Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

21 minutes ago, nashville_bound said:

Total wildcard, but I saw core drilling in the parking lot across from the JW and Cambria Hotels yesterday ....NW corner of Demonbreun and 8th South. I believe it is owned by the Lutheran Church. Any info...?

Half the lot (.73 acres) is owned by the Lutheran Church and the other half (closest to the JW, .61 acres) is owned by CGM, LLC. 

• Like 2

And.....now the other shoe has dropped...

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/02/01/district-attorney-asks-tbi-to-investigate-barry-s.html?ana=e_nsh_bn_breakingnews&u=ugSD45LqOYSZg4E6uBl%2BpbdPa%2BA&t=1517508436&j=79768671

District Attorney Glenn Funk has asked the Tennessee Bureau of Investigations to look into Nashville Mayor Megan Barry’s affair with her head of security for potential misappropriation or misconduct.

Specifically, according to a brief statement issued Thursday, Funk has asked “TBI Director Mark Gwyn to investigate whether Mayor Megan Barry and/or others, including Sgt. Rob Forrest, violated any criminal law including misappropriation of public funds and official misconduct.”

Media reports have raised questions about travel expenses and overtime paid to Forrest, who retired Wednesday.

Forrest received more than $75,000 in overtime during the 2016-2017 fiscal year, up from the $34,000 per year in overtime he averaged during the final three years of Karl Dean's second term, according to NewChannel 5.

Barry has denied breaking any laws.

Gerst Haus closing next week. From the TENNESSEAN...

Nashville is losing one of its iconic restaurants this month when The Gerst Haus closes its doors after more than 60 years.

The last day of business will be Saturday, Feb. 10, the restaurant confirmed Friday morning. ....

....The restaurant opened in its existing spot at 301 Woodland St. in 2000.....

.....The Gerst Haus opened in its original location in 1955, serving German food such as wiener schnitzel, bratwurst and corned beef and cabbage. Today the restaurant has 26 beers on tap, a large selection of imported brews and is known for its fishbowl-sized mugs of beer. 

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

Gerst Haus closing next week. From the TENNESSEAN...

Man, soooooo many family memories there - and probably more at the original location. For decades we had a tradition of eating there a week or 2 before Christmas. 4 things come to mind: the fishbowl glasses of ice cold beer, oyster rolls (used to be good, then got yucky), white beans with horseradish....and the bratwurst plate.  The food quality dropped, but dang, it's an iconic part of old Nashville.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Buildtall said:

I know most on here don’t like sticks but I actually like them. Except for the color choices. I just wish they had been made of something besides wood. Stainless would have been ok or acrylic that lite up at night. Just my 2 cents.

I actually agree with this.  I am fine with the concept, I just think it was very poorly executed.  I think they should be made of some kind of shiny artificial material that looks more visually stunning and wouldnt weather.  I also think they need much more dramatic lighting and landscaping around.  As they are right now, they really are just a bunch of rapidly fading, weathering telephone poles.

• Like 3

I actually agree with this.  I am fine with the concept, I just think it was very poorly executed.  I think they should be made of some kind of shiny artificial material that looks more visually stunning and wouldnt weather.  I also think they need much more dramatic lighting and landscaping around.  As they are right now, they really are just a bunch of rapidly fading, weathering telephone poles.

I agree with you there, however I think it would have been awesome if they could have each individual cell/stick lit from the inside; perhaps using LEDs on the inside of different colors... or even the color changing variety. At night, it would be quite a display... especially the color changing variety. (By day, you wouldn't even be able to tell that they were able to be lit at night.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dReAmWiELdEr said:

I agree with you there, however I think it would have been awesome if they could have each individual cell/stick lit from the inside; perhaps using LEDs on the inside of different colors... or even the color changing variety. At night, it would be quite a display... especially the color changing variety. (By day, you wouldn't even be able to tell that they were able to be lit at night.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally agree.  There was actually a night time rendering that came along at some point that made me think that it was exactly that.  The little gold stripes looked like they were glowing in the dark, which got me very intrigued, to say the least.  So when I saw that it was all just paint on wood, I was pretty disappointed.

• Like 1

The white, blue, and orange is an odd, but not necessarily bad concept, but when I see the mixture on peeling, gross telephone poles, it just looks so tacky and cheap.  Originally it was supposed to go from smallest width, at the ground, growing to wider points at the top. Also it was supposed to be lit like THIS at night.....

stixnight-e1441140047175.png

10 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Yeah...once we all realized this was just a bunch of telephone poles...and they even delivered them here unpainted...it was obvious this was a "half-***" attempt at art.

Yes. How did it go so wrong with no oversight? These people were granted hundreds of thousands of dollars for this and I cant help feeling like they pulled the biggest prank ever on Metro.

Edited by NashvilleObserver
  • Like 3