Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Glad we are getting the HQ, but nominal impact at this time.

"As part of the move, three Pedestal employees are relocating from St. Louis to Nashville. The company expects to hire two additional local employees"

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

Glad we are getting the HQ, but nominal impact at this time.

"As part of the move, three Pedestal employees are relocating from St. Louis to Nashville. The company expects to hire two additional local employees"

Is this the big economic breaking news coming from the governor as fortold by Channel 4 news 12 hours ago on FB?  Sorry I'm slow to this one. Doesn't really sound significant 

4 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

Is this the big economic breaking news coming from the governor as fortold by Channel 4 news 12 hours ago on FB?  Sorry I'm slow to this one. Doesn't really sound significant 

No. They announced a direct flight to London.

• Like 1

We also relocated to Nashville from Knoxville... circa '05

4 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Has this been an exciting last few weeks or what?  IKEA, huge soccer crowds, the start of a couple of massive downtown developments, British Airways, and another billionaire investor in Nashville's MLS group.  I am soooo glad I moved to the Nashville area 4 years ago from Knoxville.  It's fun being part of such a dynamic and growing community.  I mean, I literally wake up each morning wondering what the Big Development News of the Day will be.  I remember when we used to get a big economic announcement maybe once every other year or so.  Now it seems that every month there's something new.  We've gotten spoiled, and I'm loving it.

The speed of a plane can vary with a strong tail wind. Ground speed may show 780 mph but the plane speed is 600. Like being on one of those people movers at the airport. You may be walking at 3 MPH but the sidewalk is moving at 2 MPH. So 5MPH is your speed but not really. I know a sub sonic plane cant exceed to supersonic because of design, but a tail wind is a little differing affect. I'm not a pilot, but one tried to explain it to me.

So basically if there is a tail wind of 225 MPH which is not unheard of  and the plane is travelling 590, the ground speed could show 815 MPH. 

Confusing to a novice!

I digress, back on topic.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The ATX said:

About time.  There is now a Chrome extension that removes Tennessee as a drop down menu option when selecting a state on an online form so Texans don't have to sort through two states beginning with a "T" before making a selection.

512Tech Article

Heaven forbid Texans spend an extra millisecond working through that exhausting selection. You're all so busy making the world a better place and stuff.....  And here I was thinking our 2 states shared so much intertwined history - and such. How about Davy Crockett? You're welcome. Not feeling the love at all. I was somewhat mollified noting other states under the gun. Though - us and Illinois mentioned in the same drop-down-menu-nixing breath was hard to take. Have to agree that all the states beginning with 'New' seem a little superfluous. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

I love telling Texans that since many of their founding fathers, like Davy Crockett and Sam Houston, were Tennesseans, I consider Texas to be somewhat of a colony of Tennessee's. Usually Texans take that really well ;)

Keep in mind though, a lot of our own "native sons" were born in NC.  All of "our" Presidents: James K Polk, Andrew Jackson and Andrew Johnson were born in NC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Griz83 said:

Keep in mind though, a lot of our own "native sons" were born in NC.  All of "our" Presidents: James K Polk, Andrew Jackson and Andrew Johnson were born in NC.

That's because Tennessee was part of North Carolina back then.  Even if Andrew Jackson had been born at the Hermitage, in 1767 it was still part of North Carolina.  It's not like Texas broke off from Tennessee the way Tennessee broke off from North Carolina.

Edited by jmtunafish

Sorry to digress, but must share.  My sister has lived in Texas almost 18 years now...in two years she will be allowed to call herself a Texan.  Early on, as I would often visit her, I would do and say things that weren't so pleasant to Texan soil.  I got over it...the disdain of honoring anything Tennessee from a Texan's point of view, of course, that was my own biased perception.  Texans make a fine brisket, and that...I respect.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

That's because Tennessee was part of North Carolina back then.  Even if Andrew Jackson had been born at the Hermitage, in 1767 it was still part of North Carolina.  It's not like Texas broke off from Tennessee the way Tennessee broke off from North Carolina.

True, BUT...Johnson was born in 1808 in Raleigh, NC - after TN statehood.  Polk was born one year before TN statehood, in 1795; but it was in what is now a suburb of Charlotte, NC.  Only Jackson was born well before TN became a state, in 1767; but, his birthplace was in an area along the NC/SC border.

I'm a Nashville native, but also a history buff.

Ok, back on topic now...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Griz83 said:

True, BUT...Johnson was born in 1808 in Raleigh, NC - after TN statehood.  Polk was born one year before TN statehood, in 1795; but it was in what is now a suburb of Charlotte, NC.  Only Jackson was born well before TN became a state, in 1767; but, his birthplace was in an area along the NC/SC border.

I'm a Nashville native, but also a history buff.

Ok, back on topic now...

Did Johnson or Polk have much to do with Tennessee becoming a state?  I think what the other posters are (rightfully) saying is that a strong contingency of Tennesseans was influential--and even lost blood--in Texas actually existing as Texas.  I don't think the same can be said about Johnson, Polk, or even Jackson.  But I may be wrong.

Fairly certain Jackson was involved in local politics in his late 20s.  Although I'm unsure of his involvement in TN's admission to the Union.  Regardless, many of our founders originated from NC, as the territory itself was a part of NC - as you stated.  You are also correct that many Tennesseans were involved in Texas eventually becoming a state.

1 hour ago, Griz83 said:

Fairly certain Jackson was involved in local politics in his late 20s.  Although I'm unsure of his involvement in TN's admission to the Union.  Regardless, many of our founders originated from NC, as the territory itself was a part of NC - as you stated.  You are also correct that many Tennesseans were involved in Texas eventually becoming a state.

Jackson fought in the Revolution so I'm assuming he was at least somewhat political a decade or so before statehood. if I'm not mistaken I believe he was a lieutenant. 

8 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

I love telling Texans that since many of their founding fathers, like Davy Crockett and Sam Houston, were Tennesseans, I consider Texas to be somewhat of a colony of Tennessee's. Usually Texans take that really well ;)

7 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Without Tennessee there'd be no Texas!

These are my usual go to lines since I live in Texas and am from Tennessee. Someone hit me back with the "And they were all running from something." which if you dig deep enough, it's sometimes true. Sidebar, but I met a man in his 70's originally from Mexico whose great grandfather ran from Hardeman County, TN to San Antonio and then eventually across the Rio Grande. 

Philip mentioned it above, but there are so many Tennesseans' names in the Alamo. My old roommate from college came to visit a few years back and I took him to the Alamo...before entering he was like "I wonder how many names of Tennessee counties are on the wall in there."