Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Most people here in Memphis are impressed by Nashville's growth. Many Memphians left to become part of it. There is always going to be some rivalry but in the long run we have been cursed with a less-progressive population and poor leadership here in Memphis. I will say this; I wish Nashville had a public university like the U of M - something the entire city could stand behind. Having come from Nashville, and now living in Memphis, I really the University of Nashville still existed.

• Like 1

I think Memphis' inevitable population growth (as slow as it may be) could someday come from people fleeing Nashville's ever-increasing cost of living. I already know of a few people who are leaving Nashville for Memphis and are amazed at the low cost of real estate and housing. They're selling their houses here, making a killing off the sale and then moving to Memphis to live a very comfortable life.

I don't see myself moving back to Memphis anytime soon -- I'm too much of a big/growing city kinda guy -- but you can't argue the economic sense it makes.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2017 at 10:10 AM, grilled_cheese said:

Preds

Looks like the finals home dates are going to line up with CMA Fest/Bonnaroo.  That will be interesting.

Here's something else as well... Walker Stalker is in Nashville next weekend.  It will draw thousands as just about every Walking Dead actor will be here aside from Rick.  They even have a zombie pub crawl Saturday night.  GOOD LUCK!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, VSRJ said:

I think Memphis' inevitable population growth (as slow as it may be) could someday come from people fleeing Nashville's ever-increasing cost of living. I already know of a few people who are leaving Nashville for Memphis and are amazed at the low cost of real estate and housing. They're selling their houses here, making a killing off the sale and then moving to Memphis to live a very comfortable life.

I don't see myself moving back to Memphis anytime soon -- I'm too much of a big/growing city kinda guy -- but you can't argue the economic sense it makes.

You can get super-modern, fully renovated condos on Front St. for 200K. It's insane.

Thing is... there is plenty of developable land in Davidson County for addition housing but the commute into the core is too time prohibitive. That said, the growing corporate presence on the edge of Davidson Co makes me happy.

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

You mean UT-Nashville? 

No - the original University of Nashville. From what I can tell it just never took off to become a traditional 4-year institution. It did spur others though. Just a wish. Look at how the University of Memphis, the University of Houston, and the University of Louisville are each deep-rooted into their prospective city's psyche. I guess a UT-Nashville would be an okay thing had it stuck around.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, memphian said:

No - the original University of Nashville. From what I can tell it just never took off to become a traditional 4-year institution. It did spur others though. Just a wish. Look at how the University of Memphis, the University of Houston, and the University of Louisville are each deep-rooted into their prospective city's psyche. I guess a UT-Nashville would be an okay thing had it stuck around.

Vanderbilt, Belmont, TSU, Lipscomb do essentially what you want, just without the Nashville name

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Vanderbilt, Belmont, TSU, Lipscomb do essentially what you want, just without the Nashville name

Yet none of them do. Its all good though, like I said "just a wish" that I think would be cool because I have experienced it in some other places. Of course those other places would probably love to have just this list of schools, not to mention those not named.

2 hours ago, claya91 said:

You can get super-modern, fully renovated condos on Front St. for 200K. It's insane.

Thing is... there is plenty of developable land in Davidson County for addition housing but the commute into the core is too time prohibitive. That said, the growing corporate presence on the edge of Davidson Co makes me happy.

I think one reason the condos are so cheap here is because that market never really developed here like it did in Nashville.

SInce we're discussing the 2016 population estimates, here's a breakdown.

Nashville Area Census Estimates - July 1, 2016 

Combined Statistical Area: 1,987,778

Metropolitan Statistical Area: 1,865,298

Nashville-Davidson County: 684,410  

Nashville-Davidson (Balance): 660,388 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, titanhog said:

They're so spread out and always annexing.

county_ugblg.jpg

Murfreesboro can't expand beyond the Urban Growth Boundary (darker red) but they still have lot of room to grow. They could easily double, or more, their current population.

As does Smyrna.

5 hours ago, PHofKS said:

Murfreesboro can't expand beyond the Urban Growth Boundary (darker red) but they still have lot of room to grow. They could easily double, or more, their current population.

As does Smyrna.

But that city limits portion for Murfreesboro (and probably Smyrna, too) is misleading.  There are so many large developments happening outside of the city limits that I'm pretty sure many of them are now part of the city proper.  I have a feeling this map is already outdated.  

As far as not growing outside of the UGB, Murfreesboro is really the one city in the county that could one day grow outside of it, if legally allowed.  

On 5/25/2017 at 1:17 PM, claya91 said:

It's always bothered me when people quote the balance as our actual population. There is no reason why we should include Joelton and Pasquo and exclude Berry Hill or Belle Meade from the tally. If it weren't for city limit signs and patrol cars you couldn't even distinguish the boundaries. Davidson County satellite cities are unmistakably part of Nashville's identity and as time progresses you will probably see more of them absorbed into metro.

You can't say Memphis doesn't have one either. They continually annexed eastern Shelby Co in order to fight falling populations.

Then how would you do it? Joelton, Pasquo, Antioch, etc are not chartered cities and/or gave up their charters during consolidation, thus they're absorbed and are part of the actual "City of Nashville" while the satellite cities are still chartered and have some autonomy. While the satellites are part of the "identity," they do not count.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 5:20 PM, BnaBreaker said:

Wow, imagine if Flea from RHCP, Chris Stapleton, The Weeknd, Roman Josi, PK Subban, Sidney Crosby, Nicole Kidman, Keith Urban, Mike Fisher, Carrie Underwood, and Norman Reedus all randomly wound up at the same bar.  I'm pretty sure I've had a dream about that once or twice...

I wouldn't know any of them (except Nicole and Carrie) if they bit me on the ass.

3 hours ago, NashRugger said:

Then how would you do it? Joelton, Pasquo, Antioch, etc are not chartered cities and/or gave up their charters during consolidation, thus they're absorbed and are part of the actual "City of Nashville" while the satellite cities are still chartered and have some autonomy. While the satellites are part of the "identity," they do not count.

I'm not proposing a cut and dry solution. I'm speaking to the fact that many formerly suburban satellite cities are now landlocked by Nashville, not Davidson County. It's not only the geographic discontinuity from a headcount standpoint. The reasons many of these communities sought autonomy has increasingly becoming irrelevant as Nashville has evolved. Not to mention the fact that their funding has been significantly cut by the phasing out of the Hall tax. The City of Oak Hill, for example, has struggled immensity from these cuts. Hell, they have to renegotiate their trash pick up contract about every other year because they can't cover the cost of their contract and that's the most significant public service the city provides. It's less and less feasible and it will require additional property taxes which residents won't be open to, to maintain.

Edited by claya91
Sp

Here's all the info on the Preds viewing parties during the Finals.

http://atozsportsnashville.com/smashville-epic-downtown-stanley-cup-party/

Here is the downtown party schedule for Games 1 to 4 of the Stanley Cup Final:

• Game 1, Monday, May 29, away game: Opens at 4 p.m. at Walk of Fame Park.
  • Game 2, Wednesday, May 31, away game: Opens at 4 p.m. at Walk of Fame Park.
  • Game 3, Saturday, June 3, home game: Opens at 3 p.m. on Lower Broadway.
  • Game 4, Monday, June 5, home game: Opens at 3 p.m. on Lower Broadway.

If additional games are necessary, more details will be released about the following parties:

• Game 5, Thursday, June 8, away game: Opens at 4 p.m. inside Bridgestone Arena.
  • Game 6, Sunday, June 11, home game: Opens at 4 p.m. on Lower Broadway at Fourth and Broadway and on Fifth Avenue with overflow at Walk of Fame Park in partnership with the CMA Music Festival.
  • Game 7, Wednesday, June 14, away game: Opens at 4 p.m. at TBD.
  • Like 4