Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

3 hours ago, Griz83 said:

Fairly certain Jackson was involved in local politics in his late 20s.  Although I'm unsure of his involvement in TN's admission to the Union.  Regardless, many of our founders originated from NC, as the territory itself was a part of NC - as you stated.  You are also correct that many Tennesseans were involved in Texas eventually becoming a state.

Jackson was immediately elected to Congress as our first (and then sole) U.S. Congressman upon statehood in 1796.

51 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Sounds like they've hit a saturation point.  Is this happening with most festivals nowadays?  I know Bonnaroo has had some attendance slips the last year or two.

4 hours ago, titanhog said:

Sounds like they've hit a saturation point.  Is this happening with most festivals nowadays?  I know Bonnaroo has had some attendance slips the last year or two.

'Roo indeed had a slip in 2016 but attendance bounced back this year. 

• Like 4

Veteran Nashville-area commercial real estate official Pat Emery now fully owns Spectrum | Emery Inc. after having paid an undisclosed sum for the stake previously held by Charlotte-based The Spectrum Cos.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/mergers-acquisitions/article/20972820/area-real-estate-pro-assumes-ownership-in-franklin-company

Out of town investment companies have bought up 4,900 homes (mostly in south and east sides of metro) and converted them into rental properties. Definitely adding to the shortage in inventory for individual home buyers. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2017/08/17/investors-scoop-up-nashville-area-homes-add-competitive-market/545752001/

Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 10.26.58 AM.png

• Like 2

21 hours ago, markhollin said:

Out of town investment companies have bought up 4,900 homes (mostly in south and east sides of metro) and converted them into rental properties. Definitely adding to the shortage in inventory for individual home buyers. 

Wow, interesting article. No idea the scale of home purchases by property rental/ investment firms. I'm assuming most, if not all, are used for long-term rentals. Incredible. Having a tough impact for regular folks trying to buy a home.  I don't like it. 

• Like 3

From today's Nashville Post:

CBD, West End corridor home to city's priciest new apartment buildings

Nashville’s central business district and West End corridor have seen the nation’s largest volume of new luxury apartment building construction over the past 12 months, according to apartments.com.

The online resource notes the two districts’ high-end apartments are commanding about $1,700 for a one-bedroom unit. Units are getting an average of $2.30 per foot, with the high-end buildings collectively about 88 percent occupied.

A few miles farther from downtown, relatively new rental product on or near the Charlotte Avenue corridor, Madison/Rivergate and Williamson County are offering similar condo-style finishes and amenities at 20 percent lower lease rates, apartments.com reports.

Farther from the urban core, renters in the roughly 3,600 new or recently opened apartments in Southeast Davidson County, Wilson County, Donelson/Hermitage and Murfreesboro are paying about 30 percent less in rent than their peers living in units in the CBD and West End corridor, according to the site.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Here's the NBJ's article on Phillips.  Any chance they'll rent space downtown?

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/08/24/fortune-500-company-bringing-jobs-to-middle.html

"Functions that Philips plans to bring to the region include commercial operations, customer service operations, finance, human resources, information technology, marketing, procurement, and quality and regulatory."

I was thinking that "center of expertise" was code for a customer support call center (meaning they'd probably be looking in Donelson or the I-24 corridor) but the jobs in the above quote seem like they could merit downtown consideration. I don't know the square footage they'd need, but perhaps the KVB mainland tower could be a consideration, or the office tower in 5+Broadway. There's also a lot of speculative office space planned in Williamson County that could be appealing. It'll be a few years before they finish hiring all those people so who knows where they could end up.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

I just watched an episode of Whalburgers and it looks as if they will be opening a location in Nashville. The show alluded to a location next to the future home of Redneck Riviera. Location not firm yet. They are suppling food to the one in Vegas and I had speculated a deal could be in the works.

What would you guys compare the Wahlburgers to?  Good as 5 Guys?

9 hours ago, titanhog said:

What would you guys compare the Wahlburgers to?  Good as 5 Guys?

While I did not go in, I stood outside the one in the new development surrounding the new Atlanta Braves ballpark in Cobb County for a half hour while waiting for my ride back to the hotel. It seemed to be more bar than burger. Lots of televisions with nothing to make it special to me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

How do you guys think all of these glass towers will age, compared to the designs of the past 100 years or so?  I think of the certain eras and their skyscraper designs...and some still look marvelous today...and some did not age so nicely.

The thing I like most about modern designs is that they actually take street activation seriously, unlike many '60s-'90s designs. As far as the physical designs, who knows? The Pan-Am/MetLife building in New York could be defined as a "glass tower" and I think it still looks great despite being built in the early '60s, but there are plenty of other glass towers from that era that probably don't look good. I guess it depends on the design itself, on an individual basis. 

• Like 3

How do you guys think all of these glass towers will age, compared to the designs of the past 100 years or so?  I think of the certain eras and their skyscraper designs...and some still look marvelous today...and some did not age so nicely.

I think the Peachtree Plaza in Atlanta (completed in 1976) is a prime example of beautiful architecture from the last 50 years. It defies its age, and still (in my opinion) is the most beautiful and iconic tower there (or here, as I've moved to the Atlanta Metro a couple of years back.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dReAmWiELdEr said:

I think the Peachtree Plaza in Atlanta (completed in 1976) is a prime example of beautiful architecture from the last 50 years. It defies its age, and still (in my opinion) is the most beautiful and iconic tower there (or here, as I've moved to the Atlanta Metro a couple of years back.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a lot of beautiful old architecture...and a lot that's not so beautiful.  Seems quite a bit of the 60's-80's is hit or miss, at best...but buildings like the Empire State Building and Chrysler Building in NYC will always look incredible.

As for the glass towers...since we really haven't seen much of full glass like this before the last couple of decades...it will be interesting to see what people think of them in 50 years.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2017 at 7:15 PM, smeagolsfree said:

I just watched an episode of Whalburgers and it looks as if they will be opening a location in Nashville. The show alluded to a location next to the future home of Redneck Riviera. Location not firm yet. They are suppling food to the one in Vegas and I had speculated a deal could be in the works.

Redneck Riviera is referring to the one they're building in Foley, AL, in an amusement/theme park that has recently opened up. It miles from the beaches of Gulf Shores and Orange Beach. I also believe they are opening one in Huntsville as well.