Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

13 hours ago, fishsticks176 said:

"Tennessee to receive $13 million annually in AirBNB tax revenue agreement". 

http://fox17.com/news/local/tennessee-to-receive-13-million-annually-in-airbnb-tax-revenue-agreement

Maybe this will help ease tensions a bit. 

Sorry, but no it won't.     Homeowners whose residential zoned neighborhoods are being overrun by investor-owned STRs will not be appeased in the least by Airbnb's attempt to buy Metro council approval. 

• Like 1

Just now, CenterHill said:

Sorry, but no it won't.     Homeowners whose residential zoned neighborhoods are being overrun by investor-owned STRs will not be appeased in the least by Airbnb's attempt to buy Metro council approval. 

It won't affect the number of STR permits issued or create any leniencies in restrictions of current STRs if I understand correctly. 

I came across the article on the Nashville Reddit thread and a lot of people seemed somewhat placated actually. I think a lot of the more conservative residents just feel sucked dry by all these new tax increases (whether they affect them or not) and being *given* tax money back by a company just feels like a small victory, even if mainly only an ideological one. 

1 hour ago, fishsticks176 said:

It won't affect the number of STR permits issued or create any leniencies in restrictions of current STRs if I understand correctly. 

I came across the article on the Nashville Reddit thread and a lot of people seemed somewhat placated actually. I think a lot of the more conservative residents just feel sucked dry by all these new tax increases (whether they affect them or not) and being *given* tax money back by a company just feels like a small victory, even if mainly only an ideological one. 

Yeah...always has to be a "conservative", huh? <_<

16 hours ago, fishsticks176 said:

"Tennessee to receive $13 million annually in AirBNB tax revenue agreement". 

http://fox17.com/news/local/tennessee-to-receive-13-million-annually-in-airbnb-tax-revenue-agreement

Maybe this will help ease tensions a bit. 

Interesting, as that is not how I see it.   Airbnb for several years was on the record for saying they would not collect and remit taxes in TN unless the State and Local governments were on the same page.  In my view, making this announcement on the day after what was supposed to be (snow delayed until next Tuesday) the final metro vote on this round of STR regulations, tips Airbnb's hands.   My interpretation is that Airbnb feels they have the regulations from the state that they want coming down the pike.

Edited by thenorthchannel

2 hours ago, fishsticks176 said:

"sucked dry" that always gets me, not singling you out. When did it become such a burden for people to be part of this country and pay their way. If these people that have that feeling live in their houses and use no governments services sure, they can have that feeling but I doubt there are many hide-a-way hermits living in Davidson country haha.

Ugh, mini rant over :tw_expressionless:

• Like 2

I read and occasionally post on the Nashville Reddit as well. There are some good members and discussion there but I really try to avoid it more often than not. It's become a bit of a beacon for people to complain about growth and transplants to the point where even the most positive news story will have comment sections overflowing with negativity.  To put it in perspective, one of the most popular posters there is an account that constantly complains about this recent wave of transplants when in fact they are a California transplant who moved here a couple of years ago. You'll see a lot of resentment toward all of the "condo" towers going up :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

"sucked dry" that always gets me, not singling you out. When did it become such a burden for people to be part of this country and pay their way. If these people that have that feeling live in their houses and use no governments services sure, they can have that feeling but I doubt there are many hide-a-way hermits living in Davidson country haha.

'Pay their way' is a pretty broad term.... 

There are many reasons a person would not want to 'pay their way'.... a few immediately come to mind...if they are being forced to 'pay' for programs to be implemented which they do not support or if they believe their monies are being misallocated or spent in an inefficient or ruinous manner.

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

Yeah...always has to be a "conservative", huh? <_<

Fiscal conservative, yeah. 

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Paul, I agree (for the most part). I wasn't expressing my own viewpoint, just what I witness from the discussions on there. Henburg is right: That sub is filled with anti-growth rants, which is why I was surprised to see such a positive take on this. Anyway, I'm not going to pretend to know exactly what the announcement signifies, but that's the latest development in this Nashville-AirBnB war. 

• Like 3

The job growth that has benefited Tennessee in recent years is expected to continue, said Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta President Raphael Bostic on a visit to Nashville.

"The economy has actually done quite well and my expectation is that it is going to continue to do well," Bostic said Friday, speaking at an event hosted by the bank's Nashville branch. "Job growth is going to continue robustly."

His remarks came the day after the Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development announced a 3.2 percent unemployment rate, which remained below the national rate of 4.1 percent. Statewide, 28,700 nonfarm jobs were created in 2017.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2018/01/19/job-growth-continue-robustly-says-federal-reserve-atlanta-president-bostic/1042092001/

• Like 1

Declining inventory created an intense housing market in 2017, with Nashville-area homes selling significantly faster and at higher prices compared to the figures of one year ago.

RE/MAX Tennessee recently conducted an analysis of the area’s housing market, with Clarksville, Franklin, Murfreesboro and Nashville all seeing an increase in home sale prices of at least 6 percent from year to year.

The number of days on the market for homes in 2017 in Nashville was 43, compared to 58 in 2016.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20989428/notes-work-starts-on-dickerson-hampton-inn

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

I think it’s kind of unfair to characterize their issues over taxation as a desire to not pay their fair share. There’s a difference between not wanting to be taxed at all - which leads to complete anarchy - and wanting to be taxed less and more simply (less fees here and there for everything). Wanting a reduced, less intrusive and less involved government isn’t necessarily the same thing as not wanting a government at all. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, henburg said:

I read and occasionally post on the Nashville Reddit as well. There are some good members and discussion there but I really try to avoid it more often than not. It's become a bit of a beacon for people to complain about growth and transplants to the point where even the most positive news story will have comment sections overflowing with negativity.  To put it in perspective, one of the most popular posters there is an account that constantly complains about this recent wave of transplants when in fact they are a California transplant who moved here a couple of years ago. You'll see a lot of resentment toward all of the "condo" towers going up :rolleyes:

Lol I recently saw something on the news where people were marching in Nashville (maybe east, but not sure) against gentrification. A couple of the protesters they interviewed were millennial hipsters who relocated from Miami like 5 years ago. Needless to say they didn’t realize the irony that their presence caused. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, henburg said:

The poster you're referring to actually has some interesting things to say and backs up their possibly controversial remarks with facts and well reasoned arguments.  There are others on /r/nashville that repeat the same tired jokes and memes in their full blown anti-transit/density/mls/etc attacks "hurr durr how is dj barry going to pay for the mls and shiny trains on a dj's salary LOL".  I just downvote and move on, they are not worth engaging or taking seriously.