Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Billions for mass-transportation, millions for public art, hundreds of millions for infrastructure...yet non of that matters if Nashvillians do not feel safe. 

Not saying the city should not pursue these items in parallel , yet the priority MUST be on quality of life and that starts with crime prevention!

These headlines are worrying and the trend is ominous ....nothing scuttles an 'IT'city like crime headlines.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/crime/2018/02/15/nashville-crime-green-hills-east-nashville/343461002/

44 minutes ago, nashville_bound said:

Billions for mass-transportation, millions for public art, hundreds of millions for infrastructure...yet non of that matters if Nashvillians do not feel safe. 

Not saying the city should not pursue these items in parallel , yet the priority MUST be on quality of life and that starts with crime prevention!

These headlines are worrying and the trend is ominous ....nothing scuttles an 'IT'city like crime headlines.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/crime/2018/02/15/nashville-crime-green-hills-east-nashville/343461002/

And it seems like the police are on it. Crime is concentrated in low income areas in this city(as in most). When it comes to areas like Green Hills and gentrified East Nashville we start taking it seriously, which is a shame. 

A task force is a headline grabber ... let's see results not lip-service. Are you speaking for yourself regarding taking crime seriously in low income neighborhoods? You are not speaking for me. I am a staunch supporter of law-enforcement protecting all our citizens from thuggery run amuck! The trend nationwide in urban areas is a huge uptick in violent crime coinciding with soft on-crime-politicians tying the hands of law enforcement.  

...and historically low unemployment for blacks and Hispanics and whites....so somewhat of a surprise.

Edited by Guest

30 minutes ago, nashville_bound said:

A task force is a headline grabber ... let's see results not lip-service. Are you speaking for yourself regarding taking crime seriously in low income neighborhoods? You are not speaking for me. I am a staunch supporter of law-enforcement protecting all our citizens from thuggery run amuck! The trend nationwide in urban areas is a huge uptick in violent crime coinciding with soft on-crime-politicians tying the hands of law enforcement.  

...and historically low unemployment for blacks and Hispanics and whites....so somewhat of a surprise.

Where is this trend you speak of? Stats tell a far different story. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-02-12/pssst-crime-may-be-near-an-all-time-low

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, samsonh said:

Where is this trend you speak of? Stats tell a far different story. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-02-12/pssst-crime-may-be-near-an-all-time-low

Violent crime rates have been nationally dropping like crazy for a couple of decades (a fact often ‘forgotten’ by all sides of political debates), but Nashville has seen an unfortunate uptick in homicides in the past few years. We’ve gone from around 40-45 murders in like 2013 and 2014 to over 100 last year, close to an all-time high. Hopefully it’s just an aberration, but I think it’s worthy of concern and action, which the police seem to think too. 

6 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

Violent crime rates have been nationally dropping like crazy for a couple of decades (a fact often ‘forgotten’ by all sides of political debates), but Nashville has seen an unfortunate uptick in homicides in the past few years. We’ve gone from around 40-45 murders in like 2013 and 2014 to over 100 last year, close to an all-time high. Hopefully it’s just an aberration, but I think it’s worthy of concern and action, which the police seem to think too. 

Agreed we have seen an uptick.  I am guessing most of these crimes are drug related, and there needs to be action taken.  Although I most likely have different thoughts than you guys on what those actions should be. 

Crime in urban areas has rocket up.... based out our preious conversations I have no doubt you and I diverge regarding how to tackle the crime spree....however my way is the leading reason crime dropped in urban areas in the 90s...stop and frisk and do not tolerate low level transgressions...

8 minutes ago, nashville_bound said:

Crime in urban areas has rocket up.... based out our preious conversations I have no doubt you and I diverge regarding how to tackle the crime spree....however my way is the leading reason crime dropped in urban areas in the 90s...stop and frisk and do not tolerate low level transgressions...

Did you read the article I linked? Crime is near all time lows. You cannot just say something and have it be true. 

"To repeat: Violent crime was possibly near or at an all-time low in the U.S. in 2014, and while it's up a bit since then, it is still quite low by historical standards. Yet except for in 2000 and 2001, most of the Americans contacted by Gallup's pollsters -- usually in the same surveys in which a majority reported feeling safe walking around their neighborhoods alone at night -- have voiced the opinion that crime is on the rise nationally"

Edited by samsonh
  • Like 2

Normally I just go along with the mods (and I guess you may just delete this comment), but for heaven’s sake this is ‘bits and pieces thread’.

I stated a point directly relevant to Nashville citizens... (...)... much more on point to those I interact with daily than 90% of the posts on the board.

I did not read the post you deleted, but why not just delete the inflammatory post (if it was inflammatory....not sure since it was deleted), and let others discuss?

i am not trying to dredge up the past....I just now returned to the thread and would like to address the responses to my post.

...  _._.  ._.  .  .__   _.__  ___  . ._

Edited by Guest

Hey_Hey,

i agree drugs have to be a component. And yes, the increase in crime seems concentrated in urban areas. So, while we may be in a historically low crime rate era, the 3-5 year trend is an acceleration in violent crime in urban areas. Anecdotally, I am a resident of downtown, My family and I gave been threatened with violence on two occasions in the last 18 months....this is after experiencing no threats in the previous 12 years...so yeah it is a concern.

http://time.com/4607059/murder-rate-increase-us-cities-2016/

https://www.cnn.com/2016/07/25/politics/violent-crime-report-us-cities-homicides-rapes/index.html

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

How much do you guys think hotel rates are going to drop over the next couple of years because of the abundance of new rooms coming online?  Gotta be a significant change...right?

I think there was actually an article in the NBJ about this a couple days ago. It was behind the paywall so I’m not exactly positive it was, though. I would have to expect they’d go down quite a bit considering the added room numbers. I can’t wait for it, I’d love to stay at some of the 4th avenue rehabs without spending $400 a pop. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nashville_bound said:

At 20.32 you can see the Masonic Temple Alex Palmer tore own to make Lake Palmer.

20.32 is at the end of the video.  I thought I saw it at about 7.26.

Other things that made me nostalgic while watching that video:  the Nashville Banner, Mrs. Winners (I was addicted to their Super Cinnamon Swirls), Tower Records, tourists on Demonbreun Hill, and the lack of traffic on West End.

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 1