smeagolsfree

Nashville Bits and Pieces

satalac    491
20 hours ago, CenterHill said:

This is true.   Not to paint with a broad brush, but there are a lot of very vocal complainers on the East Nashville FB page.    

I can't fathom the argument for preserving a scrap yard on your front doorstep.    

Hipsters love irony.

• Like 2

bhibbs    1804
13 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

Really, you don't think it's the ones that moved in post flood?

I will say, I have seen a major influx of high end luxury cars on the East Side the last few days.  A little disconcerting, IMO.

it really started post tornado, then got worse post flood

markhollin    19355

Couple of notes from today's Nashville Post:

Area sees continuing home sales, prices increases

RE/MAX Tennessee has released its latest Housing Report for the Greater Nashville Area, with the figures showing home prices are up 12.6 percent over the corresponding number from 2016.

In addition, home sales increased 3.4 percent from year to year.

Within the coverage area, Nashville saw the largest increase in home prices at 16.2 percent. The current median home sale price in Nashville is $346,785, up from the $298,450 the mark of one year ago.

Nashville offers nation’s lowest medical office space vacancy

Here is a tidbit of note, though it’s not surprising: According to the Atlanta office of CBRE, Nashville currently has the tightest medical office vacancy rate in the country at 2.8 percent. The number reflects the metro area’s “vibrant health care sector and robust population growth,” CBRE says.

• Like 3

Pdt2f    391

People moving from Illinois should be required to go through a course on fiscal responsibility in state government. That place is a mess. 

• Thanks 1

MLBrumby    3707

A lot of them are leaving that state b/c they are fiscally responsible. There are three families who recently moved to my neighborhood and they're all conservative Catholic families. They enjoyed living in the big city, but realized it was a terrible place to raise children.  The state is a fiscal mess, cost of living is high, and the quality of schools has declined since they were students in the same school systems. All of them are upper income professional families, and they're in TN to stay.  

I really like Chicago. Just took my boys there last spring. It's just sad to hear the people who were raised there lament its decline. It's not in a spiral yet! But they better turn things around fast. Maybe if they get the Amazon HQ, that will be a shot in the arm.

• Like 3

Pdt2f    391
22 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

A lot of them are leaving that state b/c they are fiscally responsible. There are three families who recently moved to my neighborhood and they're all conservative Catholic families. They enjoyed living in the big city, but realized it was a terrible place to raise children.  The state is a fiscal mess, cost of living is high, and the quality of schools has declined since they were students in the same school systems. All of them are upper income professional families, and they're in TN to stay.  

I really like Chicago. Just took my boys there last spring. It's just sad to hear the people who were raised there lament its decline. It's not in a spiral yet! But they better turn things around fast. Maybe if they get the Amazon HQ, that will be a shot in the arm.

Well good, I welcome those folks to our town! I'm happy that they want to move here. Chicago is a wonderful place, but I just hope that they don't vote for the same idiotic promises that have messed up that state's budget so bad. I'm probably just being dramatic, though. We don't have the insane pension liabilities and stagnant population that Illinois does. And I highly doubt amazon chooses Chicago, with the recent personal and corporate tax raises there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BnaBreaker    4604

The stagnant population and shaky financial situation on a statewide level are an issue no doubt, and you guys are obviously right to be critical of that.  But the other stuff I hear all the time from outsiders who's primary Chicago experience usually consists of an occasional weekend trip to Navy Pier and Michigan Ave, or no experience at all.   And when I hear them tell me, a guy who actually lives in Chicago, how supposedly unlivable, and unsafe and expensive Chicago is and how it's such a terrible place to raise children, I can do nothing but laugh.  I could go into greater detail refuting each of those things, but this isn't the place for that discussion.  Instead, I'll just leave this juicy little statistic here:  Chicago is ranked 28th out of all US cities with over 100K people  in violent crime rate, which places it LOWER on the list than cities like  Orlando, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Wichita, Cincinnati, and... oh yeah... NASHVILLE.   Sometimes our perceptions aren't everything, and occasionally need adjusting.  ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_crime_rate

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

Flatrock    615
40 minutes ago, Philip said:

I hope this leads to increased deep dish pizza.

This!   And yes,  it seems to be doing just that.  A new 312 Pizza location slated for Woodbine and a Gino's East moving into the Sole Mio spot. 

• Like 4