Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

Going to Paris and eating at McDonald's should be considered a violation of the Geneva Convention.  

I actually make it a point to visit an American fast-food restaurant (generally a McDonald's) in every country I visit; there is always something unique on the menu.  I don't eat all my meals there (or even one) but it's interesting to see how far and wide American culture has spread.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SoundScan said:

I actually make it a point to visit an American fast-food restaurant (generally a McDonald's) in every country I visit; there is always something unique on the menu.  I don't eat all my meals there (or even one) but it's interesting to see how far and wide American culture has spread.

Well that makes sense to me... to try it with a sense of curiosity... or hell, even if you just occasionally want something easy and familiar... but to eat most or, god forbid, all of your meals at American chains when you're on an international vacation... it's just a travesty to me, because food is such a gateway to a culture, and you're missing out on so much if one doesn't try it.  Anyway, I'll get off of my soapbox now.  haha

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, memphian said:

wow - those French songs are so... something. I was in  Berlin and Paris  just 2 weeks ago and saw nothing Nashville inspired but I did find this bistro in Paris.

Yup, there are lots of places in France called "Tennessee."  Here's one next to an Auchan (like a super duper Walmart) in Lille:

11206526_10153948629489256_1426705174572

And here's a burger at a Flunch in Arras, France, named for Tennessee:

11230739_10153950994509256_7036641199254

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Well that makes sense to me... to try it with a sense of curiosity... or hell, even if you just occasionally want something easy and familiar... but to eat most or, god forbid, all of your meals at American chains when you're on an international vacation... it's just a travesty to me, because food is such a gateway to a culture, and you're missing out on so much if one doesn't try it.  Anyway, I'll get off of my soapbox now.  haha

My experience at McDonald's in foreign countries is that the menu is drastically different than here. I miss the teriyaki burger in Japan and the chicken wings in Hong Kong. Still the best fries anywhere!! :D

• Like 1

An interview with John Eakin covering a variety of issues he sees as an office developer in Nashville:

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/nashville-post-magazine/article/20977099/my-hope-for-nashville-is-to-continue-to-have-balanced-wellplanned-growth

Also, another interview, this with Bill Miller, the man behind the Johnny Cash and Patsy Cline Museums:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/09/21/the-boss-once-a-teenage-member-of-the-johnny-cash.html

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Although NOT without restrictions.     The statement is from the article, and it's a misleading statement.       74% of those polled say short-term rentals should be partially or mostly restricted in how/where they operate.    Another 8% say they should be not allowed at all.     Only 17% favored STRs' right to operate in an unfettered manner.     

Nashville's ongoing debate is about what restrictions should apply.     Neighborhood groups, Metro Council and the Planning Commission would restrict the ability of non-owner occupied (Type II) STRs to continue operating in residential zoned (R and RS) neighborhoods.    Type I owner-occupied STRs would be allowed to  continue operating in residential zoning.      The industry, not surprisingly, opposes  any sort of regulation beyond permitting. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, CenterHill said:

Right.     Which is why the poll did not ask the question, "Would you like to live next door to an AirBnb?"

The house next to us sold and some yuppies with KY plates showed up and said it was their "investment property".  I was scared for a couple weeks thinking it would be a full time Airbnb house but a For Rent sign went up a few days ago.

On 9/26/2017 at 4:08 PM, Binbin98 said:

Today I went by the "Nashville to London" concert in canary wharf and it seemed really lively with many people celebrating together and loud music. I also saw that it was sponsored by British airways because of a billboard next to the venue advertising for their Nashville service. There is no doubt in my mind that this flight to London from BNA will at least succeed, if not upgrade to daily. People around here love nashville as a brand and a city

Dang it, I'm going to be in London tomorrow, wish that had happened this weekend instead.

• Like 1

From today's Nashville Post:

A successful model

Hill Realty’s Jimmy Granbery has mastered formula for his boutique mixed-use developments

AUTHORS William Williams

Jimmy Granbery is chief executive officer of Nashville-based Hill Realty Co. — and only the fourth person to hold that position during the 120-year history of the company.

Granbery was named to the position in 2002 following nine years as its vice president of development, taking the helm three years after the company exited the grocery business in 1999.

Combining a no-nonsense approach with a subtle wit, Granbery oversees Hill Realty’s privately held real estate portfolio, which includes more than 2 million square feet. Granbery spoke with Post Managing Editor William Williams about various Hill projects and approaches.

Ten years have passed since Hill Realty completed Hill Center Green Hills. What are three or four “surprises” that you took from that project — you have said in the past that having a residential component would have been nice — and incorporated into your other developments, whether they are similar or not?

One thing we’ve learned since developing Green Hills is the importance of adding residential if permitted. True mixed-use developments benefit from having a residential component to support urban density and to lessen sprawl and traffic congestion. Having wider sidewalks and better wayfinding systems are two more areas that we’ve honed in on for projects that followed Green Hills. We’ve learned that both are vital for enhancing and enriching the customer experience. Maybe one day Brentwood will adjust its regulations to permit residential.

Hill Realty has a very focused model regarding urban development. The company’s projects are mixed-use and are relatively boutique-y (small scale, pedestrian-friendly, etc.). In addition, the company hires local companies to participate with design, engineering, construction, financing, etc. How flexible is that model?

The model is very flexible. We approach every deal and lease agreement differently based on the development’s location, which we feel makes each project successful and unique. There is no one-size-fits-all mixed-use model.

How “geographically far” from the city’s urban core can you take the model? Could it work, for example, in Murfreesboro or even in a smaller community such as Spring Hill?

Yes, this model can work in a variety of communities. Because of our flexible approach and mix of tenants based on community interest and need, we are able to cater to each market and have unique elements for all, especially in a community with higher education.

Could you “scale the model” to accommodate, say, a 10-story building?

Absolutely. If we were developing Green Hills today, it would be entirely different and would max out on residential and be much denser and taller. The data is clear that residential helps traffic rather than adds to it.

What has been the single-greatest success or unexpected surprise with the projects?

Acceptance by the community where each project is located. When we built Green Hills, people thought we had lost our minds and verbalized their displeasure with no filter. And while not an unexpected surprise, the tremendous success of our tenants has been rewarding to watch unfold.

Conversely, what has been the single-greatest frustration or disappointment with the projects?

The single greatest frustration is too much dependence on the car, a byproduct of our success. It’s hard to be pedestrian-friendly with lots of cars.

It seems that Nashville was late to embrace urban placemaking. The effort as we know it today is not much more than 20 years old, with many peer cities (Charlotte and Austin, in particular) having gotten a jumpstart on us. Thoughts?

While some did get a jumpstart on this and had the vision of urban placemaking before us, Nashville is not unlike many cities across the country that are now embracing higher density and changing demographics. Twenty years ago, residential was not allowed in the commercial services zone district. Now it is. In 1998, we worked with Metro to help shape the city’s first urban design overlay and mixed-use limited zoning categories for Hillsboro Village, which proved to be a model for other areas of the city.

There were many folks who voiced concern about Hill’s demolition of the charming and quirky pre-World War II-constructed retail buildings in Hillsboro Village to make way for Hill Center Acklen. How did you approach/handle that from a personal perspective? Did the criticism sting?

It’s part of the job description. So while I try not to take any criticisms personally, I do actively listen to all perspectives. Ultimately, if I know we are doing the right thing, we just push forward. The reward comes after the fact when most projects are well accepted, which is clear based on the success of our tenants.

On a similar theme, Hill saved and improved the little old-school masonry building (home to Burger Up) at Hill Center Five Points. Did keeping that building and juxtaposing it with the new structure you had constructed create certain challenges and/or opportunities?

Based on the location and site conditions — and many hours of discussion with our development team — it made sense to keep and enhance the building, which can be easier to do at smaller [than typical] sites. We’re pleased with the results and the community has embraced the project.

Hill Center Sylvan Heights seemingly has been very successful. But Charlotte Avenue needs lots more of such projects to truly become an effective linear mixed-use urban district. There is minimal residential on the north side of the segment of the street spanning Interstate 440 on the east and 46th Avenue on the west, thus creating even more “pressure” on the street itself to offer a high level of urbanity. How many years might this require and what will be some keys?

The market will dictate how quickly this vision of a linear mixed-use urban district becomes a reality. It may take much more time than we all would like based on many factors — including lease expirations and the political environment.

What local non-Hill Realty mixed-use urban project — regardless of scale — has been completed in the last few years and that you admire on various levels?

There are many cool projects all over the city that are based on local conditions — politics, topography and existing conditions — that have been very successful. Some are complete and some are in various phases of completion. All said, the non-H.G. Hill Realty project I most admire is Rolling Mill Hill and more specifically, the Trolley Barns. They represent a very cool adaptive reuse.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2017 at 5:12 PM, markhollin said:

Chicago tops the list of cities where people are moving from to live to Nashville:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/09/22/thanks-chicago-the-top-cities-nashvillians-used-to.html

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 4.11.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 4.13.36 PM.png

Strange trend to note, too, because within the last year, an LA family and Chicago family have moved into my parents' neighborhood in North Chattanooga. Beautiful, to be sure, but a run-of-the-mill, mixed-income neighborhood about 50 years+ age. Their neighbor's house was put up for sale, and within 14 hours, it had 17 offers on it- the winning going to Chicago family. I remarked at the time about the events as "very Nashville."

• Like 1

An interesting article in the Las Vegas Review Journal comparing Nashville to Las Vegas, particularly with regard to having an NHL and an NFL team to root for. 

The similarities are striking, from market size to an attractive entertainment destination for tourists to an insatiable appetite for major league professional sports.

Nashville has been devouring the latter for nearly two decades.

Las Vegas just sat down at the dinner table.

If there is a place for Southern Nevada to most closely associate itself with welcoming an NHL expansion team and soon an NFL franchise, it’s where the world’s longest-running live music radio show continues with the Grand Ole Opry.

It's an interesting  dose of Nashville envy from  the least likely of sources. After all, 'Nashvegas'  sometimes tends to look in the opposite direction with a wisp of envy at Vegas's ability to throw a party.

The article concludes with...

“(Major league sports) put a totally different spotlight on your town,” Spyridon said. “It validates a city. It tells you there is enough corporate sponsorship and wealth to sustain. It gives people new and different reasons to travel to your city. Las Vegas will see and experience all the same things we have.

“Things are about to change there forever.”

Maybe they will start calling themselves, 'Las ville' ?    or....maybe not...

:tw_cookie:

• Like 3