly would result in failure--which brings to mind the very problems that led to the creation of our federal government in the first place but which it seems currently helpless to help resolve.

No one is holding a gun to the heads of cities / citizens when it comes to financing stadiums.  The city / elected officials / citizens get to decide if they want to "play ball" with the owners and build new stadiums.  If not, the owner has a right to go to a city that will "pay up."  If the owner wants to stay in that current city bad enough, he/she will "pay up."

It really is a supply / demand issue.  If a city and its citizens want pro sports bad enough, they'll overpay for the product and the city that's "had enough" of paying for subsidized stadiums will lose their team.  If there's little demand, suddenly the citizens will be able to call the shots.  Until then...it's going to remain status quo.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, WebberThomas4 said:

Saw this yesterday.    Awesome.     Also saw there were hundreds of people in town this weekend for the vintage car show at Nissan Stadium and MCC.    They were lining the Seigenthaler bridge and gaining an appreciation for Preds Mania!    

• Like 3

9 hours ago, CenterHill said:

Great article in the NY Times about the evolution of hockey in Nashville.   Some excellent photos, too.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/22/sports/hockey/from-hockey-101-in-nashville-to-a-phd-with-predators.html?emc=edit_th_20170522&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=28320608&_r=0

22PREDATORSjp1-superJumbo.jpg

Edit:   I see Mark has posted the same link in another thread.     I love this post-game shot of Broadway. 

"Hockey-tonk."  I love it!

• Like 1