smeagolsfree

Nashville Bits and Pieces

You may be right. The tax plan is complicated and I am not sure it will work out. Guess we ae going to have to and and see.  

Frankly I am just too tired to follow all of the particulars. We will have to see if it passes first to see what transpires.

Nashville's architectural community is ready to have their voices heard, which is why 100 architects participated in the Nashville Civic Design Center's newly opened "Letters to the Mayor" exhibit.

Participants weighed in on what they think Mayor Megan Barry needs to focus on in the coming years as the city's white-hot development boom continues. Some of the city's biggest names in design — including Manuel Zeitlin, Kim Hawkins, Brian Tibbs and many others — are featured in the exhibit, which debuted last week at the Civic Design Center's downtown location.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/12/05/mayor-barry-gets-advice-from-nashvilles-architect.html

• Like 2

8 hours ago, markhollin said:

Nashville Hoods. It's not fully accurate, but still pretty cool.  

Nashville Hoods.jpg

I notice they only include the "hip" places in town.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, titanhog said:

That looks like the pre-consolidation boundaries.  Maybe thats what they were going for.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

That looks like the pre-consolidation boundaries.  Maybe thats what they were going for.

I didn’t know Nations wasn’t in the pre-consolidation boundary. I agree, if they left Nations out it couldn’t just be the hip areas that are included. 

That paricular piece of art is about 5 years old. Was pretty cool, and is already outdated as there are a lot more trendy areas. I hate the term hip and hipster and all the other labels that are used these days.

On 12/8/2017 at 9:35 AM, markhollin said:

Nashville Hoods. It's not fully accurate, but still pretty cool.  

Nashville Hoods.jpg

No Nippers Corner? Antioch? Left off a rather sizeable chunk of the city off.

26 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Nashville added 43,000+ jobs from January 2017 to October 2017; from 950,000 to 993,000. 4.6% change is highest growth of largest cities in the nation and u/e rate of 2.4%, lowest in the nation.

Folks, that number is actually amazing. 

Per USA Today 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/careers/2017/12/11/25-cities-adding-and-losing-most-jobs-2017/934148001/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-newstopstories

Four TN cities on this list: Nashville 4.6% (43,000); Morristown 4.2% (2000); Chattanooga 3.8% (9400); JC 3.7% (3150)

It lists “mining, logging, and construction” as the prime drivers of the growth, which is obviously primarily construction in Nashville’s case. Evidence of Nashville’s explosive growth, and like you say it’s amazing. We’re probably over 1,000,000 jobs by now, or will be in a few weeks. 

On 12/8/2017 at 6:35 PM, titanhog said:

Well they left out BNA which is, judging by # of baseball hats I've seen, the hippest place in town.

• Haha 2

• Like 1

I am posting this chart from another website as it puts in perspective Nashville's recent MSA growth as compared to other cities.

27279611839_eeb5406fc6_z.jpg

Obviously it was developed by a poster from Texas as those cities are high lighted.  

• Like 2

The Barnes Housing Trust Fund, a grant program within the Nashville Mayor’s Office of Housing, will partner with local nonprofit organization The Housing Fund to create the city’s first community land trust, an entity designed to own the land under affordable housing units.

The land trust model can cap resale prices for housing on its land in order “to combat displacement and preserve affordability in neighborhoods in transition,” according to a release from Mayor Megan Barry’s office.

More info here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/politics/metro-government/article/20986545/barnes-fund-brings-on-partner-for-land-trust