Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

5 hours ago, TNinVB said:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/arts/2018/03/01/free-carousel-artist-rallies-resurrect-old-red-grooms-riverfront-ride/372699002/

Interesting article regarding the Red Grooms carousel that was at Riverfront Park. It’s a shame that it’s sitting in storage. I feel If it was brought back, it would do much bette. Not sure if it should go in the same location or not. Any thoughts on a better location? The article states that the museum has the $100k for the repairs but the roughly 1 million needed for land and structure to house and operate the carousel is the issue. Isn’t there a carousel in Brooklyn, NY that is inside a nice enclosure? 

Our carousel is inside a nice building. The animals on the poles were carved by local citizens. 

2 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I think it'd be a perfect centerpiece of the hypothetical T-shaped pedestrian mall/plaza several of us, including myself, have suggested should be put in the alleyway that goes from the Schermerhorn right through to Broadway!

I  forgot about that area. I  think that would be a great spot for it. 

Edited by TNinVB
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2018 at 11:18 AM, BnaBreaker said:

^^WOW... wow... that is an absolutely stunning work of art.  I cannot imagine how much time and dedication was required to produce such a detailed and stunningly accurate piece.  Thank you so much for sharing that... no joke, I just spent about 45 minutes examining that map... wound up cancelling brunch plans with a friend in order to do it... of course, I didn't tell her the actual reason I 'couldnt make it.'  haha

BTW, I think it's funny that the artist quite literally drew the shanty towns north of the capitol building out of the picture... perhaps that was upon the request of whoever paid for this work?

The artist didn't draw out the shanty towns north of the Capitol building.  I've seen photos of this time where those blocks were completely barren.  French Lick Creek runs right through there.  If I'm not mistaken, it had just been buried in an underground culvert around the time of the map.  Prior to that time, it had been a free-flowing creek.  However, the area still flooded frequently; and consequently, the area was slow to be built upon.

Map from 1860s, showing above ground creek, and lack of structures along it:
http://www.bigmapblog.com/2011/us40-38-nashville-tennessee-historical-map-1860s-us-army/

• Like 3

Pittsburgh-based PNC Bank has officially staked its claim in Music City. PNC has hired  Michael Johnson to lead its Nashville loan-production office, snagging the veteran commercial banker from competitor Wells Fargo's local team, the bank revealed exclusively to the Nashville Business Journal. PNC also will relocate two of its bankers — John Brown from Louisville and Chelsea Peterson from Atlanta — to help Johnson launch the bank's Nashville presence.

The $381 billion-asset lender announced its intention to enter the Nashville market in July as part of a national expansion. This comes as the region’s economy soars and the area plans to absorb an additional million residents over the next 20 years. PNC is joining several local and out-of-town lenders that are anxious to have their own portion of Greater Nashville's boom.

Full story behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/03/05/exclusive-381-billion-lender-names-nashville-chief.html

• Like 2

On 3/5/2018 at 8:42 AM, Griz83 said:

The artist didn't draw out the shanty towns north of the Capitol building.  I've seen photos of this time where those blocks were completely barren.  French Lick Creek runs right through there.  If I'm not mistaken, it had just been buried in an underground culvert around the time of the map.  Prior to that time, it had been a free-flowing creek.  However, the area still flooded frequently; and consequently, the area was slow to be built upon.

Map from 1860s, showing above ground creek, and lack of structures along it:
http://www.bigmapblog.com/2011/us40-38-nashville-tennessee-historical-map-1860s-us-army/

It has Demonbreun st spelled as Demombrane. 

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

So now that she is resigning, I assume everyone won't have a problem with the transit plan anymore correct? 

No sir. It's still a misdirected, unnecessarily expensive plan, regardless of who the mayor is or who came up with it.

Dayum!! They updated that Wikipedia page in a hurry!!!

40614227432_8eaea700a7_b.jpg

Sorry for the fuzzy picture, but here is what it says....

C. David Briley

(born January 8, 1964)

David Briley is the Mayor of the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County. He was elected in 2015 as vice-mayor and is to be sworn-in as mayor after Megan Barry's resignation.

EDUCATION[edit]

David Briley is a legacy Nashvillian. His early education included Glendale Elementary School, Lipscomb Middle School, and Montgomery Bell Academy.

He earned a Bachelor's from Georgetown University before traveling to Latin America where he volunteered as a teacher of English. He completed his JD at Golden Gate University in San Francisco and received honors for administrative and environmental law.

POLITICAL[edit]

Briley was elected to serve as an At Large Metro Councilman for Davidson County from 1999 to 2007. He was the Vice-Chair of the Budget and Finance Committee and held seats on the Personnel, Public Information, Human Relations and Housing Committee, the Traffic and Parking Committee and the Greenways Committee. He was past Chair of the Ad Hoc Committee on Solid Waste and the Water Rate Oversight Committee.

David Briley was voted Best Council Member by the Nashville Scene in 2001, 2002 and 2006 and was spotlighted as one of "40 under 40" by Business Nashville magazine in June 2000.

In November 2006, David Briley announced his candidacy for Mayor of Nashville. His campaign included a number of familiar political faces, including Will Cheek Jr, and member of the Democratic National Committee and former chair of the Tennessee Democratic Party, and his son, Will Cheek III, an attorney at the firm of Bone McAllester Norton. Jerry Martin, who served at Finance Director under Congressman Jim Cooper in 2002, chaired the campaign's finance committee. Emily Passini was campaign manager; Drew Stanieuski was deputy campaign manager. Sarah Lingo was finance director and Alex Youn was director of field operations.

In 2015, David Briley was elected Vice Mayor of Nashville.

• Like 1

Whiners and complainers was in relation to it just being an affair, like anyone is so perfect in their lives.

Stealing is not acceptable no matter who you are and what side you are on!

I know absolutely nothing about Briley, what are the odds that a person in the seat for a few months isn't going to be a lame duck?