Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

TBI investigation of the mayor and her bodyguard just got a little interesting.  Really hope this stuff gets squared away quickly so as to not effect our forward movement on vital projects.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/02/22/megan-barry-affair-nude-cell-phone-photos-deleted-chats-may-show-evidence-crime-mayor-megan-barry/360898002/

According to timecard records referenced in the TBI affidavit, Forrest clocked in to work at 7:30 a.m. on May 15 and clocked out at 3:30 p.m. He then clocked in for overtime until 9:30 p.m.

On Forrest’s phone there were nude images of a woman the TBI believes to be Barry that were taken during the time that Forrest reported receiving overtime, according to the affidavit.

“This image is of a nude female lying on a bed with a black purse beside her,” the TBI affidavit states.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

^What a player and man.  The Predators are so lucky to have Pek in goal.  

Speaking of Preds with Finnish origins, I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but Predators' prospect Eeli Tolvanen has been playing out of his mind for the Finland National Team during the winter olympics.

Hope we can get him on the squad around playoff time.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

^What a player and man.  The Predators are so lucky to have Pek in goal.  

Speaking of Preds with Finnish origins, I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but Predators' prospect Eeli Tolvanen has been playing out of his mind for the Finland National Team during the winter olympics.

Praying we don't trade him. Apparently every team in the NHL has asked for him via trade. Predators can potentially get Mike Fisher and Eeli Tolvanen for nothing... 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

A great piece on the fabric of Paris being lost...A familiar read, but a different venue.

https://www.city-journal.org/html/architectural-sacking-paris-15655.html

Thanks for sharing, n_b.    It’s a very well-written piece of architectural critique.    While few cities can compare themselves to Paris, cities everywhere, including ours, struggle with the tension between preserving their architectural heritage and allowing it to be replaced with new structures that fail the urban fabric on many levels.   

This quote in particular resonated: 

That postwar architects cannot make anything beautiful is so widely understood to be true that no one bothers to ask why they cannot. It is just an aspect of modern living, like air travel and the Internet.  Urban architecture has not declined because modern democracies can’t afford to build attractive buildings.     It would not cost dramatically more, and would certainly be more popular, to build replicas of well-liked Parisian landmarks.  The argument that France is too poor to build attractive buildings makes no sense—still less because of its improved labor productivity, engineering techniques, and access to materials. Indeed, the modern buildings tend to be stunningly expensive and wasteful.

• Like 4

^^WOW... wow... that is an absolutely stunning work of art.  I cannot imagine how much time and dedication was required to produce such a detailed and stunningly accurate piece.  Thank you so much for sharing that... no joke, I just spent about 45 minutes examining that map... wound up cancelling brunch plans with a friend in order to do it... of course, I didn't tell her the actual reason I 'couldnt make it.'  haha

BTW, I think it's funny that the artist quite literally drew the shanty towns north of the capitol building out of the picture... perhaps that was upon the request of whoever paid for this work?

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

When did Nashville rename downtown's north-south streets with numbers?  If I'm reading the map correctly, instead of 1st Ave, 2nd Ave 3rd Ave, etc., we had Front Street, College Street, Cherry Street, Summer Street, High Street,  Spruce Street, and others.  It is a little confusing today that numbered avenues are downtown, while numbered streets are across the river from downtown.

3 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

When did Nashville rename downtown's north-south streets with numbers?  If I'm reading the map correctly, instead of 1st Ave, 2nd Ave 3rd Ave, etc., we had Front Street, College Street, Cherry Street, Summer Street, High Street,  Spruce Street, and others.  It is a little confusing today that numbered avenues are downtown, while numbered streets are across the river from downtown.

i'm guessing 1903 per this *page:

https://www.nashvilledowntown.com/go/second-avenue

also, another interesting one:

http://nashvillehistory.blogspot.com/2010/01/nashville-street-name-changes.html

Edited by e-dub
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, e-dub said:

Thanks for posting that.  I wonder why they made the changes.

1 hour ago, TNinVB said:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/arts/2018/03/01/free-carousel-artist-rallies-resurrect-old-red-grooms-riverfront-ride/372699002/

Interesting article regarding the Red Grooms carousel that was at Riverfront Park. It’s a shame that it’s sitting in storage. I feel If it was brought back, it would do much bette. Not sure if it should go in the same location or not. Any thoughts on a better location? The article states that the museum has the $100k for the repairs but the roughly 1 million needed for land and structure to house and operate the carousel is the issue. Isn’t there a carousel in Brooklyn, NY that is inside a nice enclosure? 

Someplace like the plaza at Bridgestone Arena would be great (not that it should be placed there...but just someplace like that where  a lot of people / families mingle)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

Someplace like the plaza at Bridgestone Arena would be great (not that it should be placed there...but just someplace like that where  a lot of people / families mingle)

I think it'd be a perfect centerpiece of the hypothetical T-shaped pedestrian mall/plaza several of us, including myself, have suggested should be put in the alleyway that goes from the Schermerhorn right through to Broadway!

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3