Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2017 at 1:03 AM, titanhog said:

This isn't about Nashville...but since we're in a building boom, still interesting.  The leaning tower of San Francisco...and has sunk 17 inches since it was built in 2009.  Bad in any city...but REALLY bad in a city like SF.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/san-franciscos-leaning-tower-of-lawsuits/

I'm curious... in the article it says "You have to go 200 feet below the Millennium Tower, through layers of history in the ground -- below landfill from the time of the gold rush, sand, mud and clay -- to reach solid rock or bedrock" ... how deep do you have to go to get to rock in Nashville? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Binbin98 said:

Nashville is being seen as an up and coming holiday destination in England because of it being a music/party town and it being a gateway to southern roadtrips, also the weather for most of the year is pretty warm which helps. Maybe I will go on holiday with a travel group to my own previous city haha :P

I actually have met both English and Australian tourists more than once on Broadway in the last 6 months.   always for the music.

I actually met some Australians at broadway brewhouse before one of the preds playoff games,  they were in town for fanfair. but where shocked by the hockey. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, volsfanwill said:

I actually have met both English and Australian tourists more than once on Broadway in the last 6 months. 

I met a lovely Polish woman last weekend at a private club on Broadway who was in Nashville to visit her husband's  family, as well as to tour the city to consider moving here. They are moving out of Cleveland and they toured Phoenix, Charlotte, Austin, and Nashville, and our city, by far, felt the most comfortable to them. Funny enough, she said each of the "outer boroughs" reminded  her of her hometown in Poland. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

It’s at the corner of cool springs Blvd and Carothers. If I’m not mistaken the healthways sign is off and some other company’s sign is on. 

Healthways was recently purchased by another company.  What's left of Healthways is now called 'Tivity' and they only take up the ground floor.  The rest of the building is occupied by the company that purchased Healthways.  (Can't remember the name)

• Like 1

The Grand Prix of Nashville plans are scrapped.  Too bad---but I understand what a logistical battle it would've been for the downtown area on top of all the other special events that are staged in the summer months. The second article link (NBJ) gives glimmers that it might still happen in a different form.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/11/14/grand-prix-nashville-proposal-nissan-stadium-scrapped/861967001/

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/11/14/nashville-grand-prix-plans-stall-but-organizers.html

• Sad 1

This may be kind of random, but I have always thought Nashville should be marketed as an alternative to hollywood, mainly because of the music (and now TV industry) that seems to be big and growing here, and also due to the fact that many musicians and celebrities now call Nashville home. Nashville also doesn't have many paparazzis and the general population seems to respect celebrities privacy for the most part, as well as Nashville having a more relaxed style of living than LA (for now at least). I feel if the Nashville Chamber and Tourism Bureau marketed the city as such (especially now after the whole Harvey Weinstein scandal in Hollywood), this could not only encourage more celebrities to move here but also encourage more tourists to come to Nashville to see said celebrities and therefore make our city more money and more popular than it already is. This is just my idea of course but I feel this could easily be done.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Binbin98 said:

This may be kind of random, but I have always thought Nashville should be marketed as an alternative to hollywood, mainly because of the music (and now TV industry) that seems to be big and growing here, and also due to the fact that many musicians and celebrities now call Nashville home. Nashville also doesn't have many paparazzis and the general population seems to respect celebrities privacy for the most part, as well as Nashville having a more relaxed style of living than LA (for now at least). I feel if the Nashville Chamber and Tourism Bureau marketed the city as such (especially now after the whole Harvey Weinstein scandal in Hollywood), this could not only encourage more celebrities to move here but also encourage more tourists to come to Nashville to see said celebrities and therefore make our city more money and more popular than it already is. This is just my idea of course but I feel this could easily be done.

I've always thought this would be a good idea personally.  I mean, do you really think there's another similarly sized city that could pull it off?  Raleigh isn't exactly a tourist draw and Austin is cool, but only on the surface.   

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, FrankNash said:

^^^It's a Nashville thing.  People from  here  don't think that  celebrities are any different  or special.  

I know some celebrities. They have platinum albums, Grammy awards and even Emmys. They are soccer moms and Dads and band parents and work in the local community theater. In other words, they are regular people with interesting jobs. 

• Like 3