Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I wish I could go to that concert, but either group being a headliner detracts from the amount of songs the other does. Besides, I am too old to sit outside in the elements, because I will either blow away or melt. My days of outdoor amphitheaters passed a long time ago.

I have seen Muse and really liked the concert. A big fan of 30 seconds as well. Wish I would have caught them at Rocketown when they were in town a few years back.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

That was an incredible article! Great perspective and a credible insight on how the Canadian hockey establishment really see us. Love it. Craving a Penguin match-up, but after reading that, it makes me want to play Ottawa  (and beat the s#*! out of them).

• Like 4

On 4/22/2017 at 10:02 PM, nashville_bound said:

Never once thought it was your job.

How about we put a pin in this and circle back when the 'new rate' has been decided. With history as a guide I will place a marker that my new rate will be closer to a 45% percent increase that a 20% increase...we shall see. 

The new USD rate will be 3.155. Personal example: My property increased by 43% in assessed value. With the new tax rate I will be paying less in property taxes. Hope that helps!

http://www.nashville.gov/mc/resolutions/term_2015_2019/rs2017_682.htm

9 minutes ago, nashville_bound said:

I will check online - that would be awesome if my taxes declined....still skeptical but will update - thanks

It is not yet online. You will have to do the calculation yourself based upon the assessed value. For those of us in the USD it is: ((New Assessed Value/4)/100)x 3.155(new USD rate)

Edited by samsonh
  • Like 3

On 5/23/2017 at 2:03 PM, bigeasy said:

I am going to the Muse / 30 Seconds to Mars concert at Ascend the night of the first home game as well. Downtown is going to be crazy!!

I've also got tickets for both. I'm really hoping for an afternoon puck drop. If not, I'll have some Muse tickets for sale. 

Edited by nashvillwill

From the Memphis Commercial Appeal....of all places...

Nashville overtakes Memphis as Tennessee's largest city

The largest city in Tennessee is officially no longer Memphis. New Census figures pass that crown to Nashville.

Census population estimates released Thursday show Nashville was home to 660,388 people in 2016. Memphis had 652,717 residents, falling 7,671 short of Nashville.

There is an asterisk of course. Read the article.

Edited by PHofKS

27 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

There will always be an asterisk, as far as the citizens of Memphis are concerned.  There also should be an asterisk regarding Nashville's square milage, since a fairly large portion of the milage included is nearly uninhabitable because of terrain.  Memphis' city limits also includes several "municipalities".  Overall, though, the number that really matters is the metro area, where Nashville totally crushes the Memphis metro. 

Consider some other cities...like Denver.  City population is around 600k...but their metro population is around 2.9 Million, totally swamping Memphis AND Nashville.  Or...go the other way and look at Jacksonville, FL.  They have a city population of about 820k...but a metro of less than 1.5 Million.  And look at Minneapolis:  City about 380k...but metro is 3.5 Million.  I doubt seriously that Memphis would ever try to place an asterisk next to Minneapolis and say they are bigger.

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

It's always bothered me when people quote the balance as our actual population. There is no reason why we should include Joelton and Pasquo and exclude Berry Hill or Belle Meade from the tally. If it weren't for city limit signs and patrol cars you couldn't even distinguish the boundaries. Davidson County satellite cities are unmistakably part of Nashville's identity and as time progresses you will probably see more of them absorbed into metro.

You can't say Memphis doesn't have one either. They continually annexed eastern Shelby Co in order to fight falling populations.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, claya91 said:

It's always bothered me when people quote the balance as our actual population. There is no reason why we should include Joelton and Pasquo and exclude Berry Hill or Belle Meade from the tally. If it weren't for city limit signs and patrol cars you couldn't even distinguish the boundaries. Davidson County satellite cities are unmistakably part of Nashville's identity and as time progresses you will probably see more of them absorbed into metro.

You can't say Memphis doesn't have one either. They continually annexed eastern Shelby Co in order to fight falling populations.

Now that the state has made it nearly impossible for cities to annex, Memphis's population is in decline.  And ever since Memphis essentially forced Shelby County to absorb the awful Memphis city schools, Shelby County's population is also in decline.  I hope and pray that Memphis will reverse its decline and regain some of its former glory, but I think that's a long ways off.

• Like 3