Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Regarding this possible Amazon campus...how about this: Do some major deals to buy up the CB Ragland lot (that faces KVB on the south with 2nd and 3rd Ave. South on either side), the Howell Park Condos lot (that faces KVB on the north between 2nd and 3rd Ave. South on either side), the dormant One World Hotel site (that faces KVB on the north with Hermitage Ave. and 2nd Ave. South on either side),  the Cumulus Media block (facing Peabody on the north and 2nd Ave. South and Rutledge St. on either side), and the Mark Bloom site (facing Peabody on the north with  2nd and 3rd Ave. South on either side).  This would create a massive 5 square block campus that could have at least 5 various sized towers, and would be quite prominent at the "Gateway" to the city.   I'm getting dizzy thinking about it.    : )

Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 11.18.54 AM.png

• Like 4

I feel like FedEx could keep Amazon out of Memphis due to too much local competition, but I could be wrong. Also I'm skeptical about Amazon actually coming to Nashville but hopefully it will come to fruition.

In other news does anyone know where 1/2 of Philips' US operations will go in Nashville? I hope the KVB proposed tower personally 

• Like 1

The Mayor and Chamber of Commerce are on it in regards to this Amazon HQ bid...

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2017/09/07/nashville-make-bid-amazons-second-headquarters-50-000-jobs/641485001/

I would think if this had a chance of coming to fruition it would definitely accelerate the additions to the airport, the train system from the airport into the center city (if the Amazon HQ should be located downtown), as well as making the entire $6.8 billion transportation plan a definite priority.  It would also spark even more residential developments, additional hotel construction, etc.  The impact on this city would be absolutely massive for decades to come.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TNinVB said:

I was thinking Louisville, considering that UPS has their hub there and Amazon primarily uses UPS to ship. 

Has anyone heard about Amazon aspiring to start their own shipping fleet (not drones)?  So, maybe not Louisville.

Edited by tragenvol
wording
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, tragenvol said:

Has anyone heard about Amazon aspiring start their own shipping fleet (not drones)?  So, maybe not Louisville.

I think they've already got a few 767's in service, I can't remember if they're leased from other cargo airlines or owned outright by amazon. 

9 minutes ago, tragenvol said:

Has anyone heard about Amazon aspiring start their own shipping fleet (not drones)?  So, maybe not Louisville.

Plus, this race is for a HQ complex, not another distribution center.   Amazon certainly didn't mind locating huge distribution centers in Nashville and Chattanooga even though we're not UPS hubs, so I seriously doubt they're very concerned about building a HQ near a UPS hub.  If anything, Amazon might want its HQ near the UPS HQ which is in Atlanta.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, markhollin said:

^ ^ ^ As ZestyEd stated on the River North thread, that could be a great locale.  Additionally, maybe they could be the primary tenant of the new Mainland tower at KVB, and then Shelby Smith could sell the rest of his land around it for more towers.  Honestly,  the mind boggles, because there are lots of options with all the land that is still undeveloped within the innerbelt.  Methinks the Mayor's Office, Chamber of Commerce, and Governor's Office are scurrying about working furiously on ideas for this one.  : )

Mark, Bridgestone Tower will hold 2,000 employees. Mainland tower ... no. River North is the only available site, possibly Nashville Yards (but would have to go tall). Yes, mind boggling

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

Cargo transit does fit into the eqution as this is corpoarate not distribution. Did not see above response but I echo it.

Guys, we dont have a shot at this, unle@ the state decides to fund the entire 5 bilion in constructuion cost. 

I give Nashville a 1 in 25 shot. Logic would seemingly point to east coast. Philly, Atlanta, Charlotte possibly Pittsburgh, Baltimore. Less likely Dallas, Phoenix. Austin would seemingly be in play. Just never count out places like Indy, Detroit, St. Louis, Cincinnati

Not gonna be Nashville or Memphis

Nashville is strongly above average in terms of business environment, average in terms of workforce, universities and airport, and well below average in terms of mass transit. We are probably ahead of most cities in regards to potential office buildings that they could locate in as we already have several in the planning phase (could Nashville Yards be converted to more offie and eventually hold a few million sq feet of office buildings?).  I hope Nashville is a contender, but I can't help but think this is going to a larger city along the eastern seaboard. 

Agree that the River North area is the only place this would work in the core. There simply is not enough room anywhere else in the core with enough land, especially after looking at the size of the Seattle operation. Even if Nashville Yards had nothing on it, it still would not have the space needed.

Agree with Bob too about Atlanta, Philly, and some others, but not St Louis. They will not go to a city that has major issues such as St Louis or for that matter Detroit. Look for a socially progressive city. Another factor is how far west do they want to put their Eastern HQ. It would be sort of defeating the issue if you go to Minnesota, Michigan, or Missouri. My guess is Atlanta, Charlotte, or one of the big NE cities. A city along the same tier as Seattle.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Agree that the River North area is the only place this would work in the core. There simply is not enough room anywhere else in the core with enough land, especially after looking at the size of the Seattle operation. Even if Nashville Yards had nothing on it, it still would not have the space needed.

Agree with Bob too about Atlanta, Philly, and some others, but not St Louis. They will not go to a city that has major issues such as St Louis or for that matter Detroit. Look for a socially progressive city. Another factor is how far west do they want to put their Eastern HQ. It would be sort of defeating the issue if you go to Minnesota, Michigan, or Missouri. My guess is Atlanta, Charlotte, or one of the big NE cities. A city along the same tier as Seattle.

River North would also allow the city to engineer the area's mass transit to suit Amazon's specific needs, which probably couldn't happen anywhere else in the core, since everywhere else is so built up. 

• Like 3